• 1 Post By ChristophrC
  • 1 Post By hotmustang95
  • 1 Post By ross2004
  • 1 Post By Patrick Olsen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 08-25-2016, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (12)
Raybestos ST47 brake pads

They definitely stop the car better than the pads I had on there, believe they were PBR (spelling?) but damn, they make ALOT of brake dust. I never read anything about that prior to buying them. They also howl a bit on the street until they get some heat in them. Anyone else experience this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-25-2016, 09:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERStettin View Post
They definitely stop the car better than the pads I had on there, believe they were PBR (spelling?) but damn, they make ALOT of brake dust. I never read anything about that prior to buying them. They also howl a bit on the street until they get some heat in them. Anyone else experience this?
They do tend to produce dust and they are VERY loud when they are cold... but they are an amazing pad. I use them with a four piston Wilwood caliper and a one piece Cobra rotor. I now have six weekends on mine... they show very little wear and I have found they are easy on rotors.

ERStettin likes this.

NMCA/Pro M/S 10011
post #3 of 23 Old 08-25-2016, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Yes, those are the main reasons I bought them. Just can't believe the amount of dust and noise. I am knew to the Road Racing stuff and have never had brakes like these....lol. They do stop the car in a hurry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 08-25-2016, 09:58 PM

I've been using the Hawk DTC70s for a while and it was time to get new pads. A friend of mine who runs in Nasa told me to try them out and directed me to a site that was selling them for under $90 shipped. I bought 2 sets. Glad I did too cause now they're expensive. Very happy with them. I don't use them on the streets thou. Too much dust for my streets wheels and they require good heat to start working.
ERStettin likes this.
post #5 of 23 Old 08-25-2016, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

I paid $189 for the fronts and $129 for the backs. Grand total- $357.06 (with freight) I would say they have gone up a lot.
post #6 of 23 Old 08-26-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
They're race pads, the most aggressive they make. Why would you expect anything else.
post #7 of 23 Old 08-26-2016, 09:44 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
you can't run a full-out race pad on the street and then complain about dust an noise.
ERStettin likes this.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-26-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

I don't know fellas. I am knew to this. My racing has all been drag racing and the stock brakes and pads worked fine on that for years....lol. It just surprised me is all. I just assumed it would be minimal. I am not unhappy at all. I am just surprised by the amount of dust that accumulates just driving around the block. It wipes right off so no big deal. I can't wait to get it on the track tomorrow and try them out. It is an HPDE day and my instructor will probably be as happy as I will be.
post #9 of 23 Old 08-26-2016, 10:02 AM

Just wait till you get some real heat in them...
post #10 of 23 Old 08-26-2016, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I bet. I have been getting on the brakes before the markers. I am looking forward to hearing what my instructor says tomorrow about it all now that the car can slow down so quickly. When I went out and seated the brakes, it impressed me how quickly they bite and slow the car. Going to be a bit of an adjustment on the track I think. But I am REALLY looking forward to it.

BTW, the SCCA instructors we had on the Tuesday night Track Night session said BHF is one of two of the hardest tracks on brakes so these ought to work out great if they last so long. I burnt through my PBR's in 5, 20 minute sessions.

post #11 of 23 Old 08-26-2016, 11:59 AM

Make sure you have freshly bled high-temp brake fluid. Those pads can withstand tremendous heat without fading....which means your fluid boiling is probably going to be your first point of weakness.
post #12 of 23 Old 08-26-2016, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Ok, well I have been reading on these threads and everyone seems to think the Motul 600 is the way to go with that situation so I ended up buying a case (overkill I know) and have that in there now. Thanks for that information though. I like hearing stuff like that from guys that have been there and done it. Thank you.
post #13 of 23 Old 08-26-2016, 02:07 PM

You'll want to bleed your brakes before every track event with a full flush at least annually, so you might be surprised how quickly that case goes Great fluid though, it's what I use too.
post #14 of 23 Old 08-26-2016, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Sounds good, I will do that. Thanks.
post #15 of 23 Old 08-26-2016, 09:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
For future reference, you probably really don't need the ST47s in the rear. Since the fronts do the majority of the work, you can go less aggressive with the rear pads (and thus typically save some money, as track pads tend to get more expensive as you go more aggressive). You may find the ST47s are too much pad for the rear, adversely affecting brake bias and possibly making the rears prone to locking up first.
ERStettin likes this.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #16 of 23 Old 08-26-2016, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Ok, well I hope that doesn't happen but I will find out for sure in the morning. Thanks.
post #17 of 23 Old 08-27-2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
For future reference, you probably really don't need the ST47s in the rear. Since the fronts do the majority of the work, you can go less aggressive with the rear pads (and thus typically save some money, as track pads tend to get more expensive as you go more aggressive). You may find the ST47s are too much pad for the rear, adversely affecting brake bias and possibly making the rears prone to locking up first.
exactly... I used ST43's on the rear for a couple of sessions and even they had too much bite... I ended up going with some Advance Auto ceramic pads on the rear as I didn't have anything else available at the time... It turns out the bias is very good with that combination...

NMCA/Pro M/S 10011
post #18 of 23 Old 08-27-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophrC View Post
exactly... I used ST43's on the rear for a couple of sessions and even they had too much bite... I ended up going with some Advance Auto ceramic pads on the rear as I didn't have anything else available at the time... It turns out the bias is very good with that combination...
47s on both ends here for last 5-6 years. Works great and probably helps out the front a little.
post #19 of 23 Old 09-04-2016, 09:13 AM

I'm wondering how the track day with the ST47's went . . .

As far as flushing goes, if you bleed out about half a liter before each track day event (one Motul bottle), you'll basically end up completely flushing the system about every three times out. It seems to take that much to get to where the fluid runs clear, at least with the OE 2-piston S197 front caliper setup.

Norm

Mine: '08 GT, 5MT, black/light graphite, un-Fstock (DD, occasional track day)
Wife's: '10 Legacy 2.5GT (DD, six-speed manual)
Spare:'01 20AE Maxima, 5MT (also my bad weather alternate)
Various Loose Parts: '79 Malibu
post #20 of 23 Old 09-04-2016, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Track day went great but my ST47's were not on until the Northwoods Shelby event. The videos I posted are from that event and you can hear them moaning. I have since switched back to ceramic pads in the rear and the noise is gone.

I did flush the lines completely, Norm. It is clean, clear Motul 600 all around and they work great. The brakes grab very well and for my experience level (Novice) having the 47's up front and the ceramic in the back will work fine.

I LOVE SCCA Track Nights! I will hit everyone of them I can next year. I was scheduled and paid for the 15 September track night at Blackhawk but they ended up canceling it two days ago due to the days getting shorter and not enough light. So it looks like I am done with them until next spring.
post #21 of 23 Old 09-04-2016, 10:41 AM

Thanks . . . I was going to ask about the moaning. Definitely a good call to do a full flush the first time.

Norm

Mine: '08 GT, 5MT, black/light graphite, un-Fstock (DD, occasional track day)
Wife's: '10 Legacy 2.5GT (DD, six-speed manual)
Spare:'01 20AE Maxima, 5MT (also my bad weather alternate)
Various Loose Parts: '79 Malibu
post #22 of 23 Old 09-19-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I was scheduled and paid for the 15 September track night at Blackhawk but they ended up canceling it two days ago due to the days getting shorter and not enough light. So it looks like I am done with them until next spring.
Huh??? Track Nighttttt cancelled cause not enough light???? Maybe in this age of technology someone will invent headlights for cars.
post #23 of 23 Old 09-21-2016, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Yep, here is the e-mail.

Blackhawk Track Nighters,

Iím sad to report that due to a schedule conflict, we have to cancel the 9/15 Track Night event at Blackhawk Farms. This event was to be the final event of the season at the venue. Unfortunately, with the quickly decreasing amount of evening sunlight available we will not be able to reschedule this event this year. A full refund will be issued back to your credit card. I apologize for putting a damper on your fun and hope that youíll find a way to forgive us. We look forward to seeing you all back at the track for more fun with cars in the spring!

Jack Track

Lead Factologist

Track Night in America Driven by Tire Rack

So I ended up signing up for the Thursday Night Thunder event at the Milwaukee Mile that night and broke a rocker fulcrum. Could not get a replacement in time to make the 10/10 Putnam event so I missed that as well...lol. Was not a good end to the season but did get to run 4 events this summer. I will get more next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement