Stiffler's lower chassis bracing - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-17-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
Stiffler's lower K-member bracing

So, do these braces make a noticeable improvement in stiffening up the chassis? Perhaps not this brand in particular, but any sort of lower -member bracing?

http://www.buystifflers.com/lowercha...mustang-1.aspx

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-17-2017, 01:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (24)
phrasing!

post #3 of 7 Old 03-17-2017, 03:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (38)
I don't think it would be anything you'd notice. If you paired that with a steeda g brace it would help load the suspension and not the chassis in hard corning but to get the full potential I would assume you'd have to have eibach swaybar and strut tower brace to tie it all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue93hatch View Post
I spec'd my whole build to fit a cold air intake I had
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-18-2017, 11:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 View Post
So, do these braces make a noticeable improvement in stiffening up the chassis? Perhaps not this brand in particular, but any sort of lower -member bracing?

Lower Chassis Brace 79-93 fox body Mustang K-member brace
Yes, those lower cross-member braces that go across the back of the K-member are effective. MM includes a 2-point style even with their beefy K-member, so that's an indication that that style of brace is doing sumthin'. The Stiffler's design has a couple things that make me go , but I imagine it would still work just fine. Way back in the day (~20 years ago) when I still had a stock K-member I had a Kenny Brown 4-point brace; it made a noticeable difference on my flexy convertible, even on relatively soft suspension and street tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashjackson View Post
I guess if no one is going to call me out because we're not doing phrasing anymore I will be serious for a moment.
"Hold on, come back to me, I had something for this..."

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #5 of 7 Old 03-19-2017, 02:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Not only do we include a brace on all of our k-members, but when Ford came out with the S197 chassis, they saw the very high ratio of stiffness to weight in this design and used it also.

It won't be as effective on a Fox/SN95 chassis with a stock k-member as it can't be made straight. The additional tubes in the brace are to keep the main tube from buckling.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #6 of 7 Old 03-20-2017, 09:00 AM

Trader Feedback: (34)
I second Patrick's experience. I too used a KB "g-load" brace together with their STB on my 86 vert. The combination not only helped the flexing under turning and stopping load (the front sub-frame wants to bend up at the cowl), these pieces nearly eliminated cowl shake and door sag the older verts are known for. I think a t-top car would also benefit. The debate I believe is whether these devices do anything for the standard coupe or hatch. I think they do to some extent, especially given the enormous benefit to the vert.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-20-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
Thanks everyone

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement