LCA on lowered sn95 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-26-2015, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
LCA on lowered sn95

I have a 97 with a MM torque arm and PHB. I recently centered the rear axle when I realized I never bothered to do after installing the T/A which brought me to this point. I used the upper holes on the front Kmember which I think lowers the car about 2". I set the height of the front so that the control arms are fairly level or horizontal to the ground. When I then level the car front to rear I realize that the rear LCA's are no longer very level and that makes sense because the front is lowered. I don't see any available LCA relocation kit out there anywhere except for 05+ cars. So I'm wondering if maybe it's not so important to have LCA's that are level on SN95's but then why is the relocation kit necessary for the 05+ models?
Opinions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-26-2015, 02:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Do not center the rear axle. This will bind up the rear suspension. With the car at ride height, loosen the lock nuts on the PHB rod. Rotate the PHB rod one way, then the other until you find the rotational location where is spins easily. Once you do, the rear axle assembly is now in the correct lateral location to minimize binding. Now tighten the lock nuts.

The pivot holes that the FCAs are mounted in, in the k-member have nothing to do with the ride height. They only affect the front suspension geometry. The height of the front lower spring perch determines the front ride height.

The S197 chassis has a terrible RLCA angle in the side view even at stock ride height. This makes relocation brackets critical on these cars. Fox/SN95 cars don't have this problem, depending on what you are using them for. For a drag race application, they could use relocation brackets. Or if they are run at a very low ride height.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #3 of 10 Old 07-26-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply but you sort of lost me. The instructions when using a T/A suggest laterally locating based on the LCA front suspension bolt. So this suggestion you're providing is a little new to me. I may have had the rear setup all wrong from the start years ago.
So I would jack up the rear, and let it hang or maybe support it at ride height?
Then loosen the PHB until it tends to spin on the threads easily? And that's it, I'm done?
Or are you suggesting support the T/A and axle at ride height and rotate each wheel or axle end and adjust the PHB so both sides rotate similarly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-26-2015, 05:08 PM

In your first post you said "I recently centered the rear axle..." Exactly how did you do this?

Jack Hidley
post #5 of 10 Old 07-27-2015, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

I tried to use the PHB instruction manual with some excerpts shown below

MM Panhard Bar, 1979-98 Mustang (MMPBA)

67. When installing a Torque-arm, it is more accurate to center the axle to the suspension pick-up points. Wrap a plumb bob line around the rear lower control arm chassis mounting bolt. This bolt can be accessed through the hole in the torque box just in front of the rear tire.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-27-2015, 06:29 PM

While steps 67 and 68 are done in the PHB installation, the TA crossmember bolts must be loose so they nose of the TA can move side to side. Once the PHB length is adjusted, then the TA crossmember bolts can be tightened. Step 34, 35 in the TA installation instructions.

Jack Hidley
post #7 of 10 Old 07-27-2015, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

When you write crossmember bolts you are referring to the U-bolts holding the T/A to the axle aren't you? I suppose you could also be referring to the 2 - 5 1/2" bolts that hold the crossmember to the axle housing but I thinking probably not.

There's not much play with the u-bolts and the axle tubes but it makes sense to loosen them when adjusting the PHB.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-28-2015, 07:26 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
The crossmember bolts are the bolts that bolt the crossmember to the tabs that should be welded onto your subframe connectors. The crossmember is the piece with the tube into which the front bushing of the TA is inserted.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-29-2015, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks that makes sense now because those tabs are slotted and therefore some movement is possible.

It's just that the instructions for step 34,35 were indicating the long bolts from the cross member to the differential
"Step 34, 35 in the TA installation instructions"
post #10 of 10 Old 07-29-2015, 01:25 PM

Sorry. I meant to type steps 35 and 36.

Jack Hidley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement