Inner tie rods Problem - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Inner tie rods Problem

Hello every one .

First off , will caster affect Toe ? I think that camber will for sure .

Here's the issue : I was running +5° of caster , 1° negative camber and 0 Toe , with stock inner tie rods , MM bumpsteer kit , MM c/c plates , stock rack and stock control arms with steeda X2 ball joints . The car has H&R springs with Bilsteins HD . Then I maxed out caster (had a good amount of space on MM c/c plates ) , added negative camber (1.3°) and when I was adjusting toe in (1/16 each wheel) , the jam nut almost ran out of threads in the inner tie rod .

Another problem :

Since the stock tie rods was shot (I'm the original onwer) , I bought some generics ones labeled with application for 86-95 Taurus and 94-04 mustangs . Then , I could not adjust toe in because the jam nut ran out of threads . The maximum I could adjust was 1/8 toe out each wheel . The inner tie rods that I got is longer than stock ones . I ordered another pair and they are longer too . Another thing that is different , is that the arm in the ball is offsetted in the stock one , and the generics are straight ( see pics below) . One of the generics has short threads compared with other , but both are longer than stock . I tried trim one of them in the bottom and yet couldn't adjust toe in .

So I'm thinking on take these inner tie rods to a machine shop and put more theads and cut some length of them . what do you guys think ?

And what are the correct inner tie rods for these cars ? Brands and part numbers? Rockauto has a long list , but they are also specified for 86-96 taurus ...

Thanks in advance .

GT40X heads,RPM2 intake,Crane 2031,1.7 rr,BBK 70 tb,BBK equal shorty headers ,catted 2.5" H pipe,2.5"catback,42lbs inj.,bilstein struts,H&R Race springs,MM C/C plates,MM bumpsteer kit,steeda X2 balljoints,hurst shifter,Cobra brakes,Baer 13" rear brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2017, 10:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Yes changing caster will change the toe.The tie rod on the left in the top pic and the tie rod on top in the bottom pic are bent and are not suppose to be like that. The car has been wrecked or hit something with the wheel/suspension at some time.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:34 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Link showing what the OEM Ford part number is. I checked 1994 and 2004 and this part number is the same.

http://www.oemfordpart.com/ford/must...=inner-tie-rod

Edit - there is no need to machine anything on your setup. Stock parts should work just fine. Are you running out of threads for the toe adjustment on one side only? Might want to double check that your steering rack is centered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2017, 12:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
What is the application here? Is this a 1994 Mustang?

I recently went through this installing a Terminator rack in my Fox. I had to change out the inner tire rods to the fox style as they are slightly shorter than SN95. Here are the 94-04 SN95 inners I removed from my rack

Do these resemble the parts store inners you've been receiving?

The bend in the one you had before is damage from some sort of impact. It should be straight like the new one.

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
Old 01-23-2017, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw98lx View Post
Link showing what the OEM Ford part number is. I checked 1994 and 2004 and this part number is the same.

F6SZ-3280-BA#Inner Tie Rod for 2004 Ford Mustang : Ford Parts - Genuine OEM Ford Parts Online Catalog

Edit - there is no need to machine anything on your setup. Stock parts should work just fine. Are you running out of threads for the toe adjustment on one side only? Might want to double check that your steering rack is centered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 View Post
What is the application here? Is this a 1994 Mustang?

I recently went through this installing a Terminator rack in my Fox. I had to change out the inner tire rods to the fox style as they are slightly shorter than SN95. Here are the 94-04 SN95 inners I removed from my rack.

Do these resemble the parts store inners you've been receiving?

The bend in the one you had before is damage from some sort of impact. It should be straight like the new one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cu racing View Post
Yes changing caster will change the toe.The tie rod on the left in the top pic and the tie rod on top in the bottom pic are bent and are not suppose to be like that. The car has been wrecked or hit something with the wheel/suspension at some time.
Thank you guys. Yes the car is a 95 GT and never was wrecked (I'm the original owner. Bought the car new), but in the long run of these years probably hit some pothole or something that I don't remember. I cleaned the other original inner tie rod and realized that it's bent like the another stock one. That's strange beacause I never saw inners bent like those ... And that can explain why i've been having memory steer with the car , even changing the X2 ball joints for new ones in recently past .

Well , with the new ones I can't set toe in (1/16" each wheel) on both sides without running out of threads. So I went to the hardware store and pickup two narrows M14x1.5 nuts , and I'm using them like jam nuts in the inner tie rods . In that way I was able to adjust toe in with max. caster in the Maximum Motorsports C/C plates . But the new jam nuts sit on the final of the threads .

GT40X heads,RPM2 intake,Crane 2031,1.7 rr,BBK 70 tb,BBK equal shorty headers ,catted 2.5" H pipe,2.5"catback,42lbs inj.,bilstein struts,H&R Race springs,MM C/C plates,MM bumpsteer kit,steeda X2 balljoints,hurst shifter,Cobra brakes,Baer 13" rear brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement