Steering Wheel Suggestions - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Steering Wheel Suggestions

I'm thinking about swapping my stock steering wheel from my 98 cobra to a race wheel. I want something a bit thicker with more grip. What steering wheels are you guys running or suggest? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 07:54 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
i like my momo wheel that MM caries.

1988 Notch...2.5T
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5 lug cobra brakes, full MM CO, MM PH, MM TA, MM FLSFC, SN95 A-Arms.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesillynotch View Post
i like my momo wheel that MM caries.
Do you know which model it is? I can't seem to find any steering wheels on MM's website. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 07:41 PM

momo monte carlo

1988 Notch...2.5T
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5 lug cobra brakes, full MM CO, MM PH, MM TA, MM FLSFC, SN95 A-Arms.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 08:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Do you care about retaining cruise control or the horn?

I've got an OMP Targa (350mm) in my car now, using a MOMO hub adapter and Sparco quick release; I will probably be switching to a Sparco 383 wheel in a few months as the grip is a little thicker and the wheel feels a little more solid.

96 GT / 4R70W to 3650 swap, some metal tubing, Recaro'd, and slightly Griggs'd.
Thanks to my sponsor Performance Autosport!
post #6 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 10:12 PM

I have a momo monte carlo with hub like new for sale. If you are interested pm me.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 11:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I like my suede OMP 3-spoke:

Team Site:
Video's: http://dvanz.com/doug-vandenbrink-video-gallery/
Instagram & Twitter @DougVanDenBrink
Team Store: http://dvanzstore.bigcartel.com
post #8 of 19 Old 11-14-2011, 01:48 PM

Another for the Momo Monte Carlo. Cruise control is out the window (unless you mount some switches on the wheel yourself) but the horn can be made to work. I didn't like the big new hole left in the column area when the old wheel was gone so I used an HVAC cap, hole sawed out a hole for the steering shaft to come through, then mounted the horn contacts on the cap so that they contacted the back of the Momo adapter and allowed the horn to work. Painted it black and it has worked pretty well.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-14-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ91GT View Post
Another for the Momo Monte Carlo. Cruise control is out the window (unless you mount some switches on the wheel yourself) but the horn can be made to work. I didn't like the big new hole left in the column area when the old wheel was gone so I used an HVAC cap, hole sawed out a hole for the steering shaft to come through, then mounted the horn contacts on the cap so that they contacted the back of the Momo adapter and allowed the horn to work. Painted it black and it has worked pretty well.
Can you post pics? I'm pretty sure I'm going to be getting a Momo Monte Carlo wheel and I want to see what my options are for making it "clean." I'd also like for the horn to be functional, so if you have tips on how to make that work please share
post #10 of 19 Old 11-14-2011, 06:11 PM

For some reason, I cannot post pics in the road racing/auto x section, I've asked several times why and no one will give me an answer as to why or flip the switch to allow it.

Even if I could post pics, you can't see much with the wheel on there. I can probably PM you a pic of everything installed if your interested, let me know.

Essentially when I went to install the wheel on the car, I found that the old wheel's base was around 5 inches in diameter, the Momo hub was like 4 1/2". This left a gap in the column trim viewed from the top that was very visible and not very pleasing to the eye. Additionally, because the plastic housing that holds the switch contacts for cruise and horn had to be removed to install the wheel hub adapter, there was no way to use the horn.

My dad is an HVAC contractor so I went over to his shop and planned to use a piece of sheet metal to cover the hole. I was rooting around in his warehouse and found these ductwork caps of varying diameters.

They are a mushroom looking kind of deal, an open shaft, closed at one end by a flanged end that's at a wider diameter. The flanged end on mine is about 5 1/2 inches. I think the shaft diameter is around 5 inches but I can't get to it to measure, essentially when the wheel is removed, there is a gap in the plastic column trim around the steering shaft. When you get to that point, just measure the diameter and go to Home Depot or the like and find a cap that is close in diameter at the shaft end, because the cap is flanged and wider at the flange, even if your cap shaft diameter is a bit smaller, the flange will cover the difference when you view it.

I got the cap home and found that the shaft of the cap was too long and left the piece sticking too far out of the column, I used some sheet metal sheers to cut the shaft shorter so that the closed (flanged) end could make contact with the to the metal bracket on the steering column that once held the plastic bracket that housed the horn and cc switch contacts to the column. I used a hole saw and cut a hole in the cap a bit wider than the steering shaft diameter. I then made a template and marked the location of the mounting screws for that plastic bracket and then drilled holes in my cap to mount the cap to the column. It was at this point that I realized, I could simply make a hole in the cap and mount the switch contacts to the cap to make the horn work. I carefully cut a square hole for the switch contacts to go through, then drilled a small hole for the mounting screw for the contacts to bolt to the cap. I was able to bolt the switch contacts directly to the cap and when I installed the Momo hub (which has contacts on it for the horn) they made good contact and I had full use of the horn.

Hopefully that helps, if you get in there to look, it will probably make sense. Again, mine is a Fox car and yours an SN95 so some things might be slightly different, you'll have to kind of make it up as you go like I did if stuff varies.

post #11 of 19 Old 11-15-2011, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for thr write-up! Sounds like a lot of work, although im sure it was easier than it sounds. can you pm me some pics. Thanks!
post #12 of 19 Old 11-15-2011, 11:33 PM

Well, either I'm an idiot or there's no way to add attachements to a PM, so I put a few up on photobucket (one old one from when I first installed the wheel, the two darker ones, I ran out and took with my phone just now), here's the link:

Pictures by mj91gt - Photobucket

The write up is as descriptive as I can be, it's been several years since I made the cover, it was not that difficult at all, took less than an hour if I remember correctly. The one thing I'd do differently is paint it a flatter black and paint the screw heads, but honestly you barely see them.

Last edited by MJ91GT; 11-15-2011 at 11:35 PM.
post #13 of 19 Old 11-16-2011, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Looks great man, thanks for the pics! Is your wheel suede? The Monte Carlo I'm getting is leather. Not sure which would be better as far as grip and feel, but that's what was offered to me sk I'm going to jump on it. Thanks again!
post #14 of 19 Old 11-16-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydewaysix View Post
Looks great man, thanks for the pics! Is your wheel suede? The Monte Carlo I'm getting is leather. Not sure which would be better as far as grip and feel, but that's what was offered to me sk I'm going to jump on it. Thanks again!
No problem, hope it's some help, like I said, I literally decided to do something about the hole and had the thing solved in a few hours with the work only taking a small amount of time.

Yeah, mine is suede. I'm sure leather is just as good, especially if your not in an open top car in the rain.
post #15 of 19 Old 11-16-2011, 01:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (15)
I use the Longacre 15" wheel. rubberized grip. I think it's used mainly on oval track cars.

Made an adapter using the fitting on a factory 1998 mustang found at the scrap yard.

particularly non-stock 99 Cobra w/brand C motor...
post #16 of 19 Old 11-17-2011, 01:29 AM

The black plastic lid off of a folgers coffe can is almost the perfect color and size to seal off the gap between the momo hub and collum trim. Easy, cheap and looks good.
post #17 of 19 Old 11-17-2011, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4IDFOX View Post
The black plastic lid off of a folgers coffe can is almost the perfect color and size to seal off the gap between the momo hub and collum trim. Easy, cheap and looks good.
Thanks for the tip, Troy! I got your text with the address and I'll be sending the money by friday
post #18 of 19 Old 11-20-2011, 02:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
i also use a suede Momo Monte Carlo wheel attached to a sparco quick release hub and its great... saved a bunch of cash on the wheel by buying used and with the quick release hub, it actually moved the wheel back closer to me.

1993 Mustang GT
Maximum Motorsports, Brembo, Recaro, Etc.
post #19 of 19 Old 11-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (44)
LOVE my Grant Corsa D. Grant Products 1030 - Grant Corsa Collection Steering Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

03 Whippled E85 Cobra Vert & 00 ZX12R
4r70w swap in progress 9-1-14

Sponsored Links
Advertisement