Booster/MC pairings - Brembo hydroboost Fox - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-15-2016, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
TBN

Trader Feedback: (3)
Booster/MC pairings - Brembo hydroboost Fox

Car is 88 notch with 5 lug conersion, PBR fronts and GT rear discs. The previous owner retained the stock 88 booster and MC.

I'm putting the pieces together for a Brembo (Cobra R) front and Cobra rear. At same time, I'd like to swap over to a hydroboost setup to make room for a future engine swap.

After all the searching, I've come to the conclusion that the 83 Lincoln hydroboost is the way to go (drop-in with no welding the brake pedal rod). If I use this, does that mean I'm stuck to 93 Cobra or SVO MC?? I read that the threads changed in 94 so it would require a newer booster (and require more work to adapt it).

Which MC is preferred of the two? The 1 1/8" SVO or the 1" 93 Cobra?

88GT, 87GT, 86GT...all dead and gone.
88 coupe: new project after 15-year mustang break
F-15E personal best: 9.0G, 1152mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-15-2016, 02:44 PM

Look at either the 84/85 Mark VII hydroboost system, or the 96-04 Mustang hydroboost. The Mark VII uses even closer/similar parts to your 88 Mustang 302, versus the SN95 4.6 cars. The Lincoln version won't work with ABS at all, and 99-04 SN95 ABS cars have stand alone ABS and easily retrofitted. The later parts are more common at parts stores too.

I'm going to begin collecting the SN95 hydro-boost parts soon for my Lincoln. I want the ABS and have 94-98 Cobra front brakes already to go. I haven't searched yet to see if there are any differences among the SN95 hydro-boost systems, the boost amount and bias front to back. That's all I'm not sure of. The PS lines will require some work to fit with the Fox platform PS pump and rack fittings etc.

Don
92 Mark VII LSC SE - soon OBDII and 4R70, GTC kit and 347, custom paint.
98 Explorer Limited project to add 4WD, XP8 parts, KB blower, paint, 337.
99 Limited mail vehicle, SOHC 4WD, later 306/4R70W swap. 1998 Mountaineer spare. 72 Ranchero 351 Clevor project.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-15-2016, 03:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
I'm a bit confused. Why would an 83 hydro boost have any bearing on the M/C being used? So long as the two mounting studs didn't change dimensions, any Ford M/C should fit if a 93 Cobra and/or SVO unitsl fit. You may have to adjust the rod length to accommodate the M/C you choose.

If you are talking about the brake fluid lines, yes in 94 I believe Ford went to the so-called "bubble flare". Up until then Ford used a 45* double flare for brake line plumbing. However, there are adapters that can be used should a later M/C (bubble flare) is to be used with earlier brake lines (double flare). Shouldn't be an issue.

As for the M/C size, keep in mind that Ford's '00R Brembo upgrade made no changes to the rear braking. Thus, the Brembo 4-pot torque bias is nearly if not the same as the New Edge Cobras. Pedal feel is personal preference if you don't change the F/R torque bias. In this case, the 93 Cobra 1" bore may be right (shorter/firmer pedal) or perhaps the 15/16" bore M/C might be more to your liking (longer softer pedal). If you like firmer, then perhaps the 1-1/16" bore. In any case, the SVO is way too big. Research what Ford used on the '00R for a baseline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-15-2016, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
TBN

CDW, haven't thought at all about adding ABS. Hmm, time to do some searching on that and see.

qtr, thanks for the data. sounds like a 93 cobra is preferred.

post #5 of 9 Old 05-16-2016, 05:11 PM

If your car doesn't have ABS it would be tough to add it, the wires to all the four wheel sensors is the hard part.

I added ABS to a 95 Crown Vic police car that didn't come with it. But the ABS wires were already in the dash and to the back. I had to add the under hood ABS wires, sensors/rings, and then the power/ground etc, for the ABS module.

If you had ABS, then you could use the 99-04 ABS module(stand alone), with your existing wiring.

Don
92 Mark VII LSC SE - soon OBDII and 4R70, GTC kit and 347, custom paint.
98 Explorer Limited project to add 4WD, XP8 parts, KB blower, paint, 337.
99 Limited mail vehicle, SOHC 4WD, later 306/4R70W swap. 1998 Mountaineer spare. 72 Ranchero 351 Clevor project.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-17-2016, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
TBN

After a quick search, I came to that same conclusion; not doing ABS.

post #7 of 9 Old 05-17-2016, 08:51 AM

I put ABS in my 86. So long as you grab the ABS unit, all the harnesses, connectors, sensors and plumbing from the donor car, you'd be surprised how easy the swap can be from an installation perspective. Once installed, then you have the issue of checking for system faults and running those down. But the install is straight forward with all the stuff. I used a 95 GT donor. The ABS module fits right where the charcoal canister is mounted and all the fluid lines and harnesses just fit right in and hook up as if designed to retro fit an older Mustang. However, you do need the sn95 spindles and rear axles with tone rings.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-17-2016, 09:35 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
I've got everything except the brain for ABS; got it all when I picked up my '98 Cobra brakes, iirc (including rear axles with exciter rings). ABS isn't legal for CP though and I am unsure if it's easy to turn off. Would be great to have it for the street and HPDEs.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-17-2016, 10:30 AM

Some of the guys - myself included - have a disable switch installed. Whether the A/X officials would accept such a disabler is a separate question. It could be switched off or the fuse pulled and a security tape installed over the switch/fuse holder for the event. Same with TC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement