Which tires to use? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Calypso92LX
  • 1 Post By The Blurr

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2017, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (12)
Which tires to use?

I did 5 events in the novice class last year and when I get home this summer (early August) plan on doing 3 to 4 before the snow flys, again, in the novice classes.

I bought a set of 1995 M179 Cobra R wheels for track only and want to know what would be a good tire to use for track only this year at a novice level? I have been running some Kumho Ecstas with 275's in the back and 255's up front but want to go with a square setup on the new wheels and stick with the 255's as this is what was used on these wheels from Ford on the Cobra R and most seem to think the square setup is the way to go.

I have read here that it is good for novice drivers to run a street type tire for a bit, to get the feel of corners, breaking, ect.. Should I go with something like the Kumho Ecsta 720 or something more? Not really sure what would work best and thought I would ask.

My setup is a 88 Mustang Coupe with a 347 and manual tranny. I primarily race at Black Hawk Farms which is considered a hard track on brakes so I suspect something with a bit more grip is going to be beneficial. But not sure, that is why I ask. Also, I have read old threads on this but with the newer tires out in the summer only classes, I thought I would ask for the latest information.

Thanks to all who reply.

Ed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2017, 07:17 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
I've talked to quite a few drivers that are running the Bridgestone RE-71R. It is rated as a 200 UTQG so it is still considered a street tire but I have observed it is much stickier than its rating. This will be the next tire that I switch to from the NT05's that I am running now. A few drivers said it is on pair with the R7 but I am not sure I believe that.

When I first built my car Maximum Motorsports gave me the recommendation to avoid a staggered setup on these cars to help avoid the fight of front vs rear grip. I am currently running 275's on all corners but the Nitto's are slightly narrower than other 275's on the market. Bridgestone only makes a 255 for a 17 inch rim so the choice is easy to go with 255's.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Cool, thanks. I read a comparison between those and the Ecsta 720 and they both did well in the grip department with the Kumhos being louder.

How did you get 275's all around on a Fox? My current setup rubs up front with max wheel input and they are only 255's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2017, 09:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
There are plenty of discussions here about making 275s fit all around on a Fox. I ran 275/40-17 R-compounds on 17x9" Cobra Rs years ago, back before I did the Maier Racing flared fenders and quarters. You'll have to do some work to the front fenders, but it's definitely do-able.

As to what tires to run, I would say it's worthwhile to stay on street tires for a bit longer. RE-71Rs, Hankook RS3s, Nitto NT05s, whatever. IMO I'd be more worried about bang-for-the-buck - which tire can stand up to the abuse and last for a while - as opposed to worrying about which will provide the best lap times. Tire Rack has the Falken Azenis 615Ks on close-out now in 255/40-17, only $106/ea.

I didn't realize there were so few options in 275/40-17 street tires these days. Tire Rack only has 6 max or extreme performance summers in 275! That's crazy.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
Old 07-09-2017, 06:48 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I just bought a set of Continental Extreme Contact Sports in a 275/40-17 so I'll report back my feelings after having used the NT05s for years. I am looking for something that will last longer and the Conti has 3-4/32 more tread.We will see. Good reviews in Grassroots Motorsports Magazine.

2003 mach1 with MM R&T box with TA, 2000 R brakes and lots of other bits and pieces here and there.
2012 MT Brembo GT
HPDE Instructor
Old 07-09-2017, 08:52 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Ed,

I'm running '03-'04 Cobra Spindles, MM non offset control arms with a MM K member (forward about 3/4"), '04 Cobra rack with limiters (IIRC I have two on each side), OEM '03-'04 Cobra 5 star wheels and I trimmed the bumper extensions. If I recall correctly I am also running between -2.5 and -3 degrees of camber.

I hit the bumper extensions originally with both my 275's and my 26 inch front drag skinnys but some quick trimming with a cut off wheel alleviated that issue. Full lock is my only issue now and I lightly rub the plastic wheel well liner/ lower portion of the subframe. I'm sure I could probably put one more rack limiter clip per side but it has not caused me enough of a concern to worry about it.

The Nitto's are traditionally narrower in section width than other manufactures (10.79") 275's. It appears the Falken are also 10.8" so I am sure that would be an option too. Looking at tires like the Toyo (11"), BFG (10.9") and even the Continental (10.9") may cause more fitment issue.

The Blurr please report back on how the Conti's fit and work. From an on paper stand point they seem like they would be a harder tire (less grip?) than the NT05.
ERStettin likes this.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:04 PM

There several new compounds available now for 200 TW that the AutoX communities have determined to be closer to the performance of the RE71R--with longer life in many cases (the main disadvantage of RE71Rs).

The:
Falken RT615K now has RT615K+
Nexen SUR4 now the SUR4G
Hankook RS3 now has the RS4
BFG Rival S now is the Rival S 1.5

All very new compounds that aim to compete with the Bridgestones. Three of which are at a better price point in the 255/40-17 size. The Falken RT615K+ the lowest $ at $135/tire looking like a hot deal.

-Mitch
68 Firebird, 428 Pontiac, CNC'd KRE Al d-ports, hyd roller, Mass-Flo EFI with EEC IV, 100mm MAF, 42#, TKO600 5-speed, TCI Eng subframe and Torque arm rear susp, Ridetech coil overs, Kore3 C6 Z06 brake kit, C6 dual mode mufflers
Roebling Road Raceway, NASA HPDE https://youtu.be/DPp1l9-FuNE
Old 07-10-2017, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Nice, have read up on the Hankook and Falken while reading about these. Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires | Michelin USA

They look pretty legit as well. I am interested in the dry grip with tires like these as I am not going to race in the rain and keep my windows down. Just not into it that heavily. Just out for fun and stress relief.

I noticed they don't make them in 255 so I will probably opt for the Bridgestones.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERStettin View Post
Nice, have read up on the Hankook and Falken while reading about these. Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires | Michelin USA

They look pretty legit as well. I am interested in the dry grip with tires like these as I am not going to race in the rain and keep my windows down. Just not into it that heavily. Just out for fun and stress relief.

I noticed they don't make them in 255 so I will probably opt for the Bridgestones.
The Conti was the winner over the Michelin in the Grassroots Motorsports comparison.
ERStettin likes this.

2003 mach1 with MM R&T box with TA, 2000 R brakes and lots of other bits and pieces here and there.
2012 MT Brembo GT
HPDE Instructor
Old 07-10-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERStettin View Post

I would not be afraid to mount 245/xx tires on 9" wide rims.

The PSS is one of the better 'wet' tires, a "go-to" street tire for tracking in the rain.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=g6brVFxPSPw

Norm

Mine: '08 GT, 5MT, black/light graphite, un-Fstock (DD, occasional track day)
Wife's: '10 Legacy 2.5GT (DD, six-speed manual)
Spare:'01 20AE Maxima, 5MT (also my bad weather alternate)
Various Loose Parts: '79 Malibu
Old 07-10-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks fellas, I will look into all these.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:49 PM

Curios if you what you pulled the trigger on. i am seriously contemplation the BF Goodrich G-Force Rival S. They are on sale now at Tire Rack for $187. For the same price I am also considering the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R. From all the reviews I have seen, it is areal coin toss between the two. For about $20 more a tire I am considering the Nitto NT01 (these are 100 rated but still DOT approved). I will be running 17x9 all the way around with 255/40.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

I got extended and am still overseas but will be back on Thursday and start deciding then.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:05 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGT1 View Post
Curios if you what you pulled the trigger on. i am seriously contemplation the BF Goodrich G-Force Rival S. They are on sale now at Tire Rack for $187. For the same price I am also considering the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R. From all the reviews I have seen, it is areal coin toss between the two. For about $20 more a tire I am considering the Nitto NT01 (these are 100 rated but still DOT approved). I will be running 17x9 all the way around with 255/40.
Fwiw I haven't used conti but I switched from rear Nitto nt555 extreme drag 275/40/17 to Nitto nto1 255/40/17 rear. I have 8.5 width so the 275 looked to fat. The smaller nto1 hooks MUCH better in straight line than the larger drag radial and I absolutely loved them on the road course. I had some oversteer at first but with help from other another racer I lowered the pressure 2psi in the rears and the oversteer was all but gone. I love the nto1. They look damn cool too. My braking was dramatically better also. Running smaller 235 on the front because I was afraid of rubbing but plans are to run 255 up front also(need to tweak the fenders some) paid $800 for the set installed at discount.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
On my '16 Gt, went with the MPSS after the Pirelli P-Zeros. Huge difference. Lower noise, better wear, and better dry and wet grip, Top rated of the UHP tires in most comparisons. I've read that the MPS4 is even better - and still a 300 TW tire. My last PDX indicated that these tires have a lot to offer. Yet to A/X on them.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

I bought the new Continental Extreme Contact Sports. Will be able to run them at the track in a couple weeks and see how they work.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I used to work at an aftermarket wheel store that specialized in tire/wheel packages for German sports cars. Many customers asked for the continental extreme contact specifically. I believe you will be happy with them. ...... What about the Sumitomo HTR Z III in 255/40/17. It's only 90$ on tire rack! Pick some of those up and practice drifting,lol.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

I still have a lot of tread left on my Kumho Excsta XE's so I could use those for that, they grip pretty good though. Looking forward to seeing if there really is a difference with this square setup. I have the Kumho 275's in back and 255's up front and will be going to the 255's all around now with the Contis. Should be interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement