Need To Change Front Hubs - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-10-2015, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Need To Change Front Hubs

Car has 140,000 and I track it a lot so I think I am going to change the front hubs before something happens. I want the best/strongest available in a stock replacement. What does everyone suggest and what size in the spindle nut and torque spec?

2003 Azure mach1 5 speed with IUP
Maximum Motorsports R&T Box with Torque Arm
2012 Candy Red Metalic Premium Brembo GT w/373
HPDE Instructor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-10-2015, 10:07 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Koyo brand are about the best you'll get, available at any parts store. I like to take them apart and re-grease them with high performance grease like Redline. Spindle nut is 35mm, torque spec is something like 250 lbs. You're not technically supposed to re-use the nut, but everybody does. On a side note, it blows my mind you haven't had to replace yours yet. I'd almost be inclined to just buy a new one as a spare and wait til yours actually start to go, they'll give you fair warning when they do.

post #3 of 6 Old 11-10-2015, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=MFE;16439258]Koyo brand are about the best you'll get, available at any parts store. I like to take them apart and re-grease them with high performance grease like Redline. Spindle nut is 35mm, torque spec is something like 250 lbs. You're not technically supposed to re-use the nut, but everybody does. On a side note, it blows my mind you haven't had to replace yours yet. I'd almost be inclined to just buy a new one as a spare and wait til yours actually start to go, they'll give you fair warning when they do.[/QUO

As of right now they are smooth and tight. I just keep thinking that they can't last too much longer. I am just afraid that one will come apart while on track. Maybe I'm paranoid because I had a wheel break a few months ago and before that a strut broke almost in half. If you think they will give me plenty of warning maybe I'll wait.

2003 Azure mach1 5 speed with IUP
Maximum Motorsports R&T Box with Torque Arm
2012 Candy Red Metalic Premium Brembo GT w/373
HPDE Instructor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-10-2015, 11:38 AM

Buy a spare. I take a spare Koyo front hub pre-loaded with ARP extra long wheel studs. You will need a 250 ft-lb capable torque wrench and a 35mm socket. Getting the old one off will take an air gun or at least a breaker bar.

There are two types of spindle nuts. The Dorman nut is a few bucks with a crush sleeve. I prefer the Motorcraft nut which is made up of a number of crush washers caged in a housing. Maybe 3X more than Dorman at $15 or so.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-11-2015, 04:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
Koyo brand are about the best you'll get, available at any parts store. I like to take them apart and re-grease them with high performance grease like Redline. Spindle nut is 35mm, torque spec is something like 250 lbs. You're not technically supposed to re-use the nut, but everybody does. On a side note, it blows my mind you haven't had to replace yours yet. I'd almost be inclined to just buy a new one as a spare and wait til yours actually start to go, they'll give you fair warning when they do.
MFE. Are they easy to take apart or is it somewhat involved? Curious

1986-045 Saleen Mustang Griggs GR40, 408W RDI aluminum block, AFR 205, T56
1999 Porsche 911 Carerra - Stock
1999 BMW M Coupe - Stock
post #6 of 6 Old 11-11-2015, 06:28 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
They're pretty easy to take a part and reassemble: https://forums.corral.net/forums/gene...-bearings.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement