Just registered for my first event. Anyone else going to be there? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By MFE
  • 1 Post By MFE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-19-2016, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (12)
Just registered for my first event. Anyone else going to be there?

Track Night 2016: Chicago - May 24 - Track Night in America

Just registered for my first event with the SCCA at Black Hawk Farms in South Beloit. I know there are others around that run in this area and was wondering if anyone else was going to be there to show this rookie the ropes?

I registered as a novice and will be doing paced laps it looks like. Not sure if they are all paced but it looks like the first ones are, which is fine, as long as I am not better than the pace car driver and pass him/her.....lol.

Ed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-20-2016, 05:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Just got my confirmation, I'll be there. Can't believe the wife gave the OK, the 24th is her birthday. I think it's going to cost me big time!

Jay

post #3 of 12 Old 05-20-2016, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Good to see. I left you a message on your machine yesterday. Did you get it? What time are you going to show up and what class are you running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-23-2016, 11:09 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Have fun, be safe. You're not going to get a lot if instruction. See if you can get positioned very close to the pace car, if not right behind him, so you can learn from his line. The further you get back from him, the more people are following the car in front of them, and it's like a ####-up game of telephone. I don't like to do lead-follows with more than 3 cars in tow for that reason alone.
ERStettin likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-26-2016, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Well I had a GREAT time and will definitely be going back. Here is a couple videos I made of the day. The first one is me chasing a Shelby Mustang and a turbo powered BMW. The second one is me getting to fast going into a corner and spinning out. It was a GREAT day.

https://youtu.be/BwT7Pfy0HAw
https://youtu.be/XfA_fhVvD8s
post #6 of 12 Old 05-26-2016, 10:32 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Did they give any in-car instruction, or cut everybody loose?

Glad you had a good time. Hook set!

Two things, though: ALWAYS look where you want to go, not at where you're afraid you might go. This is a hard thing to break, but very necessary, because the car will almost always go where you look. When the back end started to come around, you instinctively looked to where the car was going to slide, and that's where it went. But if you had kept looking all the way through the corner, chances are really good you would have saved it.

Second: Keep your hands at 9 and 3 instead of 12 and 12. I never have figured out why newer track/autocross people do this (my wife used to do it too), but you have way more control with your hands at 9 and 3. From a dexterity standpoint, you're better off driving one-handed than you are with both hands up top.
ERStettin likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-26-2016, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, the first thing I thought of was I do NOT want to roll this car. So I made sure it spun into the direction it was going just to keep it moving that way. I also knew I had time because I noticed before the corner there was no one behind me in the mirrors so it all worked out.

As far as my hands, they were all over the place, all day.....lol. I have a lot to learn I realize. It is fun, nonetheless. There were no instructors there with us though Jay jumped in and yelled at me a bit while I was going around there a couple times.....lol. They had us do a follow and then cut us loose. I learned a lot just from chasing that turbo BMW all day. That guy was the best in our class in my opinion and had experience driving. He was the one I was chasing when I spun out.

I do realize the car is more capable than I am. That will hopefully change.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-27-2016, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Going to this one as well if anyone else is interested in going.

Track Night 2016: Chicago - August 23
August 23, 2016, 03:00 PM - 09:00 PM CDT
Blackhawk Farms Raceway
South Beloit, IL
post #9 of 12 Old 06-14-2016, 11:56 PM

That looked like a ton of fun
post #10 of 12 Old 06-15-2016, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

It was a lot of fun Eric. Would like to find others in the area to run with regularly.

post #11 of 12 Old 06-15-2016, 11:06 AM

The SCCA track nights are a lot of fun and a cheap way to get on track. However for a novice the instruction is pretty weak and you're left to learn most of it on your own, which usually doesn't work this early in the game.

I would try to find some HPDE events you can go to and get an instructor in the car with you. It's amazing what you can learn with a good driver giving you real-time tips. Plus novices tend to be better with point-bys when they have an instructor yelling at them to let you by, so you can get better laps in.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-15-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I am sure I can find some good instructors. It is one thing to have experience, it is totally another to be able to relay that experience in a way that the person learns and shows he is learning by performance. I will find an instructor like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement