• 1 Post By willyt
  • 1 Post By MFE
  • 1 Post By Jim Brozynski
  • 1 Post By Oldbutnew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 02-14-2016, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (12)
Race License Questions

I have been looking at various places to run when my car is done and noticed you need to have a race license to do the test n tune at my home track. Can anyone tell me about this? It specifically asks who my license is with....suggestions on who to get this with? I have done nothing but drag racing my whole life and we never needed to have a license while running slower than 9 second quarters. Also, how much do they cost and how long are they good for? Thanks for any help you can give.

Pre-Race Test and Tune | Blackhawk Farms Raceway

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-14-2016, 08:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
It's no small task getting a racing license. They're refrensing a license from NASA, SCCA, etc. so you can look them up to see their requirements.

post #3 of 23 Old 02-14-2016, 08:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Do you have a fully prepped race car, or are you looking to get your street car on track? Looking at their website, under "Track Days" they list "Automotive Track Days" and "Pre-Race Test and Tune". If you're not a licensed racer with a fully prepped race car, then you shouldn't be looking at the Test and Tune days, you should looking at the Automotive Track Days (or one of the HPDE type events run by the various clubs that rent the track - looks like there are a number of options on the track's calendar).

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 02-14-2016, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I went back and saw that. Thanks. I will definitely be hitting as many as I can.
post #5 of 23 Old 02-14-2016, 09:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Blackhawk Farms may be the most convenient, but I'd also be looking at the calendars for Road America (one of the best tracks in the country, and only ~2 hours from you) and Autobahn Country Club (also only ~2 hours from you). You're in a prime location for getting access to road courses.
ERStettin likes this.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #6 of 23 Old 02-15-2016, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

I do plan on making it up to Road America and hopefully down to Joliet as well. Thanks
post #7 of 23 Old 02-15-2016, 11:49 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
I'd be really surprised if there wasn't a group that ran track days at Blackhawk like just about any other track, where any joe schmoe with a tech'd car and a current helmet can get on track.

edit: Sure enough, all you need to do is google "HPDE Blackhawk" and you'll see lots of track days there and I guarantee you don't need a race license. Is there some reason you specifically want a "test & tune"?

Last edited by MFE; 02-15-2016 at 12:15 PM.
post #8 of 23 Old 02-15-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

No, I just chose test n tune because that is what I did drag racing. I thought it might be setup the same with the road racing but apparently not. No big deal, I will find the designated track days for the novice and make sure I am there. Thanks.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-16-2016, 10:06 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERStettin View Post
I have been looking at various places to run when my car is done
OK, I've got to ask what all are you doing with the car? I think you've mentioned K-member and paint.

Jay
post #10 of 23 Old 02-16-2016, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Hey Jay,

Yeah it is in paint. It needed that badly. It is supposed to be done by the time I get home. Other than having it tuned (have not decided where yet), I am going to hold off on any performance mods until I get used to driving it the way it is. After I find out what I like and don't like, I will move on from there. I do think the K Member will be going in within a year or so. I just want to lose the weight for the most part and that would be a good start.

What have you been doing? Any more mods on your car?

post #11 of 23 Old 02-16-2016, 10:43 AM

I've actually been building a Grooming Salon in the Kennel building, so no time for the car.

I'm thinking about the fuel system. I will at least do new lines (3/8" SS) and one of the Pro-M pump hangars. I also have been considering the Aeromotive '03-'04 cobra style tank, it's supposed to have an excellent internal baffling system. Just want to make sure it's a worthwhile mod.

I also have an '04 Cobra steering rack that has yet to be installed, and I need to wire in the oil temp gauge. I also need to check the valve lash, calibrate the wide bands, increase negative camber, and change the oil before the first event. The wait is starting to get annoying LOL!

Jay
post #12 of 23 Old 02-16-2016, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

I hear you. I find myself looking at pictures of the car over and over. Can't wait until it is done. Sounds like you are going to be busy for a while. I am shooting for this track day at Blackhawk. Upcoming Events | Blackhawk Farms Automotive Track Day | Blackhawk Farms Raceway 11 May 16. Car should be done and ready to go and it will be my first time on the road racing course. Looking forward to it.
post #13 of 23 Old 02-16-2016, 07:21 PM

I have instructed at many a track day. Road America does have quite a number of days rented out by various car clubs and track day groups. Look up Northwoods Shelby club as they are WI based and run RA, BFR, and AB.

Also don't forget the other tracks in the Midwest; Gingerman & Grattan, both in Michigan. A longer drive for you but variety is the spice of life.

I have instructed at HPDE's, which is what some track days are called at all of the tracks mentioned.

Do a search here for events and dates.

Automotive Events - Competition and Racing Calendar with Online Registration
ERStettin likes this.

"Drag racing is for those people who don't know how to down shift and brake at the same time. "
DD '12 VW Jetta TDI, Race car '87 ITA 16V Scriocco
Cars owned: '86 Mustang GT, '92 Mustang LX, '93 Mustang Cobra "R" #58
post #14 of 23 Old 02-16-2016, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for that information. I will check it out.
post #15 of 23 Old 02-16-2016, 08:02 PM

Also go to each of the tracks website and look at their calendar to find other events not listed at the link I posted.

"Drag racing is for those people who don't know how to down shift and brake at the same time. "
post #16 of 23 Old 02-16-2016, 08:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Become friends with people in PCA and BMW clubs. They love track days
ERStettin likes this.

88GT with the 5.slow
post #17 of 23 Old 02-17-2016, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

I will have to find some....lol. I don't know anyone that drives a BMW.
post #18 of 23 Old 02-17-2016, 09:22 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERStettin View Post
I will have to find some....lol. I don't know anyone that drives a BMW.
Just search for BMWCCA's and PCA's in the midwest. They both have regions all over and they almost always accept any make of vehicle at their Driver Education events, aka track days. And sometimes the programs and instruction are truly excellent.
ERStettin likes this.
post #19 of 23 Old 02-17-2016, 10:25 AM

Nothing against those clubs but here in the Midwest there are a number of Ford car clubs, that do track days and since he's asking on a Mustang forum I would say he should look first at track days put on by Shelby, Cobra, or SVT car clubs. There are a number of independent groups that put on track days as well.
Three Balls Racing & CGI Motorsports do track days at either Gingerman or Grattan, both in Michigan.
SCCA has a program for newbes called "Track Night America"
I also belong to a group called Midwest Council of Sports Car Clubs and they put on "real" road races and both HPDE's and Solo I's at track like Blackhawk Farms, Gingerman, Road America, and Autobahn.
There's a chance for the poster to come out to BFR on March 19 and attend a seminar as part of an introduction to both racing and open track driving. Weather permitting he will also get a chance to drive BFR in a track touring session. Here's a link: North Suburban Sports Car Club
Also a racing trade show this weekend in Schaumburg, IL :Race And Performance Expo - High Performance Products
ERStettin likes this.

post #20 of 23 Old 02-17-2016, 11:18 AM

Hey there Jim. I believe you coached my first track day (fall last year) at Autobahn at the Good Guy's event ('95 Mustang)! Thanks for the help, and for the info provided here. I had a blast!

Jay
post #21 of 23 Old 02-17-2016, 11:26 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

FWIW I would avoid Track Night in America like the plague. Reports are a total ####-show.
post #22 of 23 Old 02-17-2016, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyeone. I am taking it all in and will be at some of these this year. Hope to run into (no pun intended) all of you sometime.

BTW, I am now out of town and will be until May, so I will not be able to attend anything until I come back. Thank you all for the help and advice here. I do appreciate it.
post #23 of 23 Old 02-19-2016, 09:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
Blackhawk Farms may be the most convenient, but I'd also be looking at the calendars for Road America (one of the best tracks in the country, and only ~2 hours from you) and Autobahn Country Club (also only ~2 hours from you). You're in a prime location for getting access to road courses.

^^^^^ JEALOUS!! JEALOUS!! JEALOUS!! ^^^^^^
ERStettin likes this.

'88 LX hatch. Mild 331. Full MM suspension minus the Torque Arm, Cobra Brakes. Not as slow as it used to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement