255 RS3s or 265 Star Specs?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-24-2011, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
255 RS3s or 265 Star Specs??

So here is the situation. Looking for a great tire and narrowed it down to these two. The only issue I can see is that the RS3s are only 255s (17 inch wheel). I feel like this is not wide enough.

Star Specs 265- 10.7" tire width
RS3s 255 - 10.2" tire width

Do you think this is enough to harness 350-375 rwhp? Thoughts?

95 Mustang GTS- Road Course ready...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-25-2011, 12:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Hey there-

Need a bit more info... What is the car going to be used for? How wide are the wheels? Are they going to be driven on the street regularly?

The RS3's aren't great when cold. Living up where you are, I'd suspect you could only really get them good and sticky 3-4 months a year. The Star specs are far less temp sensitive, and better in the wet. If these are on a street car, Star Specs all the way.

Don't get too concerned with 10mm. I suspect you're mounting on a 17x9 wheel? Any tire wider than 9" isn't going to be able to fully utilize the extra width anyways, and it will create a lot more heat fade on the track. Track tires stuffed on narrower wheels don't have to worry about this as much, because they can deal with the heat a lot better.

I'd worry more about getting one that keeps the overall diameter closest to the gearing you need for the track. Smaller diameter means lower top speed but better acceleration. Good for smaller tracks, can be a pain in the butt on the big ones.

2008 Bullitt - On Deck for Track Duty

1997 Cobra - SOLD
post #3 of 6 Old 10-25-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I will be buying wheels with the tires. probably 9 inch depending on the tire size.

Car will be street driven and will see quite a bit of autocross and track days next season.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-26-2011, 02:15 AM
rob

Trader Feedback: (23)
Having had both, I think the kook's wear faster and have slightly better hook.

The star specs are an incredible tire and have good wear, but cost more.

Money not being an issue I prefer the star specs for a multi purpose street car.

1982 Ford Fairmont Futura H/C/I, fuel injected and turbocharged [email protected]
post #5 of 6 Old 10-26-2011, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

money is not too big of an issue here considering the prices are not all that different.

definitely looking like the star specs.

post #6 of 6 Old 10-26-2011, 04:52 PM
rob

Trader Feedback: (23)
Over $200 difference between a set considering tire rack charges shipping and discount tire will come close to matching the tr's price on the kooks and have free shipping.

To be honest, when I went with the kooks they were the faster tire on the track and ac in the grm review price difference was too much for me to ignore. I wasnt driving the kooks on the street so I was ok with their quicker wear.

Since I go to the track and ac for fun and not looking for every last tenth my next set will probably be azenis to take adv of dtd's free shipping.

Btw used a set of 245/45/17 star specs on my 5.0 LTD for a Chumpcar race a few weeks ago. Raced for over 1400 miles at Nelson ledges over 25 hours and other than one tire having increased inner tire wear I could use them for my next race which is 14 hours. I plan on bringing two new ones as spares though.

1982 Ford Fairmont Futura H/C/I, fuel injected and turbocharged [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement