what's wrong with using a sumped drag race cell for road racing application? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-01-2011, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (9)
what's wrong with using a sumped drag race cell for road racing application?

I'm about to cut the spare tire well and build a cage for a 20 gallon Jeg's aluminum fuel cell. These cells aren't baffled nor do they contain foam-is this a concern for a car that will see some track duty and the occasional hillclimb? what concerns are there if any?

91 notch, 3000#, Astro T-5, Dart 10.5:1 331, RPM2, AFR 185, custom cam, Max Motorsports, StopTech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-01-2011, 07:33 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
I have a 15 gallon one and i added the foam to it myself. I have not noticed any issues, BUT i never run my car below 1/4 tank.

91 convert single turbo open track car
post #3 of 7 Old 11-01-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

sorry for the newb question but how did you add the foam?

91 notch, 3000#, Astro T-5, Dart 10.5:1 331, RPM2, AFR 185, custom cam, Max Motorsports, StopTech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-01-2011, 08:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I have an ATL FIA certified fuel cell in my SCCA racecar and it isn't baffled. It does have two pickups and has cell foam in it. The only racing cells that I have seen with baffles are the ones designed for EFI applications that use in- cell pumps.

You should be able to stuff fuel cell foam through the fuel fill. The potential issue might be getting back out to replace it. Fuel cell foam eventually starts to fall appart and has to be replaced. Which is kind of hard to do through a small hole.

The issue that I would see with running a drag race cell is that they aren't spec'd by any sanctioning body for road course work. Also they offer none of the crash protection that a deformable cell in a can has.

If you are looking for a cheap solution, use a quality circle track fuel cell in a steel can. They aren't rated to be as good as an ATL/Fuel Safe cell but they would be better than an aluminum tank.

85 Mustang GT
83 RX7 Super Touring U #17
SCCA Club Racer
post #5 of 7 Old 11-01-2011, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

I bought a baffled Behind Bars 18 gallon cell with a real nice magnaflow in-tank pump but it interferes with my panhard bar so I'd like to switch directions and either buy a decent universal cell and fit a cage around it or have one custom made. Either way, it needs to be approved for track use and work in a road course environment behind around a 550 hp injected engine.

Any ideas?

post #6 of 7 Old 11-01-2011, 10:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Racing Safety Fuel Cell Bladder Tanks

I have a 12 gallon Saver Cell in an aluminum can in my RX7. We were able to easily fit a 15 Gallon ATL cell in the back of an A Sedan Fox mustang that had a panhard bar. There are a number of options for plumbing the cell for you EFI application - give them a call.

85 Mustang GT
83 RX7 Super Touring U #17
SCCA Club Racer
post #7 of 7 Old 11-02-2011, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Catalog

really interested in the max-sport fuel cell at the bottom of the page. I'm going to inquire about it tomorrow.

Something tells me I will have a mini heart attack when I hear the price.

Last edited by redb*tch; 11-02-2011 at 01:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement