DIY Delrin bushings - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jim Brozynski

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 02-02-2016, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (16)
DIY Delrin bushings

Anyone ever done it? I'm looking into getting a MM front crossmember and the delrin control arm bushings are a $100 ad on. Enough delrin to make my own cost about $25. I have delrin subframe bushings in my IRS, but couldnt bring my self to drop the coin for the delrin rear upper and lover control arm bushings so I went with poly. After some research I wish I had gone with the delrin. But if I can make my own cost effectively I may do that in the future. For now I'll worry about the fronts.

Any one done it, or know of anyone doing it?

1993 Mustang LX Coupe H/C/I 306/T5/IRS
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-03-2016, 09:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
JasonM, doesn't Vorshlag cut bushings out of delrin on one of your machines? Not sure it would be a cheaper option for the OP but maybe if you allowed him to supply the delrin?

post #3 of 17 Old 02-05-2016, 08:24 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
unless you have access to a lathe or have a buddy that will do them for free, you really arent saving much. and flanging the bushing without a lathe would be near impossible to do properly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-05-2016, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 roush stage 3 View Post
unless you have access to a lathe or have a buddy that will do them for free, you really arent saving much. and flanging the bushing without a lathe would be near impossible to do properly

Yes, and yes.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
post #5 of 17 Old 02-09-2016, 03:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
This is going to come across rude, but if $75.00 matters you are in the wrong sport. If you want to build them just to see if you can. Go for it. I think it would be easy if you have a lathe.

96 Saleen, Griggs GR40, Teksid Dry Sleeve 5.0 with TFS heads & T56 = Family Cruiser.
1979 Porsche 930, Guards Red, Stock
post #6 of 17 Old 02-10-2016, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

$75 ain't gonna break me. If I can expand my skill set, be able to say I made them, and keep the $75; then I'll do that. Rear control arm bushings are $500, so If I can keep $450 of that in my pocket I will; too. Any chump can buy parts.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
post #7 of 17 Old 02-10-2016, 06:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 roush stage 3 View Post
Since were talking about something soft like delrin I would think a wood shop lathe should be able to handle that. [waaay cheaper than a metal lathe, and more people have one, or know someone who does].

Heck, I didn't even think about that until now. Where can you buy delrin stock to use for bushings?
post #8 of 17 Old 02-10-2016, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Acetal Delrin - Sheet, Plate, Rod online

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
post #9 of 17 Old 02-10-2016, 09:06 PM

Thanks.

Looks like you would save quite a bit of money making your on based on the prices I saw in the link you posted.

So what does the hive think about using a wood lathe to turn these things? Why wouldn't it work?
post #10 of 17 Old 02-23-2016, 01:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I will spend more for tools to build something than it cost to buy parts just to end up with a new tool I can use later.

I have never used a wood lathe but I don't think it is a precision tool versus a machine lathe. All wood lathe use I've seen uses a hand held cutting tool on a rest. You would never be able to make bushings with one unless you fitted a precision tool holder to it.

All that said I made some lower control arm bushings out of teflon once. Used aluminum for pins and it squeaked beyond tolerance. I took it back apart and grooved them and fitted grease fitting to no avail. Ended up buying a set of the Ford Racing / Global West DelAlum delrin bushings. That little adventure didn't cost me anything but time. Car handled the same with both I just could NOT get the squeak out of the teflon on aluminum.

99 Mustang GT - Auto-x/track car, 96 Townsend Chassis Late Model Stockcar (sold), 03 F150 - Daily Driver
http://www.youtube.com/user/sandyman099/videos
post #11 of 17 Old 02-23-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
I will spend more for tools to build something than it cost to buy parts just to end up with a new tool I can use later.

I have never used a wood lathe but I don't think it is a precision tool versus a machine lathe. All wood lathe use I've seen uses a hand held cutting tool on a rest. You would never be able to make bushings with one unless you fitted a precision tool holder to it.

All that said I made some lower control arm bushings out of teflon once. Used aluminum for pins and it squeaked beyond tolerance. I took it back apart and grooved them and fitted grease fitting to no avail. Ended up buying a set of the Ford Racing / Global West DelAlum delrin bushings. That little adventure didn't cost me anything but time. Car handled the same with both I just could NOT get the squeak out of the teflon on aluminum.
The only problem is the metal lathes, even used cost big bucks, not to mention most are going to need three phase power.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-23-2016, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

We have four lathes at work, and a buddy has one in his garage.

I also found out we have Delrin at work...

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
post #13 of 17 Old 02-25-2016, 04:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Do it. I have a lathe and I've made my own bushings from a rod of Poly that I bought.
Some here keep thinking that there's no cost savings if you have to go out and get a lathe, and that's true.
But you and I already have one so the only cost is the time to grind a HHS tool bit to cut the material.
When you do make a cutting tool you will need a very sharp edge and a generous relief angle.
Stew_Magoo likes this.

"Drag racing is for those people who don't know how to down shift and brake at the same time. "
DD '12 VW Jetta TDI, Race car '87 ITA 16V Scriocco
Cars owned: '86 Mustang GT, '92 Mustang LX, '93 Mustang Cobra "R" #58
post #14 of 17 Old 02-25-2016, 05:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I made some for mine here at work. We use delrin on all of our other cars that we build a kit for, I just had to measure up for mine. You won't regret it if you make the change.

1993 LX hatch - 331 stroker, AFR 195's, Comp Cams XE282hr, Vortech V2, TKO 600, Baer brakes... Just your typical budget build!
post #15 of 17 Old 02-27-2016, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brozynski View Post
Do it. I have a lathe and I've made my own bushings from a rod of Poly that I bought.
Some here keep thinking that there's no cost savings if you have to go out and get a lathe, and that's true.
But you and I already have one so the only cost is the time to grind a HHS tool bit to cut the material.
When you do make a cutting tool you will need a very sharp edge and a generous relief angle.

I made an axle housing end for my Chrysler 9 3/4 rear end after I bought and paid for new ends from Strange. Sold the Strange ends for a loss. Sometimes it's about the journey, and not the destination.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
post #16 of 17 Old 02-27-2016, 04:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Im with you about buying tools equipment for a project, there is nothing better than a "justified" excuse to get more toys I got a hobby lathe just for the same reason and is one of the best purchases Ive made, never again do I need so stack washers of rig some janky spacer...just cut what I need now.

Do it, make your own and pocket the cash.

Chris
2k GT 5.4 DOHC ProCharged/Intercooled- NOSLOGT-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'91 521 cu LX Hatchback- 8PT5LTR-
Feb '07 MM&FF Feature, Dec '06 Hemmings Muscle Machines Weekend Warior
post #17 of 17 Old 03-08-2016, 04:56 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
Was the squeak just teflon on aluminum? Is bushing noise usually when the whole bushing tries to spin or the crush tube binds up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement