Front Strut Selection - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-20-2017, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (10)
Front Strut Selection

Asking again before I buy in regards to shocks and struts for my maximum motorsports coilover kit:

Purpose of the car would be drive long distance with occasional track events like 5 tops a year. Looking for performance oriented handling that isnt harsh if I wanted to daily drive it for like a week to a month. The car is a 90 coupe with torque arm system from maximum motorsports with torque arm springs. Coilover spring choice is 325lbs and the struts I want are either the blisten hd or maximum motorsports sport shock with either urethane or spherical bushings, Which strut and
Why ? Is what I'm asking.

Addendum: I will convert the rear to a coilover system if I'm unsatisfied with the torque arm springs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-21-2017, 07:50 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I believe that MM had the sport shocks built because the HD aren't quite enough for that high of a spring rate. They designed everything else that you have so why don't you listen to them on this.

2003 mach1 with MM R&T box with TA, 2000 R brakes and lots of other bits and pieces here and there.
2012 MT Brembo GT
HPDE Instructor
post #3 of 10 Old 06-21-2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blurr View Post
I believe that MM had the sport shocks built because the HD aren't quite enough for that high of a spring rate. They designed everything else that you have so why don't you listen to them on this.
I see your point, the 325 spring rate was the limit for the HDs and beginning for the sport series. I suppose sport is looking like a better choice. I read all the articles on their website but I still want more opinions before purchasing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-21-2017, 01:11 PM

Better to be over damped than under damped. The sport will probably handle better AND ride better because it's not working itself to death trying to control the spring.

2003 mach1 with MM R&T box with TA, 2000 R brakes and lots of other bits and pieces here and there.
2012 MT Brembo GT
HPDE Instructor
post #5 of 10 Old 06-21-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blurr View Post
Better to be over damped than under damped. The sport will probably handle better AND ride better because it's not working itself to death trying to control the spring.
I just re-read their strut selection faq and I may have missed that. It's looking like the sports series will be my choice.

Hail the mighty Infantry.
1990 Ford Mustang 5.0 manual ( all options)
post #6 of 10 Old 06-21-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

NOW

Spherical Bearing or Urethane Bushing??

post #7 of 10 Old 06-22-2017, 07:39 AM

For your use I would go poly, quieter.

2012 MT Brembo GT
HPDE Instructor
post #8 of 10 Old 06-24-2017, 10:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Garage
I have 300# on Bilstien HD's. Softer T/A springs with a PM3L at the rear.
I had this with the stock K member and control arms for a couple seasons. It was a big improvement over the old set-up. (Eibach Pro-kits and KYB shocks.)
This year I put in an MM K and control arms. Poly bushings work great. WHAT a difference!! Ride harshness is WAY down.

I plan to hit an open track later this year. It the 300's can cut it at all, I'm leaving them.

'88 LX hatch. Mild 331. Full MM suspension minus the Torque Arm, Cobra Brakes. Not as slow as it used to be.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-29-2017, 12:28 PM

Trader Feedback: (24)
I have the bilstein sports on my car now with the H&R Race Springs. Great ride and handling. It would absolutely not bother me a bit to daily this car. Just had it at the track over the weekend too. Go with the sports and never look back!!!

91 Road Racing Fox. N/A 383W. Full MM setup front and rear with Bilstein coil-overs. 14x1.25 Wilwood 6 piston fronts with Wilwood 13x1 single piston rears.
486rwhp/ 430rwtq
post #10 of 10 Old 06-29-2017, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1HAHA View Post
I have the bilstein sports on my car now with the H&R Race Springs. Great ride and handling. It would absolutely not bother me a bit to daily this car. Just had it at the track over the weekend too. Go with the sports and never look back!!!
Ok sweet, went with the MM sport series with the 320lb springs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement