Bottoming out with B springs - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-16-2015, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
Bottoming out with B springs

Last night I was following a friend in my SN95 and managed to snag the K member on the pavement after one of those roller coaster style dips country roads like to have

I'm on B springs with bilstein struts, did this happen because the spring rate is on the low side or is it just a freak occurence?

I've never had anything like that happen in my cars before. I wanted to lower the car another half inch with MM front coilover kit and new rear springs, but now I'm not so sure

I feel the spring rate won't help if I take away ground clearance at the same time

I'd rather not have this happen again, and I'd really hate to have it happen more often

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-16-2015, 03:26 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Those springs are the practically the same rate as stock, but a lot shorter. If you want to lower it even more, you're going to need a lot more wheel rate, which shouldn't be a problem. The wheel rate on those B's is around 260 lbs. A 350# coilover would probably do the trick and not rattle your kidneys.

post #3 of 5 Old 06-16-2015, 06:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Country roads up here have such a huge crown in the center of the lanes I need to literally drive down the center line to avoid scraping the k-member/TA and I'm only about an inch lower than stock at 26".If I hit a dip on these roads there's no doubt I'd be in the pickers.

I guess what I'm saying is are you sure it's not road conditions instead of a suspension issue?

Like MFE stated,If you are planning on going lower(unadvised)then an increase in spring rate is needed.IMO,Before I increased to say a 350# coilover front spring on a driven street car I would raise the ride height to solve the issue.
Before switching to 250# up front(have 225# ready to be swapped in) I had 275# coilovers and the ride was almost unbearable,but the wagon trails up here in town suck and I'm getting to be an old fart.

2 owner '86 Med.Canyon Red Met.(original paint) T-top,5 speed,3.55 rear,MAF conversion(A9L).MM adj. RLCAs,T/A and Panhard Bar,spring rate:375#-440#,MM C/C plates,STB,4pt KMB,FLSFC's,'03 Cobra rack-n-pinion w/ Saginaw pump conversion.Bilstein MM coilover conversion and A-arms,spring rate:250#.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-16-2015, 08:39 PM

How old are those Bils? I once started bottoming out at a certain track but it was because I was using some bull#### struts that were worn out. I bought new Bils and it never happened again.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-16-2015, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I mean the big drop is what got it that low but it might be because of a low spot left/right too.

I didn't realize they were that close to stock spring rate, I bought them to keep the car fairly comfortable

Also I bought these front struts the same time I got the springs, about eight months ago. Rear bilsteins are older

I want to get forward offset front coilovers, just still debating going lower. I know it'll ride better only lowered 1 inch, but it would look really good that extra half inch lower

I mostly came here to see if this is just part of the territory and it sounds like it is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement