Road racing Coyote / oil recommendation - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ross2004
  • 1 Post By ross2004

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-30-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Road racing Coyote / oil recommendation

Hello,

Any one doing doad racing with a coyote engine? I'm builg a 89 gt wit ha a gen II engine. I'm havinga a hard time finding out what oil should I use.
I did ask a Ford Performance parts rep as I thought they would be the expert. The answer was somewhat surprising. He recommended the use of the factory 5w20. For the gen II specificly. Gen I used 5w50 which to me sounds more like it but the gen II is supposed to have different vct and pcm calibration hense the thinner lube. Ive used a lot thicker oils before, running four bangers but then again they were as far from stock as possible.
Any thoughts, opinions, experience on this matter? Any discussion will help

-Markus.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-01-2016, 09:30 AM

It's going to depend how hard you drive the car and what temps your oil is reaching, also whether or not you run a good oil cooler.
Typically you'll want to run a 10w40 or 5w50 if you're running hard. If you're a little more mellow and mostly street drive you can do 0w40 or 5w30. I wouldn't run 5w20 on the road course ever.

post #3 of 8 Old 12-01-2016, 05:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Match the factory viscosity at 210* with whatever weight oil you need to match the same viscosity at the temps you see on track. Oil temps over 240* I'd be adding an oil cooler.

noldevin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-03-2016, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Find it odd that the rep recommended 5w20 for road racing. It will be driven hard. Raced. Flat out. I was hoping to cope with the oe oil cooler the '16 engine comes with plus the Moroso 10 quart oil pan. But now... I do not know. However an oil temp sensor is a must!
I wonder id the gen 2 two variable cam timing really actually needs the 5w20 to work like the rep stated. I hate having doubts on oiling.

All my other engines I've used Castrol 10w60 TWS with no problems what so ever. But then again, they were tiny dispalcement and tuned to the max. This Coyote is stock.
I'm sure theres someone out there with actual real world experience on the matter.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-03-2016, 10:05 AM

Maybe the rep has to "toe the party line" concerning mpg mandates by not officially OK'ing anything less fuel efficient?

An engineer once close to modular-motor development wouldn't ever run lighter than 5W30.

Norm

Mine: '08 GT, 5MT, black/light graphite, un-Fstock (DD, occasional track day)
Wife's: '10 Legacy 2.5GT (DD, six-speed manual)
Spare:'01 20AE Maxima, 5MT (also my bad weather alternate)
Various Loose Parts: '79 Malibu
post #6 of 8 Old 12-03-2016, 10:47 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
post #7 of 8 Old 12-03-2016, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Maybe the rep has to "toe the party line" concerning mpg mandates by not officially OK'ing anything less fuel efficient?

An engineer once close to modular-motor development wouldn't ever run lighter than 5W30.

Norm
I was a bit irratating by arguing and he did say he has to recommend the factory aproved oil only. He said the racers propably try out different kind of oils and compare the benefits / outcomes. Funny that the factory ok'd 5w50 with the '11-'14 track packs but the 2015 onward engines use 5w20 even on the performance packs...
Well if it works it works but I have my doubts.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-05-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsport View Post
I was a bit irratating by arguing and he did say he has to recommend the factory aproved oil only. He said the racers propably try out different kind of oils and compare the benefits / outcomes. Funny that the factory ok'd 5w50 with the '11-'14 track packs but the 2015 onward engines use 5w20 even on the performance packs...
Well if it works it works but I have my doubts.
They use 5w20 on the performance packs because they stopped calling them track packs (which is probably because they realized most people weren't buying them to track them).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement