Planning on my first autocross Sept 20th Goodyear Az. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 08-23-2015, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Planning on my first autocross Sept 20th Goodyear Az.

I was planning on my first autocross to be the Goodguys All American Sunday in nov. in Scottsdale Az. Never done it so was going to jump in feet first. but then today I discovered that there is an event close to me in a few weeks. It is an SCCA Autocross in Goodyear Az. So I am now going to be able to get some seat time before I do Goodguys. Is there anyone from this area going?
Been reading the heck out of this message board for 3 months and researching my A off on what to do to my car. Have gotten allot of great advice here. But one of the best pieces of advice was from qtrracer.
He post this reply to me on my other thread.
"Seat time is worth more to the novice than any other mod. The season has started. Get out a run the thing the way it sits. Don't even think about a mod until the season is over . Of course, this advice assumes the brakes and tires are in appropriate shape for auto-crossing."
My 88GT is 98% full on stock. Only mods is a Cobra intake and Flowmaster Mufflers. I have a clean slate. But I have a couple of mods I want to do before I do this. I got a set of Subframe connectors that I will be welding on the car in a week or so. I want to replace my front pads with a set of Hawk pads. Also replace my rubber brake lines with steel braded lines. I have done this before and I know it is a big improvement in braking. I know that is very needed in Autocrossing. I got a new set of BFG G Force Sport Comps tires. I hope to replace my stock driver's seat with a race seat before that event also. The stock seat just seems too high in the car for me and I also would like to gain some lateral support. I have a set of 5 point racing belts from my old, Brand "X" drag car from years ago. They are a bit outdated but it is better then the stock belt. It stays real loose. I hope to have a Gopro in the car so I can post a vid.
Thanks for all the free advice on this board.
Matt

1988 GT
2006 V6 S197
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-23-2015, 10:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Which Hawk pads? There are a variety of flavors. And IMO, regardless of which flavor you're thinking of, I wouldn't go with them - you can get similar performance for significantly less money. I've run a variety of performance pads over the years, but for the past couple years I've been running ACDelco Professional Grade semi-metallics and I'm quite impressed (enough that I'm never going to spend the big $$$ for "better" pads again). I'm pretty sure Raybestos Professional Grade semi-metallics are the same thing, just different branding - PGD431M for the stock calipers. Only $24 at rockauto.com, compared to 3 or 4 times that much for the various Hawk street pads.

Get the new tires on the car and put some mileage on them to scrub off the mold release compound, you don't want to run brand new tires at an event.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #3 of 29 Old 08-23-2015, 10:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Awesome! At the SCCA event, you are mostly likely to learn a lot by talking to the FS, ESP, and CP guys (also class most likely for foxbodies, imo). Don't be surprised if most of those guys, ages 30ish and up, cut their teeth in foxbodies and so should have some good insight to to share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 08-23-2015, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Patrick. I will look into the PGD431M. I was going to get the Hawk HPS. But if I can get the same performance from something less money. I am for it. I have about 200 miles on the new tires.

1988 GT
2006 V6 S197
post #5 of 29 Old 08-23-2015, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks aurdraco. That is what I am looking forward to. I hope to run into a few other Fox Body autocrossers. I would love to meet some locals into the same thing I am.

1988 GT
2006 V6 S197
post #6 of 29 Old 08-24-2015, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Another thing I was planning on doing for prep was changing out my brake fluid. Would not be surprised that the system has the same fluid that was put in there at the factory. Any suggestions on what I should use for fluid?

1988 GT
2006 V6 S197
post #7 of 29 Old 08-24-2015, 05:03 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

The SCCA autocross and the Goodguys autocross aren't in the same league. That autocross pad at AMP is something like 5 acres, with absolutely nothing to hit. No parking bricks, no light poles. And the SCCA knows what they're doing. I've never been to one of their events here in PHX but there are several Nationals-level drivers that participate, so chances are, you're going to find a nice, open course with the ability to pick your own line through it rather than have the line imposed by a narrow sea of cones, and a run time of probably close to a minute if not more, just because the lot is so big and open. Most of the SCCA events are on a very small lot at the Bondurant facility, so they bust a nut when they get to run at AMP, and take advantage of it.

The Goodguys "autocrosses" are usually short, tight, sea-of-cones laid out by people who think that making them tight and filling every possible empty space with a cone makes them safer, when in fact it does just the opposite.

As for car mods, I used to like Hawks but I grew tired of them. Even the HPS needs a little heat to work its best, and dusts like crazy the whole time. Forget about HP+ for autocrossing, their braking power at autocross speeds comes from grinding the rotor away.

Also, if you're at all concerned about class competitiveness I think the SFC's bump you pretty hard. I say screw it, mod the car the way you want and have at it. If you were really concerned about class competitiveness there are about 500 better options now than a Foxbody 5.0 LOL. Changing brake fluid is a good idea, I'd go with a decent parts-store DOT 4, or the best bang for the buck is MOTUL 600.

However, if you don't have a pressure bleeder or a vacuum pump, then you're going to have to do a gravity bleed (takes forever) or pump the pedal. If you do the pedal method, be very careful not to put the pedal to the floor, or even too far outside its normal operating range, or you might join the long line of people who have fubar'd their master cylinders trying to do the right thing. Then ya gotta do it all over again after installing a new MC and that's no fun.

Lastly, the asshat neighbors of AMP have forced the facility to employ a sound meter, and violations cost the facility and the organizers big bucks. If you trip the meter, you'll be kicked out. I don't know what the required level is on the autocross pad (I think it's 92 db on the road course, and that's further from the houses), but reading "flowmasters" triggers me to ask around the board at azsolo.com and see if they think it'll be a problem.

Last edited by MFE; 08-24-2015 at 05:07 PM.
post #8 of 29 Old 08-24-2015, 09:03 PM

That's a great point about noise. I have a 306 with full length headers, no cats, 20-year old Shuttleworth mufflers, and stock tailpipes; I hit 89db at every local event. We have a 90db limit. 3-chamber flowmasters should be fine, 2-chambers might be iffy.
post #9 of 29 Old 08-25-2015, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all that info. Yea, when I saw some photos from AMP, I liked the idea of going there to autocross for the first time then Goodguys. I could see the big amount of room there. I did a ride along with a friend at the Goodguys event last March. I got to tell you, there were so many cones, I was confused on where we were going.
I use to have a brake pressure bleeder, but it got stolen. I am going to go get a vacuum pump to do my brakes.
I still have my cats and it sounds like I have 3 chambered Flowmasters. I'm not really that loud.
I am getting pretty amped up about this SCCA event. Now I see I need to get a helmet. So I got to add that to the list of things I want done before I do this event. But I will be saving by not going with the Hawk pads.
Thanks All

1988 GT
2006 V6 S197
post #10 of 29 Old 08-25-2015, 01:22 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

They'll probably have loaner helmets.

Make sure you tell them you're new and you've never done this before, they'll steer you to people who can help with every aspect of the day.

post #11 of 29 Old 08-25-2015, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, I will do that. I am doing this to learn. I want to be a regular at these local events. Not really worried about getting into the whole competition of it. I do not want to build my car to a rule book. I just wan to enjoy myself and get to know others into this hobby. So building my car for a particular class is not an objective.
I have always had a huge interest in chassis performance. I have a background in it and a very good understanding in it. I do not know why I did not get into this years ago.

1988 GT
2006 V6 S197
post #12 of 29 Old 08-25-2015, 08:34 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Garage
Also, the day of the event, you may want to up the air pressure in your front tires to around 40+ psi. That will help the tires sidewall from not folding over on itself and also provide better grip. Another thing, walk the course!!!! Walk the course several times and have it down in your head before you ever get behind the wheel. You'd be surprised how many people get lost on course and dnf cause they lost their way. After the drivers meeting they will usually have a novice course walk. I suggest doing it. Very helpful for first timers. And quite possibly the best piece of advice I was ever given, always look ahead!! Try not to focus on what's right in front of your car, but what's 50 feet in front of your car. And remember, smooth is fast.

If your car is a stick and depending on your gear ratio, I shift into 2nd gear and leave it there. Rarely do I ever have to shift into 3rd gear on an autocross course in my region.

'90 GT, 331ci, AFR 185's, S-Trim, Cobra brakes, Torsen T-2R, Koni's, Fays2 watts, MM goodies, K-member, Torque-arm, control arms, coil-overs, 18x10" wheels.
My Fox GT Build-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CAM-C www.sbrscca.org
post #13 of 29 Old 08-25-2015, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

I wondered if there would be a chance to walk the course. I am glad that we can do that. Thanks for the air pressure info. I will do that.
My car is a stick. I have ben watching autocross videos on You Tube and saw that you just get into second and leave it. Good, less to worry about. I can concentrate on the other stuff. LOL!

