Tire clearance with MM Phb/Ta on 99-04? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 06-18-2015, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (30)
Tire clearance with MM Phb/Ta on 99-04?

I am considering doing a mm phb/ta setup on my daily driver new edge. I recently found a thread discussing an issue that arose on Fox bodies that did a torque arm. The problem was that apparently the inside of the rear tires are able to scrub against the inner fender because of the revised geometry and loss of suspension bind allowing the body to roll onto the tires in a curve. It seems that folks needed to run skinny rear tires to allow clearance.

My concern is that on my 2000 I want to keep my 315/10.5 wheels absolutely. I know it's generally preached that a square tire arrangement with 275s is better on a race track but I won't be willing to do that and I won't be doing any racing, just on/off ramps etc. Anyone know if it would scrub? Plan is also to run mild coilovers at around 300ish front not anything crazy stiff. Just want to move away from the stone age without buying a newer car. I'm open to an IRS but now they are getting really difficult to find (Had one for awhile but sold it doh).

87 FoxRod, 00 Towbra, 06 Tree-Fiddy Much Duty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-18-2015, 07:46 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
It's not quite the same, but my Tri-Link with 315s on 10.5s required wheel spacers, I wanna say 1/2". Otherwise the wheels would rub on the tub. Have since gone back to 275s on 9s at all 4 corners, no troubles even without spacers. If you run spacers on the rear you may want extended lugs.

post #3 of 3 Old 06-18-2015, 04:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
The trick is to use adiquate rear springs due to the loss of the bind - losing bind is a good thing by the way. Depending on your back spacing there should be plenty of inside clearance on the new edge cars with the wheel/tire package you want to use. I put 17x9s on my 01 Cobra and there is plenty of inside clearance (it has an IRS which has a similar issue. My 86 with the T/A runs 17x8s with a +30 offset with 255s. I run a .5" spacer which is a lot less axle length than the new edge cars and have no inside rubbing (well the exhaust may hit once in a while but it simply moves over).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement