Ford Mustang Forums banner

Relocating LCA mounting points

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Jim Brozynski 
#1 ·
Is the only reason to move the LCA pivot point inboard to reduce the negative camber gained from using a longer LCA? I'm running the SN95 LCA, which is 1" longer than the original '87 LCA. I only got -1.3° and -1.6° camber with the struts moved all the way inboard. I want -2°. Stock LCA is 13", T-Bird is 13.75", and ours is 14". The William Mathis Mustang Performance 2 book has me move the front mount up 1/4" and the rear 3/4". That's good, and makes sense, but it wants the points moved in 1/4" with the Thunderbird LCA, which would move the lower ball joint out 1/2" from stock. Ours is 1" further out from stock, and we don't have enough negative camber. I think I'll just move the pivot points up. Is there anything I'm overlooking?

#3 ·
How much, then? 1/4" or 3/4"? In an earlier chapter, he mentions one can have too much anti-dive. The resistance to diving locks up the front end, and throws you into instant understeer. Hotchkis has a kit to reduce the stock anti-dive on A, B, and E body Mopars. So on a Fox Mustang, the stock anti-dive is just right? We have to run 200 or higher treadwear tires, and our front springs will be 650#, so leaving it as is won't be that bad. I will raise them, though. That's a lot of work to do and get wrong.

#5 ·
My tuner fox body came with anti squat brackets that lower the rear LCA's mounting point about 1-1/4".. also came with 1200lbs front springs and 300lbs rears and a panhard bar.. the car still handles great after 22 years.. people tell me all the time i should ditch the anti squat brackets but i dont see all the negatives that seem to be associated with them..

#6 ·
FWIW, I ran my 86 with the longer sn95 a-arms, but the 86 k-member has the pickups .5" perside inboard than the later v8 Fox chassis ks. As a result, I saw at least -3* max camber and regularly ran -1.7* on the street. It still had 1.5" wider front track than the stock Fox chassis. Now, I have an MM K which moved pick-ups up 1" and 2" from the stock position, left anti-dive alone, tweeked Ackermann and moved the wheels forward .75". With stock length arms (by the way, the sn95 arms are 1.25" longer than Fox chassis arms) and 96+ spindles, I lost about 1" of front track.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Having modified an '89 K member to the specs Mathis put in his book I have to agree that you should not add any antidive to the front suspension. What is there stock is fine. Move the LCA mounts in board or out board as needed to get you required camber.

I would relocate the motor mounts and K member to body mounts per the book. When I did I moved 3% of the cars weight from the front to the rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.