Variation in front tire clearance - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Oldbutnew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-09-2017, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
Garage
Variation in front tire clearance

So over the winter, I installed a MM K-member and lower control arms. I used the "zero" offset arms, which push the wheels forward by 3/4". Already had coil-overs and CC plates.
So I've got the alignment and bump steer done to specs. The right front clears the lower spat (LX) by about 3/16" at the closest point. The LEFT front hits hard enough to deflect the spat visibly. Yes, I followed the process to square the K-member to the car.

How common is this? I know the majority of these old Foxes are not exactly "straight and square", but... that much?? Could it all be in fender location and alignment?

'88 LX hatch. Mild 331. Full MM suspension minus the Torque Arm, Cobra Brakes. Not as slow as it used to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-12-2017, 09:51 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I installed the MM k-member and forward offset A-arms this past winter. My right from tire is around and inch closer to the front of the wheel well than the left front tire. How, I have no clue. I checked and re-checked my measurements a dozen times. It aligned perfectly afterwards. It drives just as good (better) than it ever did. I don't have any issues with rubbing though. When I first put in the K-member and saw it, I thought I'd have to put the car on a frame puller or something. Seems to be inconsequential though.

2003 GT | Modified for Open Track
post #3 of 6 Old 06-13-2017, 08:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
These cars are ####. The tolerances when built were huge and then add that most of these cars are 20 years old. Nothing will be perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-14-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Sounds like as long as the car drives right, which mine does, it's no big deal...

'88 LX hatch. Mild 331. Full MM suspension minus the Torque Arm, Cobra Brakes. Not as slow as it used to be.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-16-2017, 12:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
I plan to install my MM K-member and "zero" offset arms within a few weeks. I'm hoping I don't have to massage my fenders too much either. I'll report back if mine appears uneven.

1989 Mustang GT
post #6 of 6 Old 06-16-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomV View Post
I plan to install my MM K-member and "zero" offset arms within a few weeks. I'm hoping I don't have to massage my fenders too much either. I'll report back if mine appears uneven.
Follow their instructions E X A C T L Y. I have a hoist, so I did some of the alignment work for the K, front end alignment, and bump steer while the hoist was sitting on cribbing. I used a laser to level everything. Should be good, right? NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Had to put the car on jackstands and go through everything again. It's great now. But I learned that MM knows their sh*t even better than it appears they do.
TomV likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement