Fox big brakes and wheels - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-09-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
Fox big brakes and wheels

So, I am in the process of converting my 85 gt to larger brakes and rear discs for the purpose of running open track days. I have already picked up sn95 spindles and hubs. I was planning on going 2000 cobra r all the way around and 17" wheels but am starting to think of the 14" brembo setup and 18"fr500 wheels. My ?'s are,1- is the 14" setup going to be that much better than 13". And 2) Are 18" wheels and tires that much of an upgrade over 17". I have already converted the MC/booster to 93 cobra spec. I'm probably overthinking this for an OTD car but see that brakes are very important on the track and my car is making about 475hp n/a at the wheels so I'm hitting 100+ mph on the track. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-09-2017, 05:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Which 14" Brembo setup are you referring to? I know there used to be a conversion setup from Vintage Venom to use the 14" Brembos from the S197s on Fox and SN95s, but I thought Vintage Venom had disappeared a while back. Edit: I see Fully Torqued Racing is still offering kits for the 14" Brembos.

Anyway, assuming that's what you're referring to, and assuming those kits are still available somewhere, I would say it will be a significant upgrade for track duty. The 14" Brembo setup is not only bigger rotors, but also significantly bigger calipers and pads. Not that the '00 R setup won't work, but the newer 14" setup offers more of everything. Sounds like you've got plenty of GO!, so it's always good to have plenty of WHOA! to go along with it.

As for 17"s vs 18"s, it's worth looking at tire selection in the sizes you'd be thinking of running. For now the 17" R-compounds are pretty much all still available, but with wide 17" street tire options getting scarce, I'd be worried that 17" R-compounds will follow that same trend.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #3 of 9 Old 07-09-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Well, I was thinking of going 18" because of the much wider choice of wheels and since I haven't done the brake upgrade yet why not go 14". Will my current 93 cobra MC/booster work? Will 11.6" cobra r rear work with the 14" fronts? That may be the deciding factor if it does/doesn't. Yeah, after some research it looks like vintage venom is no more. And I'd need a 1-1/16" MC. I checked fully torqued and they do have a kit, it's out of stock though(might be able to get the calipers/rotors from ford). I'm not sure I'm crazy about the 3/4" wheel spacers though. I've never used spacers, can they be problematic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-08-2017, 11:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I've been looking into brake kits also and stop tech has a lot of useful information on their website. It might be bias as they want you to buy their brakes but I have not found information this in depth on any other manufacturers site and it makes sense to me. The

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...alance-matters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 Old 08-09-2017, 09:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
On my 86 Vert, I ran the Cobra 13" rotor and two-pot PBRs combined with a 10.25" rotor and single piston caliper on the rear for quite some time. I mostly auto crossed that set-up but did run one PDX at Summit Point Main. Main has a long straight that ends in a sharp 180* right. While that old 86 had nowhere near your power, I hit 115 on that straight and the brakes pulled the car down with ease. 20 minute sessions, four times that event. Ambient was in the high 60s; no cooling ducts. Pads were Hawk HPS all around.

Since, I've converted to a Stop Tech ST40 (4-pot) 14" up front and the 11.65" Cobra rotors and calipers in the rear. The ST 14" rotor is not only 1" bigger in diameter, it is also thicker than the factory Cobra 13" rotor. I also went to an aluminum hat on the front. Better heat control. The nice thing about Stop Tech's Mustang kits for Fox/SN cars is that they are designed to work with the Cobra brake components so the system is properly balanced. No need to change M/Cs, boosters, etc. However, that big caliper required an 18" wheel to clear.

When considering BBKs, need to check whether the kit will work with existing components, and wheel clearance. Most manufacturers offer templates to check clearance.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-11-2017, 11:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
I run the 13 inch Stoptech BBK. As noted above the Stoptech kits are designed to work with cobra rear brakes and are balanced nicely. I have no problems slowing the car down repeatedly on track. The 13 inch kit will work with 17 inch Cobra R rims.

1986-045 Saleen Mustang Griggs GR40, 408W RDI aluminum block, AFR 205, T56
1999 Porsche 911 Carerra - Stock
1999 BMW M Coupe - Stock
post #7 of 9 Old 08-12-2017, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

What MC/booster are you two running?
post #8 of 9 Old 08-12-2017, 01:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Down View Post
What MC/booster are you two running?
Was running stock 86 booster and 93 Cobra M/C. No problems with that combo. Since the rebuild, I went to the 93 Cobra booster. This was not so much because I didn't like the brake boost, but more in line with the whole combo. Besides, the bay looks lots better with the newer booster. The 86 booster was funky looking and 30 years old. Also easier to get in with the motor out.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-13-2017, 07:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
93 Cobra

1986-045 Saleen Mustang Griggs GR40, 408W RDI aluminum block, AFR 205, T56
1999 Porsche 911 Carerra - Stock
1999 BMW M Coupe - Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement