sn95 update/backdate question - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 11-23-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
sn95 update/backdate question

This might be the wrong place to ask, but this is a autox rules question. I have a question about the update/backdate rule for sn95 mustangs. I have been asking around and searching online for weeks, but can't find a answer. My question is, can you use GT40x aluminum heads on 95 cobra? I have read everywhere that you can use the gt40x heads on a 351 cobra r spec motor, because the gt40 iron heads and gt40y heads are out of production years ago. I tried calling the local ford dealership for answers. I asked the man on tje phone about my gt40 iron heads and of course he told me they stop production on the heads. I asked him about a replacement head for the cobra irons. The man suggested the frpp gt40x heads. I asked the man if the part number for the gt40 iron was the gt40x. He told me no. So I asked again what cylinder head is the replacement head for the 95 cobra if the irons ar e no longer in production. The man replied back, gt40x. Now im confused.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-24-2011, 02:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobil95 View Post
This might be the wrong place to ask, but this is a autox rules question. I have a question about the update/backdate rule for sn95 mustangs. I have been asking around and searching online for weeks, but can't find a answer. My question is, can you use GT40x aluminum heads on 95 cobra? I have read everywhere that you can use the gt40x heads on a 351 cobra r spec motor, because the gt40 iron heads and gt40y heads are out of production years ago. I tried calling the local ford dealership for answers. I asked the man on tje phone about my gt40 iron heads and of course he told me they stop production on the heads. I asked him about a replacement head for the cobra irons. The man suggested the frpp gt40x heads. I asked the man if the part number for the gt40 iron was the gt40x. He told me no. So I asked again what cylinder head is the replacement head for the 95 cobra if the irons ar e no longer in production. The man replied back, gt40x. Now im confused.
You should pose your question to the SCCA SEB (Solo Events Board). Get an answer straight from the horse's mouth:

SEB Letter Submission Form

My sense is that as long as the substitute is deemed reasonably equivalent to the original part which is no longer made, it should be OK, but changing from irons to aluminum might be questionable. In short I don't know.

'87 Fox C-Prepared Mustang
2013, 2015 Pacific NW Regional Champ
Car has trophied at 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 SCCA Nationals
Zero scrub SLA front end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement