Modified stock K-member - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 06-07-2015, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (15)
Modified stock K-member

I have an old modified factory K-member as per the mustang performance handbook by William Mathis. It was built by a now defunct company from Texas I was told. Would it be worthwhile to install this in my 91 coupe? I am not going to race this car and I don't want to spend the money to go coil over. It will be mostly street driven with possibly an open track day once or twice a year. I have H&R race springs with Bilstein struts and also 04 cobra front control arms and steering rack. I am doing a 5 lug swap so most of the front end will be taken apart already. What are your thoughts and opinions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-08-2015, 01:25 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
I wonder which company that was, I used to live in Texas.

Re: worthwhile, all depends on if you want to give it a shot. Dropping the k-member is supposedly not that hard, it's the plumb bobbing and lining it back up that's the pain.

post #3 of 21 Old 06-08-2015, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

I think it was called slot car mustangs. I will try to find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 06-08-2015, 09:19 AM

Oh, those guys. Yeah, Mathis worked with them on setup. They auto-xed with us in the 90s.
post #5 of 21 Old 06-08-2015, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Where they reputable and how well did there cars do ?
post #6 of 21 Old 06-08-2015, 11:55 AM

Eh, hard to explain, it's been 20 years and I was in college. I'd say they didn't really have a shop, they were some guys trying to make a name for themselves to break into the saleen/steeda type of market. Lots of hype, mostly. They had one car that I can recall, their Slot Car. Used to bring it up to Texas A&M Sports Car Club events. We had TONS of foxbodies in the 90s due to there being lots of used Texas Dept. Public Safety highway patrol cars auctioned off. As a result, we had the fastest group of foxbody drivers in the country (many of whom have gone on to win jackets or set track lap records). Anyhow, I don't recall the Slot Car being any faster than a decent ESP car, certainly not a 3rd gen or Madarash. They had my buddy Todd Farris, CP champ, drive it and I think he told them, "Eh, it's a mustang. Needs more spring, bar, tire, and shocks."

They were some of the first to run 16x8s, lol at knowing now these are tiny wheels. They also claimed their input helped Ford design the SN95 suspension...um, not much changed there as far as I can tell.

Mathis is legit but there is some debate regarding antidive, etc. If you really want to study up, go search corner carvers for threads mentioning Mathis.
post #7 of 21 Old 06-08-2015, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for that information. I will study up on it more. Let me ask you one thing, if it was your car, would you bother doing it or just leave the stock one in and add all the other parts I have?
post #8 of 21 Old 06-08-2015, 12:43 PM

I am debating doing Mathis's changes now to my sorta CP car since a new tubular MM k-member would incur a ridiculous weight penalty. If it is just a non- competition car with minimal HPDE, I'd probably skip it.
post #9 of 21 Old 06-10-2015, 03:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
If I'd been running the stock k for a while so that a change could be detected, I might give it a try. Without a baseline, seems to be a lot of work for maybes or uniqueness.
post #10 of 21 Old 06-11-2015, 12:16 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I did this on my CP autocross Fox and I can tell you it definitely helps front end grip.

Fox CP autocross video

'87 Fox C-Prepared Mustang
2013, 2015 Pacific NW Regional Champ
Car has trophied at 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 SCCA Nationals
Zero scrub SLA front end
post #11 of 21 Old 06-11-2015, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Fox5.0 View Post
I did this on my CP autocross Fox and I can tell you it definitely helps front end grip.

Fox CP autocross video
Thank you for the reply. Seeing as how I already have all the parts, I might as well do it and find out the results for myself.
post #12 of 21 Old 06-11-2015, 05:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Do the swap.
Nearly 20 years ago I did the mods to a K member per the Mathis book. I installed it in a '93 Cobra that I road raced. It was well worth the work.
Since you only have to swap K members you swap will be easy.
Before you go to far you should check the center-to-center distance of the LCA bolt holes on both the modified K and your stock K. If these holes are moved inboard you will lose camber and wheel track width if you use your stock LCAs.
You may need to go with longer LCAs like the 87-88 TBird arms or the SN95 LCAs.
When I did this swap I first went with the TBird LCAs but later built my own tubular LCAs and converted to coil over springs.

