Anyone tried using the rear aluminum arms off a Lincoln? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-12-2015, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (24)
Anyone tried using the rear aluminum arms off a Lincoln?

This is something out of an old MMFF magazine.

Ford built a special Mustang with a V10, and other special mods.

One mod was moving the whole front suspension forward about three inches.

IIRC, they used an aluminum upper arm from a Lincoln to make the lower arm for that car.

Anyone remember that car, and how they did that. Also, Tony Stewart test drove the car, again IIRC.

Here is a link to the car, but I didn't see where the article mentioned the front suspension.

Ford Mustang Boss 350 V-10 - Exclusive Road Test - Motor Trend

Last edited by mtrain2000; 08-12-2015 at 07:19 PM. Reason: forgot to add the link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-13-2015, 02:13 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
FR500 Mustang. The front axle was moved forward 5".

https://www.google.com/search?q=fr50...ng+suspensionb

Notice the proper use of triangulation in the k-member? Other companies should pay attention to this.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #3 of 5 Old 08-13-2015, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Good job on the search Jack.

You know looking at those pictures, and having moved my own front suspension forward around 4" I might be able to pull off what they did in that picture, in the link.

A couple of questions though, what did they use for lower arms, and spindle?

Also, which Lincoln, and what year did they get for that upper arm? It would be great to have a double wishbone front setup.

In having said that, I currently have the MM lower A arms, for which they are using an A lower arm so, and I won't hold you to it, but do you think I could make the MM lower arm work with that setup?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-13-2015, 08:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
The UCA was from a Lincoln LS rear suspension. I don't remember the year.

The k-member and FCA was fabricated out of steel.

The spindle was from a 1996 Mustang with a ball joint adapter.

I'm sure you could make an MM FCA work. Ed Hunter did on his Fox Mustang SLA. Search CC for it.

Unless you are prepared to do a lot of research, learn a lot, buy software, make very accurate measurements, I would not try to build an SLA. There are too many ways to make it worse than an established strut suspension.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #5 of 5 Old 08-14-2015, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jack. I have built some front ends using various models first, and I do have some front suspension software that I bought a few years ago, which has been helpful.

The one thing I won't tackle is building a lower arm as the weight of the car is on it, hence the welds have to be done correct as in tig welded, for which I don't own a tig........yet.

I agree, unless you can build a mock up to see what is going on, and make adjustments, you can really get in trouble. Some of the things you think will work when thinking about it, don't work on the models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement