Ford Mustang Forums banner

foxbody SLA, crown vic swap?

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  PolishSasquatch 
#1 ·
So the 03+ crown vic IFS is a very nice setup, cheap, and alot of guys swap them into hot rods, pickups what not.
I am doing a cobra IRS into the rear of my fox, the CV has the same track width as the cobra IRS.
Has anyone done the CV IFS into a foxbody or similar mustang? What is keeping people from doing this. Have yet to see this swap..

#2 ·
I actually had the same thought recently. Not that I have any of the fabrication skills that would be needed to transfer a suspension from one car to a completely different car, but I've seen the CV front ends used a number of times by guys doing LS swaps on older vehicles.

#3 ·
Not going to work IMO. Not with out massive offset wheels. Track width may be close, but the wheel mount to wheel mount measurement on that IFS unit is just a hair over 67 5/8". That's almost 4" wider than it's spec track width. The CV wheels have around 50mm of offset.

The Cobra front wheel mount to wheel mount measurement is like 59.9"

#4 ·
I will be running 90mm overfenders, 18x11+16 wheels, so wider track width is good for me!
i believe the 03+ CV WMS to WMS is 63.5 "

I will be running an 03-04 cobra IRS as well.
04 cobra IRS WMS to WMS is 62.5-63.5 depending who you ask and how they measure.

Basically they are right on the money, and worst case I run a little spacer in the rear to be square all around.

So track width is not an issue. Otherwise should be fairly good to go?
Fabrication wont be a problem. Just wondering if there are any critical physical issues,

#5 ·
i believe the 03+ CV WMS to WMS is 63.5 "

Just wondering if there are any critical physical issues
Sorry, but nope.

According to research I did recently the '03-up CV spec track width is 1610mm (63.386") with the 16" wheels and the standard 16x7 wheels on those cars are +54mm. So 1610mm + 54mm + 54mm = 1718mm which is 67.638" WMS-to-WMS. If you search the many posts on the Ford truck sites (where this is a common swap) you will find this to be accurate.

Track width is not WMS-to-WMS. It is center of wheel/tire to center of wheel/tire regardless of offset.

But it is a nice setup for the right vehicle.

EDIT: Using the same track width source for a '91 Mustang and accounting for the 16x7 pony wheels offset (+22.5mm) the Fox WMS-to-WMS is 59.685". That's nearly 8 inches different! And that's as critical as it gets.

#7 ·
thanks guys. At least saves me some time and disappointment.
I mean, i COULD run a 13" 0 offset wheel in the rear but thats $$$. or 2" spacer with the 11s.

Realistically, I will go the tried and proven way with 96+ spindles, cobra rack, MM K member etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.