1988 GT
2006 V6 S197
post #14 of 29 Old 08-25-2015, 10:26 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

post #15 of 29 Old 08-26-2015, 12:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
As a rookie myself (first autocross last month) I don't have a whole lot of valuable experience but I am the most recent to your situation lol. I do have the cobra brakes so they are pretty good but I've run 2 events and haven't touched them. I definitely plan to address/inspect them soon as I would like to go to a track day. The #1 mod for me was racing seats. I got some corbeau A4s and they will do wonders for you. You can drive so much fast when you don't have to worry about sliding into the passenger seat! I just got some sticky tires for my next event but since my last event was my last time on those tires I took advantage and fully explored the handling limits of the car. Most fun I've ever had! Definitely go, you'll be hooked!

1994 Mustang Cobra #662,347 Stroker,AFR Heads,Trickflow Intake,Anderson Cam,LT Headers,Flowmaster
TR-3550,Centerforce Clutch,31 Spline Axles,42lb Injectors,90mm MAF,SCT Tune
Steeda Suspension,FLSFC,Edelbrock Shocks,18x9.5 Forgestar CF5,Hankook RS3 Tires
Dyno'd @ 366rwhp 378ft/lbs
post #16 of 29 Old 08-27-2015, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for those Link MFE. That is some great reading. Very helpful in my planning for this event.
Nathan, your advice is outstanding. Thank you for chiming in. You may be a rookie, but you are a step ahead of me and your insight is very helpful. You just confirmed something I was thinking about. I am starting to feel that I can hold off on the brake stuff. What I have will work. I may change out the pads for at least some better OEM quality and also have a fresh set. I have not yet inspected my brakes. So who knows how they are. I started thinking all ready and you confirmed my thinking. The best mod is a seat. I also need a helmet. It was stated that there are loaners, but I think I should get one and not take a chance. I can't afford at this time a real autoracing SA2010helmet. but it looks like for this event. I can get away with a DOT helmet at the least. But I need to be held in my seat. That is where I am going to put my prep money.

1988 GT
2006 V6 S197
post #17 of 29 Old 08-27-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencon View Post
Thanks for those Link MFE. That is some great reading. Very helpful in my planning for this event.
Nathan, your advice is outstanding. Thank you for chiming in. You may be a rookie, but you are a step ahead of me and your insight is very helpful. You just confirmed something I was thinking about. I am starting to feel that I can hold off on the brake stuff. What I have will work. I may change out the pads for at least some better OEM quality and also have a fresh set. I have not yet inspected my brakes. So who knows how they are. I started thinking all ready and you confirmed my thinking. The best mod is a seat. I also need a helmet. It was stated that there are loaners, but I think I should get one and not take a chance. I can't afford at this time a real autoracing SA2010helmet. but it looks like for this event. I can get away with a DOT helmet at the least. But I need to be held in my seat. That is where I am going to put my prep money.
Yeah the seat definitely helps a ton. I just use loaner helmets. The new standard comes out this October so I am waiting until the SA2015 helmets come out. That way they will be good for 10 years. Up to you though.

1994 Mustang Cobra #662,347 Stroker,AFR Heads,Trickflow Intake,Anderson Cam,LT Headers,Flowmaster
post #18 of 29 Old 08-27-2015, 02:49 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

I would be shocked if they didn't require a Snell-certified helmet for this event. If you already have a DOT helmet, take it, and use a loaner if need be, but don't waste your money on buying a helmet that isn't Snell rated at this point.

edit: They do require a Snell helmet. From the SCCA Solo II rulebook:

Quote:
EQUIPMENT4.3.1 Helmets
Helmets meeting the following standards must be worn while on course:
All helmets meeting the latest or two immediately preceding Snell Foundation standards (SA2015, SA2010, SAH2010, SA2005, SA2000, M2015, M2010, M2005, M2000...

Last edited by MFE; 08-27-2015 at 03:52 PM.
post #19 of 29 Old 08-27-2015, 04:57 PM

With the 2015 rating coming, the 2010 helmets are fixing to have fire sales (if not already). I think I got mine for dirt cheap a few years ago. Just keep an eye out for deals.
post #20 of 29 Old 08-27-2015, 08:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
If this is an SCCA event, check out CAM (Classic American Muscle). Pretty much designed for Fox chassis cars. Rules are wide open on mods which favor the Mustang among other American Muscle. Fun class here in DC and gaining in popularity. Generally has more entries than CP and approaches ESP.
post #21 of 29 Old 08-27-2015, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. I will figure out something about a new helmet. Good info. But for now, from what I understand about the SCCA rules. My helmet would be legal. When I said DOT, I meant a Snell rated M2000 Motorcycle helmet.

1988 GT
2006 V6 S197
post #22 of 29 Old 08-27-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks all. I will figure out something about a new helmet. Good info. But for now, from what I understand about the SCCA rules. My helmet would be legal. When I said DOT, I meant a Snell rated M2000 Motorcycle helmet.
Yeah if you already have that helmet then use it. My friend uses his dad's motorcycle helment. Also, I have been running CAM as well, although in Novice. So I am ranked according to other novices, not the other cars in CAM. Our region usually has foxes, sn95, new mustangs, camaros, and the 2000s GTO in the CAM class. In our region the 2 biggest classes (except miatas) are XP and CAM.

post #23 of 29 Old 09-06-2015, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Well, it looks like I am not going to be able to do any of the upgrades I wanted to do, to my car before this event. But I am still going to enter. I found a problem in my cooling system and took care of that and my daily driver needed some money tossed at it and that came from my GT upgrade fund. Plus I have not been able to put the time I wanted into my car. But I figure that this will be a good experience running the car close to stock so that I can see the changes when I do those upgrades. I need to get the seat time. I do hope that I can get at least my sub frame connectors installed and my racing belts in so that I can be held in the best possible way in the old stock seats. So with what little time I have. I am just going to go over the car and make sure everything is ok and safe for the event.
I am going to borrow my buddy's GoPros too, so I can record my "Antics".
Thanks for all the input, l guys. It has all been some great help.
Matt

1988 GT
2006 V6 S197
post #24 of 29 Old 09-06-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Well, it looks like I am not going to be able to do any of the upgrades I wanted to do, to my car before this event. But I am still going to enter. I found a problem in my cooling system and took care of that and my daily driver needed some money tossed at it and that came from my GT upgrade fund. Plus I have not been able to put the time I wanted into my car. But I figure that this will be a good experience running the car close to stock so that I can see the changes when I do those upgrades. I need to get the seat time. I do hope that I can get at least my sub frame connectors installed and my racing belts in so that I can be held in the best possible way in the old stock seats. So with what little time I have. I am just going to go over the car and make sure everything is ok and safe for the event.
I am going to borrow my buddy's GoPros too, so I can record my "Antics".
Thanks for all the input, l guys. It has all been some great help.
Matt
Sounds like a plan! Let us know how it goes.

post #25 of 29 Old 09-07-2015, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

What should I set my alignment to? Again, all stock and no CC plates. It looks like I have allot of room for camber /caster changes. The last alignment I did was just to stock. So I know I want to change it. then when I get home I can change it back for my cruising around. I have a Hunter alignment machine. I do my own.
Years ago (Early 90s) I set up alignment on Foxs that ran at the local NASCAR track in mini stock. None had CC plates. We just made the slots longer and got the top of the strut where we wanted it. Because of that, I really have never quite got the point of the CC plates. I always got strut cars where I wanted them to be by a few mods like grinding the hole in the strut tower. Like I said. Never saw an issue. but DAMN they sure look cool. I will still get them but until then. I'll be doing it the old way.

1988 GT
2006 V6 S197
post #26 of 29 Old 09-07-2015, 06:20 PM

All depends. I'd say a good beginner starting point is at least -2* camber, as much caster as you can get, and a little toe out. Better is -2.5*. I used to run -3.75*. Toe kills tires faster than camber for me, and I only drove the car to events.
post #27 of 29 Old 09-07-2015, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, aurdraco

1988 GT
2006 V6 S197
post #28 of 29 Old 09-20-2015, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Well I did not make it to this event. I just ran out of time to get everything that I needed to do to the car so that it would be where I know I would pass tech. Plus had some issues with my daily driver that needed to get taken care of today. But it turned out that this was a good move. This morning I drove my GT to the autoparts store to get some things to do the job on my 06 S197. And my heater core let go. After doing a very heavy flushing and cleaning of my coolant system over the past week. I figured that it would have let go on my on the way or worse.
Well I just did the old by pass trick after seeing on You Tube that you have to take out most of the interior to change that core out. It's Phoenix Az. I do not need a heater.
So Plan B. October 11 for the next event.

1988 GT
2006 V6 S197
post #29 of 29 Old 09-20-2015, 10:32 PM

That sucks. Yeah, yanking the heater stuff out is a bit of a pain. I have a stripped car and I did it earlier this year. Yanking the dash is a bit of a pain, to put it mildly. Some weight savings to be had though, so worth it if you have the time, tools, and inclination (and don't need the heater. I live in Boston but I don't drive the car except to auto-x it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement