How to mount aluminum race seat with sliders?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 11-26-2011, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
How to mount aluminum race seat with sliders??

I tried searching the web but had no luck finding any answers on my question:

Is it possible to mount an aluminum race seat (Kirkey or Ultrashield) using the stock mustang seat bracket/slider? I want to be able to move my seat forward/backward because it is still a street car and other people sometimes drive the car. I am also not a fabricator (no welder) so I can't easily fab some custom mounts.

Being that aluminum seats can either be side or bottom mounted (matter of just drilling some holes), would it be possible to attach a stock manual seat bracket/slider to the bottom of the seat?

My idea is to just align the stock bracket/slider to the bottom of the seat, drill holes in the seat that will allow me to bolt the seat to the bracket/slider, and then mount that directly to the floor. Although I'm not too concerned about height, my idea was to save cost on buying aftermarket sliders (ie: Sparco), a mustang-specific mounting bracket (ie: Sparco, corbeau, etc), and aluminum side mounts.

If anyone has done this before, please chime in and let me know how you did it! I'm getting ready to order an Ultrashield Rally Sport seat but want to make sure I can easily mount it into the car before taking the dive.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-27-2011, 12:13 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I don't think you'd need anything special. I had some aftermarket sliders that were already in the car when I bought it but I think the stock ones are very similar. I did exactly what you descibed, drilled holes in the bottom of the seat to match the existing mounting holes in the sliders, used a large washer on either side to distibute some of the load. I ended up needing to shim the seat up a bit and used some square tubing and flat iron from Home Depot to do that (did need to weld but it took 10 seconds, had a guy I know at a dealer's body shop do it) but it was only necessary to clear the down tube for my roll bar from the shoulder braces on the seat.

The other thing to remember on aluminum seats, they say you are supposed to also mount the rear of the seat to a roll bar/cage with a back brace. I bought an adjustable one from IO Port.

Do some searching over on Corner Carvers, there's a large thread on the subject. In the end I didn't use anything from that thread because my situation was unique.

Last edited by MJ91GT; 11-27-2011 at 12:25 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-27-2011, 06:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
I mounted my Ultrashields to my stock sliders. The sliders are actually longer than the bottoms of the flat part of the seat bottoms because those seats have a 2-3" channel at the front (you'll see what I mean if you get the seats). As a result, I had to fab up a 90* bracket to cover the gap. The bracket, which is just some sort of contruction angle aluminum thing from Home Depot, iirc, bolts to the side of the seat and then I bolt the top front of the sliders to it under the seat. At the rear, I have to shim between the seat and slider to get the right angle (iirc, these rear holes actually ended up being in the angled butt area of the seat).

Long answer short, it's doable, but a small pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-28-2011, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Thanks for the info guys! I just placed my order for an Ultrashield Rally Sport seat so I'll be digging into this "installation project" soon. I'm pretty short so I'm not even sure if mounting the stock slider/bracket straight to the seat would be high enough for me. I may need to get side mounts and then try to attach the stock slider to that. This way, I can have some kind of adjustability with the seat height.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement