Foxbody Seats - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-16-2016, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (24)
Foxbody Seats

Hey all -

I have a pair of PVC Leather seats in my '92 Mustang that I purchased off of eBay some 5-6 years ago. Needed a pair to pass inspection when I first bought the car due to the notorious driver side "lean." Bought these in a hurry, and 6 years ago, being the fox/car illiterate guy I was, bought these off of eBay. I can't even find these on eBay anymore... but that's neither here nor there.

With these seats, I have noticed the following:
- In the most upright position of these seats (they recline), they still have a large recline angle to them. With my back fully touching the rear of the seat, I can't reach the shifter and it's tough to see over the steering wheel.
- After driving the fox for a bit i tend to develop some back pains.
-I also autocrossed for the first time last month, and I moved all over the place with these seats.

I took some angle measurements (relative to vertical being 0 deg).
- My seats are reclined ~33 deg in their most upright position.
- Engaging the pull forward lever, I positioned the seat to what feels like the most comfortable. This occurred at about a recline of 25 deg.
- For comparison purposes, the recline in my daily driver (2013 Focus) is ~23 deg.

When looking at some reclining seats, such as the Corbeau A4, angles like the ones above are not listed (Corbeau A4 Racing Seat|Free Shipping!). If I take a look at the Corbeau fixed back seats (Corbeau Clubman Racing Seat|Pair Ships Free!) a reclining angle of 65 deg is mentioned.

To get to my question... Is there anything I can do short of buying new seats? And, if I were to buy new seats, what's the easiest way to find out what is a good combination of comfort and keeping me in my place? I doubt there is somewhere that i can "sit in each chair" to try them out.

Here are my seats:

Thank you for your input!

'92 5.0 LX
h/c/i and other goodies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you want your go-fast parts delivered, don't choose USPS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-17-2016, 12:33 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Looks like the entire seat is tilted back. Can you lower or cut the front mounts?

post #3 of 6 Old 05-17-2016, 06:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Without seeing how the seats are mounted it's tough to tell you if there's anything that can be done to reduce the rearward lean. I concur with MFE in that it looks like the whole seat is leaned back - not just the seat back, but the lower cushion looks quite a bit higher in the front than at the back.

When I was shopping for seats I drove a few hours each way to get to a couple of shops that carried Corbeau and Sparco seats so that I could sit in them. I wasn't able to find any place remotely close to me that had Recaro or Cobra seats (or any other brand I might have been interested in), so I narrowed my choices to Corbeau and Sparco. I didn't want to buy something without having a chance to sit in it first. (Both of the shops in question are in the DC area - Sterling and Lorton, VA - so you could conceivably spend a day seat shopping from wherever you are in western MD.)

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-17-2016, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
Looks like the entire seat is tilted back. Can you lower or cut the front mounts?
Great thought! I didn't even think about that. I ended up adding 1.5" spacers to the rear of the seat. Took it for a test drive and what a world of a difference! I can actually see my fuel gauge without having to move forward LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1463527475524.jpg (60.3 KB, 43 views)

'92 5.0 LX
h/c/i and other goodies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 Old 05-18-2016, 12:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Are those sockets?
post #6 of 6 Old 05-18-2016, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlanoux View Post
Are those sockets?
No they are not. They are 1.5" spacers from Lowes's.

'92 5.0 LX
h/c/i and other goodies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement