Which front sway bar to compliment IRS swap? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-12-2011, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
The real white95!

Trader Feedback: (12)
Garage
Which front sway bar to compliment IRS swap?

I have a 1995 GT and I'm swapping in an IRS from a 2003 Cobra. Im curious if its best to swap in the Cobra's front sway bar as well? I mainly use my GT to cruise twisty back roads but will also use it for HPDE events. I hope this wasn't a very dumb question, I couldn't find a suspension-specific sub-forum; so I had to post amongst the wolves lol

If more information is needed, lmk.

...and yes, I plan on a full compliment of FTBR products. Please no polyurethane vs delrin axe grinding here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by somanycorners; 12-12-2011 at 01:32 PM. Reason: streamlined my blabbering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-12-2011, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
The real white95!

Garage
I dug around a bit and found this in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93twotonegt View Post
Also, I suggest getting a larger front swaybar for your car if you install the IRS. My car was stupidly prone to snap oversteer without it. I installed an eibach front bar after I spun the car on the dragon and at an autox (that was messy). The car became immensely more balanced with a bigger front bar. Higher springrates in the front would do the same thing if you don't feel like swapping bars, but you didn't mention anything about that, so I'm assuming you've got a stock front end.

They were specifically talking about fox bodies but that should still be the case in my situation? After all, sn95's are just foxes with facelifts and implants!!

I kid, I kid! I have the front sway bar from a '95 Cobra which is slightly smaller than the 95 GT specific bar. Argh, should I just worry about something else?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by somanycorners; 12-12-2011 at 02:48 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-12-2011, 03:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Yup, that's my post on my 93 that I just sold. My car was pretty scary without the larger front bar, however, I did learn about a month ago that my IRS was reassembled with the arms preloaded downwards, so that added to the wheelrate; amplifying the affect of the swaybar.

Not sure how an SN95 would react to irs swap with stock suspension up front. Honestly, the easiest thing to do is to go drive it hard at an autox or in empty parking lot and find out. If it's acceptable to you, leave it be, if not, swap it.

1993 Mustang GT - Sloppy Horse - SOLD

1994 Mustang GT - Dedicated Racear - Full MM catalog with 03 Cobra IRS - Codename: Rigid horse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-12-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
The real white95!

Garage
Thanks, I think a buddy has a few different sway bars lying around. Ill try to set up some back to back tests (with a better driver than me) & I'll be sure to post results when the time comes, should make for an interesting thread.

Any clue how I can avoid preloading the arms downward when I r&r the bushings?

post #5 of 12 Old 12-12-2011, 03:27 PM

With delrin, you don't have to worry about preloading the bushings, only with stock rubber bushings. The delrin bushing in the arm shouldn't have any clamping load applied to it. The stock rubber bushings have shells on them that contact the mounting tabs. The rubber is vulcanized to every part of the shell, so when you tighten them down, the arms need to be at the ride height position to make the preloading as minimal as possible.

1993 Mustang GT - Sloppy Horse - SOLD

1994 Mustang GT - Dedicated Racear - Full MM catalog with 03 Cobra IRS - Codename: Rigid horse
post #6 of 12 Old 12-12-2011, 03:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93twotonegt View Post
Not sure how an SN95 would react to irs swap with stock suspension up front.
The stock front bar on the SN95 is larger than the Foxes, not sure of the specific data. In any case, I did the IRS swap with a nearly stock front suspension. Slightly higher rate springs and a bumpsteer kit I think were the only mods. Yes, the steady state balance of the car went more towards oversteer according to skidpad testing. But, the overall grip was markedly better, and I wouldn't describe any of the behavior at speed as "snappy."

edit- I just noticed the car is a 95, someone else will have to comment but I believe that stock bar is smaller than my 2000.

2000 Mustang GT, MPH Vortech Mongoose, 03 Cobra IRS, Griggs in front, MM in the back.

Last edited by Bluepony00; 12-12-2011 at 03:55 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-12-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
The real white95!

Garage
Thanks for the input guys!

post #8 of 12 Old 12-13-2011, 12:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Just put this on my 99 but no IRS tech to give you.
ROUSH front Sway bar (w/bushings) for a 94-04 Mustang | eBay

This thing is a 35mm SOLID bar. Weighs 21 lbs. One of hte best mods I've done though.

99 Mustang GT - Auto-x/track car, 96 Townsend Chassis Late Model Stockcar (sold), 03 F150 - Daily Driver
http://www.youtube.com/user/sandyman099/videos
post #9 of 12 Old 12-14-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
The real white95!

Garage
Thanks for the input. First and foremost, I need to locate a cradle for my IRS. Mine has a bent front mounting "arm".

post #10 of 12 Old 10-07-2013, 12:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (51)
any suggestions?

post #11 of 12 Old 10-07-2013, 05:51 PM

I used the stiffer front Steeda HD bar on my fox, with IRS, to dial out the oversteer.

'03 Cobra-529rwhp, '95R #201, '90 GT w/ IRS, 2015 Focus ST, 2012 GT track car
post #12 of 12 Old 10-10-2013, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
The real white95!

Garage
Man, I started this thread back in 2011. Damn, time flies! I have a few more FTR items to purchase before I install the IRS. Also, I upgraded the front suspension with Koni DA struts, Griggs control arms (delrin bushings) and 350# coil overs.

Last edited by somanycorners; 10-10-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement