Poly bushings in the axle ears? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-15-2016, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (7)
Poly bushings in the axle ears?

While under the car recently I had a chunk of the axle ear bushings fall out. So it's safe to say they are hammered, again. Last time I changed them was about 15k/5 years ago. 500+RWHP is not gentle on things.

I have a panhard bar and MM XD control arms. Should I replace them with stock ones again or can I get away with poly for some better durability. The upper arms are 04 GT arms with factory rubber in them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-15-2016, 10:59 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
One of the reasons the bushings are failing is the roll center they define is very different than the roll center the PHB defines. IMO you need compliance there, because the PHB will always win that fight, it's just a question of how much stress do you want to put on every other hard point before the fight is over. I'd put stockers back in it if you're not going to do a 3-link or TA.

post #3 of 13 Old 03-15-2016, 11:46 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
I'm with MFE: If you have the PHB, might as well spring for cheap used TA springs and give the PM3L a shot with either stock rubber bushings or a spherical one. Even better would be to grab a heim-joined UCA but you can hold off on that if you just want to test out the PM3L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-15-2016, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
One of the reasons the bushings are failing is the roll center they define is very different than the roll center the PHB defines. IMO you need compliance there, because the PHB will always win that fight, it's just a question of how much stress do you want to put on every other hard point before the fight is over. I'd put stockers back in it if you're not going to do a 3-link or TA.
Thank you for the response. I'll get some stock ones ordered then. I will eventually do a torque arm for sure.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-16-2016, 08:10 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous SSC View Post
While under the car recently I had a chunk of the axle ear bushings fall out. So it's safe to say they are hammered, again. Last time I changed them was about 15k/5 years ago. 500+RWHP is not gentle on things.

I have a panhard bar and MM XD control arms. Should I replace them with stock ones again or can I get away with poly for some better durability. The upper arms are 04 GT arms with factory rubber in them.
I got tired of replacing mine and the last time I ruined them in one weekend so I went TA and that was the end of that.

2003 Azure mach1 5 speed with IUP
Maximum Motorsports R&T Box with Torque Arm
2012 Candy Red Metalic Premium Brembo GT w/373
HPDE Instructor
post #6 of 13 Old 03-16-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j rick kirby View Post
I got tired of replacing mine and the last time I ruined them in one weekend so I went TA and that was the end of that.
Yeah, this is totally one more motivation to get the TA. I just need to get a K-member done first so my car will actually turn. I'm already having enough under-steer issues.

I ordered up some stock replacements.

Given my car's power level I don't dare using just one control arm. Even with two I started to crack the floor pan back there. I had to weld in battle boxes and all the seams I could find.

The TA scares me since my car has so many other aftermarket things. T-56/Stiffler cross member, Dr Gas X-pipe that was built on the car. I really don't want to open pandora's box and have to modify even more stuff yet. As I've gotten older my give a ####s are fading. LOL

I do currently have MM's heaviest rated TQ arm spring in the back.

Matt, 90' GT 347, 6037 heads, V1 Si-trim, 11psi, B31 Cam, T56, SV Intake, BE/Tweecer Tuned. 550rwhp 513tq
Bonneville 130 club member. (139.993) [email protected] in the 1/4.
03' Sonic Blue Cobra 497rwhp 481tq
13' Taurus SHO Performance PackDaily
post #7 of 13 Old 03-17-2016, 12:10 AM

Quote:
I'm already having enough under-steer issues.

I do currently have MM's heaviest rated TQ arm spring in the back.
with the heavy TA springs in the rear I would think you would have the exact opposite issue... We just put new bushings in the axle ears of t500hps' CMC Mustang and he was having oversteer issues at Road Atlanta and, IIRC, he is running ~300lb rear springs. The bushings we took out of his car were shot. We surmise the additional roll stiffness with the new bushings contributed to the oversteer issues.

NMCA/Pro M/S 10011
post #8 of 13 Old 03-17-2016, 06:15 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
So with a pan hard bar and torque arm, you could use the poly? Just curious.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-17-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERStettin View Post
So with and pan hard bar and torque arm, you could use the poly? Just curious.
TA does away with the UCAs.

HPDE Instructor
post #10 of 13 Old 03-17-2016, 11:18 AM

Trader Feedback: (32)
Quote:
Thank you for the response. I'll get some stock ones ordered then. I will eventually do a torque arm for sure.
I have MM's PHB with poly LCA's and stock uppers. Plan to install the oem rear sway bay. So with a torque arm, i can remove the uppers completely?

Steve
`03 GT
post #11 of 13 Old 03-17-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve03 View Post
I have MM's PHB with poly LCA's and stock uppers. Plan to install the oem rear sway bay. So with a torque arm, i can remove the uppers completely?
Yes. Maybe you should go read up on this stuff at the MM website.

HPDE Instructor
post #12 of 13 Old 03-17-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophrC View Post
with the heavy TA springs in the rear I would think you would have the exact opposite issue... We just put new bushings in the axle ears of t500hps' CMC Mustang and he was having oversteer issues at Road Atlanta and, IIRC, he is running ~300lb rear springs. The bushings we took out of his car were shot. We surmise the additional roll stiffness with the new bushings contributed to the oversteer issues.
I haven't yet hit the track with the new rear springs and a few minor changes. Last outing my car pushed like a plow to the point of being embarrassing. Hopefully its much better when I go out in May.

Matt, 90' GT 347, 6037 heads, V1 Si-trim, 11psi, B31 Cam, T56, SV Intake, BE/Tweecer Tuned. 550rwhp 513tq
Bonneville 130 club member. (139.993) [email protected] in the 1/4.
03' Sonic Blue Cobra 497rwhp 481tq
13' Taurus SHO Performance PackDaily
post #13 of 13 Old 03-17-2016, 02:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j rick kirby View Post
TA does away with the UCAs.
Thanks, just bought the car and it is in paint so I thought I would ask and also asked the guy I bought it from. It has no uppers or quads and the Griggs heavy duty TA and Pan Hard bar. Should be set. Appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement