Brake fittings: going cross-eyed - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-15-2015, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Brake fittings: going cross-eyed

OK.

So, I've got the Ford 2300-X kit, hooray for me. To go with that, I've got a 93 Cobra MC, the MM master cylinder adapter kit, and when I remember to order it, the adjustable prop valve.

The 2300-X kit looks to use the stock 1/4" tubing nut to hook up the provided flex line. I found a nice new Dorman nut locally to verify the size. However, when I removed the front driver side line from the prop valve, the 1/8"(?) tubing nuts wouldn't break free of the hard line, and pretzeled the line. So I thought I'd be Mr. Fancy Pants and swap it out with flex line, that would go from the prop valve to the bracket that's bolted by the wheel.

I've been through Aeroquip, Goodrige, Russell, Pegasus, etc. Does anyone make fitting that can be swaged onto flexline that uses these tubing nut style connections? Or is it going to have to be some sort of adapter? I'm not seeing anything 1/4" in any of these books, it's all 3/8" and 7/16". Or metric. Or BSP.

I must be doing something wrong here. Any takers?

88GT with the 5.slow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-16-2015, 09:30 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Going to have to adapt. All brake connections are 45 deg and AN stuff is 37 deg. Also. all brake fittings should be steel or stainless. Don't use aluminum. Take a look at these pages. I'll bet you find what you need.

Adapter Fittings - Brake and Clutch Hose - Russell Performance Products

PowerFlex Brake Hose - Brake and Clutch Hose - Russell Performance Products

92 Calypso Fox Vert - Vortech Blown
02 Harley F150 - KB Blown 12.48 @109
post #3 of 10 Old 11-16-2015, 09:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
my guess would be that you would need some kind of adapter to go from the line to the port or other fitting. that would be the easier route anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-16-2015, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

I don't mind using an adapter, I'm just having trouble finding an adapter that uses that 1/4" tubing nut size? Are they called something else?

I forgot that we have an Aeroquip distributor close by, I'll probably bug the hell of them, it's so much easier to describe it visually.

88GT with the 5.slow
post #5 of 10 Old 11-16-2015, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Ahhh, struck out at AeroQuip. Onto the next...

88GT with the 5.slow
post #6 of 10 Old 11-16-2015, 03:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I've always heard you should use solid tubing whenever possible. That could be why no one makes it.

Some Crown Vics had a piece of braided in the lines from the master cylinder, but I think it's bubble flare.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-17-2015, 07:15 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
got an exact pic of what you need. even if its in a different size?
post #8 of 10 Old 11-17-2015, 04:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
Not sure I understand but IIRC, the M2300X kit uses what is called "bubble flared" fittings while the earlier cars used double flare fittings. The two are not compatible without an adaptor.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-17-2015, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryr View Post
I've always heard you should use solid tubing whenever possible. That could be why no one makes it.

Some Crown Vics had a piece of braided in the lines from the master cylinder, but I think it's bubble flare.
For the time being, this is going to be for just the front driver side, since the hard line from the prop valve to the wheel got ruined. In the future though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 roush stage 3 View Post
got an exact pic of what you need. even if its in a different size?
This is what I sent Goodridge. The fitting on the line is exactly what the OEM fitting on the OEM rubber line is like, that's what gets mounted to the body. The inverted flare nut, on the right, is what I'm trying to find in an adapter, that'll let me hook into an AN or other style fiting. Which leads me to....

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
Not sure I understand but IIRC, the M2300X kit uses what is called "bubble flared" fittings while the earlier cars used double flare fittings. The two are not compatible without an adaptor.
Yep, an inverted flare nut. That's the Dorman number in the first post. I managed to confuse even Goodridge with what I'm tying to do.

I'm about 96.37% sure that it's a 7/16" x 24 thread, so I ordered some of these (7/16" x 24 to -3) and these (7/16" x 24 to -4)

I think it comes down to a question of terminology. One man's 1/4" tubing nut is another man's 7/16" x 24.

88GT with the 5.slow
post #10 of 10 Old 11-18-2015, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

OK, got this sorted. The 7/16" x 24 is the same as the 1/4".

88GT with the 5.slow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement