longer front coil overs - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
longer front coil overs

I just went to 5 lug on my fox and the threaded sleves for the coil over are barely long enough with the adjusting nut all the way to the top to get the same ride height as before. I cant run a longer spring as i need the clearance for the tire. Is there a longer threaded sleve? BTW these are Griggs coil over kit with the short (10" i think) spring on Koni Yellows.

91 convert single turbo open track car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-21-2011, 07:32 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
You could try the longer spring, then just dial out some negative camber at the spindle to damper mount and then gain back the negative camber at the camber plate.

post #3 of 14 Old 10-21-2011, 03:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
Add spacers under the CC plate? Spacers on the hub?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-22-2011, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

qtracer, If i add spacers below the cc plate it will make the car lower. What i need to do is flip the plate so the tall part is pointing down.

2k2gt, I lost camber already with the conversion. I need to add more by slotting the strut so no way the longer spring will work.

post #5 of 14 Old 10-22-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevrnf View Post
qtracer, If i add spacers below the cc plate it will make the car lower. What i need to do is flip the plate so the tall part is pointing down.
I'm looking at my MM C/O for Bilsteins and see that if I put more spacers under the CC plate, the whole strut/CO/spindle component would move down effectively raising the ride height of the car with no other changes. Also, I'd lose some bump travel on the strut if I adjusted the srping height to lower the car back to the original ride height. YMMV
post #6 of 14 Old 10-22-2011, 10:54 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
I'm looking at my MM C/O for Bilsteins and see that if I put more spacers under the CC plate, the whole strut/CO/spindle component would move down effectively raising the ride height of the car with no other changes. Also, I'd lose some bump travel on the strut if I adjusted the srping height to lower the car back to the original ride height. YMMV
Might be a terminology thing. Seems to me that if you add spacers under the plate, you're moving the whole spring package's upper point of location higher, which would lower the car. If you add spacers under the bearing, you're lowering the spring package's upper location, raising the car.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-22-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
Might be a terminology thing. Seems to me that if you add spacers under the plate, you're moving the whole spring package's upper point of location higher, which would lower the car. If you add spacers under the bearing, you're lowering the spring package's upper location, raising the car.
Sloppy terminology on my part. I wasn't thinking disconnect the CC plate; only disconnecting the strut, adding spacers "under the CC plate" and reinstalling the strut. Should have said add spacers between the top of the strut and bottom of the CC plate bearing.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-22-2011, 05:18 PM

I like the spacer idea....if you can keep enough threads poking through the C/C plate bearing for enough thread engagement.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-23-2011, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

I cant add any spacers to the shaft. It has only 1 thread sticking out past the nut now. Is it possible to stack the threaded collars on the strut? I have an old pair from Griggs that ars for the long springs. I could cut a 2" piece out of them to put below the ones on the carso the threads go all the way to the top of the strut body..

post #10 of 14 Old 10-23-2011, 08:52 AM

Just brainstorming now...

You could possibly call MM and ask if they'll sell one of their "base collars" they use in the Bilstein coil over kits. It's like a two piece collar that clamps on the spring to give the coil over a flat/uniform base.

The shiny gold(probably pure gold)pieces in this photo:
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=279

Kinda weird that they use that piece for the Bilstein kit, but use the notched threaded sleeve(like all the other "lesser brands" have used forever).

Last edited by 2k2GT; 10-23-2011 at 08:55 AM.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-23-2011, 11:52 PM

This is what I did on my bilstiens. Took a piece of 2" schedule 80 pipe and ground it out till it fit over the strut housing and then set the maximum motorsports stuff on top of it. All the rest of the reinforcement there was to fix bent mounting tabs
post #12 of 14 Old 10-24-2011, 08:57 PM

Coleman Racing make coil-over spacers.

1997 Pacific Green Cobra
100+ HPDE track days
Full MM setup
13.484 / 103.575 / 1.959
post #13 of 14 Old 10-24-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

I think you got the right idea.
Coleman coil over spacers

post #14 of 14 Old 10-25-2011, 03:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Here are my coils/struts pre-installed (center photo of article):

After install:

Yeah, close to maxed-out, but not quite.

Darius Rudis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement