Any of you ever had the strut bolt slip losing camber? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jw98lx
  • 1 Post By fast_frank_d

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-28-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (24)
Any of you ever had the strut bolt slip losing camber?

So, I got back from Putnam Park a month ago. Cars sitting in the garage and I noticed that the camber on the left wheel looked off compared to the right wheel. After examining the caster camber plates nothing had moved there at all.

I jack up the car and take the wheel off. A close inspection of the MM Bilstein strut ears and I can see its marked where the bottom bolt has slipped in the slotted portion of the strut ear.

Naturally I losen the bolts, pull the spindle out as far as it will go and re-tighten to 166 ft/lbs. Sure enough it now matches the right side with both having -3° camber.

Now I go through and re-torque everything to spec at the beginning of every season. This season being no different. I set both sides to 166 ft/lbs.

I went over to the right side and retorqued it but none of the nuts moved. Now Putnam Park is extremely punishing on left front tires but I have never experienced the strut bolt sliding in the slotted part of the ear on my Bilsteins.

Anyone else ever experienced this? These are stock bolts not camber bolts or anything of that nature. I do run sticky DOT road race tires but that shouldn't make a difference.

91 Road Racing Fox. N/A 383W. Full MM setup front and rear with Bilstein coil-overs. 14x1.25 Wilwood 6 piston fronts with Wilwood 13x1 single piston rears.
486rwhp/ 430rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-29-2016, 07:56 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Hitting a bad bump in the middle of a hard corner might still manage to shake things loose. I had the same concern with the revised camber settings I used on a Mazda 626.

I used four washers close-fitted to the strut bolts with little tabs welded to one face at the ID. One washer per side goes between the bolt head and one strut 'ear', another between the other strut 'ear' and the nut. The function of the tabs is to fill up the spaces in the oversize strut ear holes on the +camber side and prevent any simple sliding. Since I no longer own that car, I'm guessing I used fender washers with the holes redrilled to suit the bolt diameter with as little clearance as possible.

It's much harder for vibrations to get both washers on each of your adjustable bolts to rotate in sync even in round holes, which is what a camber slippage would require. But grinding a flat on each washer or coming up with some other method to visually verify that slippage has not occurred might still be worth considering even for slotted holes.

Norm

Mine: '08 GT, 5MT, black/light graphite, un-Fstock (DD, occasional track day)
Wife's: '10 Legacy 2.5GT (DD, six-speed manual)
Spare:'01 20AE Maxima, 5MT (also my bad weather alternate)
Various Loose Parts: '79 Malibu
post #3 of 7 Old 11-29-2016, 09:02 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Yes, it happened to me a long time ago. I now look for witness marks every time I have the wheels off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-29-2016, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (24)
I'm hoping this does not become a usual event. If it does, I might have to make something similar to what Norm has made.

MFE, does this happen often to you? I've only been racing this setup for 2 years (with the slotted Bilstein strut ears) and this is the first time it has happened. I'm hoping this isn't going to be a problem in the future.

91 Road Racing Fox. N/A 383W. Full MM setup front and rear with Bilstein coil-overs. 14x1.25 Wilwood 6 piston fronts with Wilwood 13x1 single piston rears.
486rwhp/ 430rwtq
post #5 of 7 Old 11-30-2016, 10:01 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
I don't think it's happened since I've been running Koni's, which is a long time.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-01-2016, 09:52 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I had this happen with a new set of bilstiens. I ended up sanding the paint off of the mounting ears where the nut/washer reside and that seemed to take care of the problem. It seems the paint created a slip-plane of sorts and allowed the movement.
LT1HAHA likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-30-2017, 02:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (39)
Yes, this absolutely can happen. I've even seen strut bolts lose enough torque that the strut can be pivoted by hand. I would make it part of your regular post-event inspection.

Frank
LT1HAHA likes this.

Fast Frank Motorsports LLC
High performance solutions
http://fastfrankmotorsports.com
https://www.facebook.com/fastfrankmotorsports
Sponsored Links
Advertisement