A question about cutting Mach 1 springs and use on 94-95 GT - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-07-2016, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
A question about cutting Mach 1 springs and use on 94-95 GT

Hey guys. I'm finally going to be swapping my springs next week.

I good friend of mine had changed the springs on his 03 Mach when the car was virtually new. I have the springs and front isos waiting to go in.

From all the research and pics I've been looking at, 1 coil cut looks like it'll do the job running ISOS.

Only thing is, Mach engines are heavier than my 302. Would that 1 coil cut be enough to give me a decent drop on my 1995 GT? Or go a little more?

I have sportlines right now and a little dissapointed with the amount the car is lowered. Running stock isos all around. I definitely want it lower than this.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160730_102909.jpg (96.1 KB, 27 views)

1995 GT

1992 5.0 Calypso coupe, black interior. Deceased
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-08-2016, 07:46 AM

My guess is that cutting one coil will put you in Sportline territory.

2003 mach1 with MM R&T box with TA, 2000 R brakes and lots of other bits and pieces here and there.
2012 MT Brembo GT
HPDE Instructor
post #3 of 6 Old 10-17-2016, 09:02 AM

Since you posted this in the road racing section...
I would never use cut springs for road racing. Find a proper aftermarket spring designed for your car to give you what you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-17-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeKlass View Post
Hey guys. I'm finally going to be swapping my springs next week.

I good friend of mine had changed the springs on his 03 Mach when the car was virtually new. I have the springs and front isos waiting to go in.

From all the research and pics I've been looking at, 1 coil cut looks like it'll do the job running ISOS.

Only thing is, Mach engines are heavier than my 302. Would that 1 coil cut be enough to give me a decent drop on my 1995 GT? Or go a little more?

I have sportlines right now and a little dissapointed with the amount the car is lowered. Running stock isos all around. I definitely want it lower than this.
If you don't know what rate they are and what height they'd put you at without being cut, there's no way to tell where they'd end up after cutting any amount off.

Whether the remaining 'free' coils would be enough to safely absorb the energy of distortion caused by suspension bump travel is a whole other consideration. As is concern over whether the spring would remain under compression with the suspension extended fully in 'droop'.

The actual cutting operation itself is not an issue, assuming that for the two springs at each end of the car you can put the cuts in the same place, and that the springs themselves at least have the same free length and are still "straight" (the last two concerns are definitely not guaranteed after more than ten years use).

Norm

Mine: '08 GT, 5MT, black/light graphite, un-Fstock (DD, occasional track day)
Wife's: '10 Legacy 2.5GT (DD, six-speed manual)
Spare:'01 20AE Maxima, 5MT (also my bad weather alternate)
Various Loose Parts: '79 Malibu
post #5 of 6 Old 10-24-2016, 10:47 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Unfortunately, this is my Fox, and not SN95.

My front end with 03-04 Mach 1 springs, uncut, and with the isolators removed. Bottom coils are wrapped in electrical tape.

Ride is firm and sporty. No real noise or issue from not running the isolators. Out back, I have max motorsports adjustable arms, so won't be able to give you a height idea from a back picture.

From what I recall, the Mach 1 springs are slightly taller than the 01 bullitt springs, and both are 600 lb linear rate up front. Unsure what the rear specs are.

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
post #6 of 6 Old 11-03-2016, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
If you don't know what rate they are and what height they'd put you at without being cut, there's no way to tell where they'd end up after cutting any amount off.

Whether the remaining 'free' coils would be enough to safely absorb the energy of distortion caused by suspension bump travel is a whole other consideration. As is concern over whether the spring would remain under compression with the suspension extended fully in 'droop'.

The actual cutting operation itself is not an issue, assuming that for the two springs at each end of the car you can put the cuts in the same place, and that the springs themselves at least have the same free length and are still "straight" (the last two concerns are definitely not guaranteed after more than ten years use).

Norm
Hi Norm, they are 600# linear front and 250 rear. I ended up cutting 1 full coil in the front and 1/2 coil rear. Car sits exactly the same in the front and a little higher in the back than before but rides much better. The springs are virtually brand new. My buddy bought his Mach 1 brand new late 2003 and swapped out the springs the next summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 View Post
Unfortunately, this is my Fox, and not SN95.

My front end with 03-04 Mach 1 springs, uncut, and with the isolators removed. Bottom coils are wrapped in electrical tape.

Ride is firm and sporty. No real noise or issue from not running the isolators. Out back, I have max motorsports adjustable arms, so won't be able to give you a height idea from a back picture.

From what I recall, the Mach 1 springs are slightly taller than the 01 bullitt springs, and both are 600 lb linear rate up front. Unsure what the rear specs are.
Lol I kept seeing your car popping up while doing my research. I ended up re using the original ISOS on my car except the front bottoms because the ones from the Mach were brand new. Thanks for posting and nice car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blurr View Post
My guess is that cutting one coil will put you in Sportline territory.
That's what it was haha! Little higher in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
Since you posted this in the road racing section...
I would never use cut springs for road racing. Find a proper aftermarket spring designed for your car to give you what you want.
I posted here because there are some knowledgeable members that can offer solid advice. No road racing for me

1995 GT

1992 5.0 Calypso coupe, black interior. Deceased
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement