Ford Mustang Forums banner

13" cobra brakes swap to rear end

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  norcalsvt 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am looking at putting some '00 R brakes up front on a 99 Cobra. Is it possible to take the existing 13" setup from the front and put it on the rear? If it is possible, is there an easy way to do it, or am I going to need to fab up a bunch of stuff to get it to work?

Thanks for any help. I posted here because if anyone knows brakes, its you guys.

#3 ·
Why would you want to screw up your front to rear balance that badly? Car will be a nightmare due to too much rear brake torque. You need about a 70/30 brake front to rear ratio to keep from locking up the rear and causing a spin.

If you were to use a similar sized caliper on the front and rear, the total piston area of the rear calipers would need to be much smaller than what is used on the front to maintain a safe brake bias ratio.

There is some good info in this post from a true expert: http://forums.corral.net/forums/15837417-post81.html

Jay

#4 ·
Whoops, I was thinking for whatever reason that Cobra R brakes used a 14" rotor. I got them mixed up I guess. Well lets say I put on a stoptech kit or some other 14" kit up front.. the question still stands. can you adapt the front calipers to the rear?

#5 ·
You would have to fab everything up yourself.

#7 ·
I have StopTech ST40s with 14" rotors. StopTech designed this set-up to work with the 38mm Varga single piston rear Cobra caliper and the 11.65" rotor. As a result, the F/R torque bias is about 69.9% to the front. What do you think would happen if I put the 38mm two-piston Cobra calipers with 13" rotors on the back?

Hint: bad things.

#8 ·
A friend of mine installed 4 pot Brembo calipers and a Brembo parking brake on the rear end of a 2001 Cobra

Cobra R calipers are too small to work with large rear calipers but the Brembo F40 calipers will and Brembo has them available as a bolt on kit for 94-04 mustangs along with a new larger than stock two piece front rotor.

Be prepared to spend a ton of money. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.