"Drag racing is for those people who don't know how to down shift and brake at the same time. "
DD '12 VW Jetta TDI, Race car '87 ITA 16V Scriocco
Cars owned: '86 Mustang GT, '92 Mustang LX, '93 Mustang Cobra "R" #58
post #13 of 21 Old 06-11-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Jim. I appreciate advice from someone who has first hand experience. I have lower control arms from an 04 cobra. They have the higher durometer rated bushings. I have a new set of Del-a-lum bushings as well. Would you use them or stick with the rubber ones?
post #14 of 21 Old 06-11-2015, 10:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
On a car that will be mostly street driven I would stay with the stock bushings.
If you went with aftermarket bushing the only thing you would notice driving it on the street is the increase ride harshness & noise they transmit to the body.

"Drag racing is for those people who don't know how to down shift and brake at the same time. "
DD '12 VW Jetta TDI, Race car '87 ITA 16V Scriocco
Cars owned: '86 Mustang GT, '92 Mustang LX, '93 Mustang Cobra "R" #58
post #15 of 21 Old 06-12-2015, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Ok. I will leave the rubber ones in and keep the Del-a-lum ones on the shelf just in case I get involved in tracking the car.
post #16 of 21 Old 06-16-2015, 11:04 AM

A lot of work to swap crossmembers? I spent so much time doing the Mathis mods to mine, removal and installation was nothing. I didn't change antidive from stock, like Mathis recommends, due to what the internet said. Can you see the original holes? I think Mathis moved one up 3/4", and the other 1/8". It was definitely an improvement and a requirement. All the other Mustangs we go against have done it.
post #17 of 21 Old 06-16-2015, 04:20 PM

How long did it take to do the actual mods? I was under the impression it was measure twice, drill once. Guess I need to re-review that section of his book.
post #18 of 21 Old 06-16-2015, 11:03 PM

Took me about 20 hours of labor, alone no help, first time doing this, spread out over a couple weekends.

Measuring once, twice, three times and more. Drilling. Cutting, fitting. . . fitting again. . . and again, then finally welding. Lastly, painting.

I'm sure it could be done much faster but I was really taking my time making sure it came out square.

I raised the control arm mount points 2 inches and did not change the factory anti-dive.

Griggs makes a modified stock K-member if you have $1200 to shell out.

'87 Fox C-Prepared Mustang
2013, 2015 Pacific NW Regional Champ
Car has trophied at 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 SCCA Nationals
Zero scrub SLA front end
post #19 of 21 Old 06-18-2015, 10:25 PM

I ran into interference problems with the factory FCAs (SN95 w/ ginormous rear bushings) when I did a k-member for my car. I could have windowed the k-member at the offending locations but decided to wallet fangle a set of MM FCAs instead.

There was a poster here with the screen name "Toys" that had a thread with some info on doing Mathis mods to a Fox k-member. It might be one place to look...
post #20 of 21 Old 06-28-2015, 09:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Target View Post
There was a poster here with the screen name "Toys" that had a thread with some info on doing Mathis mods to a Fox k-member. It might be one place to look...
I'm still here....just not much to post about lately. This is the thread that has the most info on the work I did.
https://forums.corral.net/forums/road...rms-86-lx.html

Toys - gota have'm.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike Schneider

1982 Mustang GT - 408w and other super zoomy stuff...
Tracks driven: Mid-Ohio, Grattan, Putnam Park, Gingerman, Autobahn Country Club, Waterford Hills, Ford Proving Grounds, and Bondurant.
post #21 of 21 Old 06-29-2015, 02:44 AM

Hi Mike, I just have nothing I want to post about.

Man, 2006? That's scary how long ago that thread was started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement