1Likes
  • 1 Post By Toys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-06-2016, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Indo-Canuck-Yankee

Trader Feedback: (4)
Garage
Best rear axle upgrade

My ride seems to enjoy crushing 8.8 carrier bearings under hard acceleration. The car originally had a stock 28-spline 8.8 housing and cover with 3.55 rear gears. The 1st time it occurred, I was climbing a mountain at close to full throttle - rear end started whining under all conditions. I installed a TA Performance girdle cover after replacing the bearings and not long after, I crushed another set of carrier bearings, indicated by the same whining. I eventually had a shop perform some work on my stock housing - straightened and welded the tubes, gusseted a few spots, upgraded to Superior Gear 31-spline axles, dropped down to 3.31 rear gears, and a Detroit Truetrac diff. Still running the TA Performance girdle cover. Is there anything else I can do to beef it up?

'89 5.0L LX hatch: all 90mm 2.2L Blowzilla Dart Iron Eagle 306 @ 8.4:1, ported Vic Jr heads, TMoss ported GT40 lower, Deka 80# injectors, EDIS8, GUFB-A9L2-Moates tuned, Tremec 3550, 3.31 gears w/31-spline TruTrac
'66 GT 2+2 Fastback: carb'd 289, Canfield heads - EFI transformation pending

'71 Mach 1: totaled - R.I.P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-30-2017, 02:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (39)
Not judging or questioning, but have you dug into how the carrier bearing preload is being set? Could possibly be a setup issue.

Frank

Fast Frank Motorsports LLC
High performance solutions
http://fastfrankmotorsports.com
https://www.facebook.com/fastfrankmotorsports
post #3 of 12 Old 01-30-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Indo-Canuck-Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_frank_d View Post
Not judging or questioning, but have you dug into how the carrier bearing preload is being set? Could possibly be a setup issue.

Frank
Both events that were diagnosed with crushed bearings were in axles that were professionally built. Since going to a welded housing and 31-spline axles, the issue seems to have gone away. I think the housing was distorting under load prior to the welding and may have actually have been caused by misalignment of the tubes.

'89 5.0L LX hatch: all 90mm 2.2L Blowzilla Dart Iron Eagle 306 @ 8.4:1, ported Vic Jr heads, TMoss ported GT40 lower, Deka 80# injectors, EDIS8, GUFB-A9L2-Moates tuned, Tremec 3550, 3.31 gears w/31-spline TruTrac
'66 GT 2+2 Fastback: carb'd 289, Canfield heads - EFI transformation pending

'71 Mach 1: totaled - R.I.P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-10-2017, 07:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
What about C-clips?

I've heard 9" bearing ends don't like side loading either. So, whats the best axle retention method that would still allow use of factory cobra brakes. (on a budget after all right?)
post #5 of 12 Old 03-10-2017, 11:29 PM

A floater rear would be the best set up but I don't know about using Cobra rear brakes... I seem to recall someone was making a floater kit for the 8.8 maybe Strange or Moser...

NMCA/Pro M/S 10011
post #6 of 12 Old 03-12-2017, 03:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
It isn't possible to use factory Mustang Cobra brakes with a floater. 9" axles aren't great for resisting side loads, but they are a huge improvement over the small bearings in an 8.8".

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #7 of 12 Old 03-15-2017, 10:31 PM

I question the bearings, what brand are they? Hard to believe it happened twice, something not right with components rather then set up.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-18-2017, 05:24 PM

Floater I finished last year, not that it would have much if any impact on carrier bearings but does fix the axle bearing and flange flex issues.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2333.JPG (139.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 123.jpg (116.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 145.jpg (92.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Snouts welded2.jpg (95.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 147.jpg (106.8 KB, 114 views)
macuser27 likes this.

Toys - gota have'm.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike Schneider

1982 Mustang GT - 408w and other super zoomy stuff...
Tracks driven: Mid-Ohio, Grattan, Putnam Park, Gingerman, Autobahn Country Club, Waterford Hills, Ford Proving Grounds, and Bondurant.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-18-2017, 05:43 PM

Michael,

Did you check for interference between the gear cover fins and spare tire well at full bump travel? On the cars we've installed that cover on, we had to mill a lot off of the fins and hammer the spare tire well.

Jack Hidley
post #10 of 12 Old 03-18-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
Michael,

Did you check for interference between the gear cover fins and spare tire well at full bump travel? On the cars we've installed that cover on, we had to mill a lot off of the fins and hammer the spare tire well.
Absolutely.

Toys - gota have'm.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike Schneider

Tracks driven: Mid-Ohio, Grattan, Putnam Park, Gingerman, Autobahn Country Club, Waterford Hills, Ford Proving Grounds, and Bondurant.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-19-2017, 12:54 PM

Jack - did you guys ever take any temp data on those covers vs a standard cover? And then after removing much of the fin depth on the drivers side to clear the tub?

Toys - gota have'm.....

Mike Schneider

post #12 of 12 Old 03-19-2017, 02:38 PM

Michael,

No we haven't had a chance to. The problem is that it requires switching gear covers at the track on consecutive days which have very similar weather. No one wants to do that at the track.

Jack Hidley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement