Rear suspension options with 3" exhaust? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-15-2011, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (13)
Rear suspension options with 3" exhaust?

After some searching and reading the consensus seems to be that if you want/require a 3" exhaust and want a panhard bar and torque arm more than likely the exhaust will need to be dumped before the axle or converted to a side exit.
I've got a single 3.5" exhaust that X's into 2 3" pipes right at the tailshaft of the transmission. (Viper T56) This exhaust arrangement is for a T76 turbo. I called MM and asked them about my suspension options and was told they had no idea what would fit based on the degree of modification.
I thought I would reach out to the people here to see what people with turbos have done for rear suspension. I would really like to keep the full exhaust to keep the car quiet.
Does anybody here have significant suspension modifications with a turbo exhaust and/or a T56? If so, what did you do and do you have any pictures? (I've read that the torque arm will fit fine with a T56)
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-17-2011, 08:31 AM
CSG

Trader Feedback: (18)
Fays2 watts link fits with flowmaster 3" tails. Then you need to find a TA or 3-link to work with the fays2. I use an EVM but they are no longer in business.

post #3 of 5 Old 10-17-2011, 03:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Take it to an exhaust shop and have them fab something up. It'll cost more but I'm sure they can make it happen. I took my car to an off-road truck shop and they made an X, moved the cats and tucked it up really nice. I too have a T-56 but from the Cobra. I'm not running 3" pipes, but they made it fit really nice. No more scraping.

1993 GT 310rwhp / 351rwtq
AFR FTI EDEL Combo. MM, T-56 3.73, Brembo, 275s on 03 Cobras all around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-17-2011, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (13)
Thanks for the advice guys. My fabrication shop is only worried about the amount of room these parts take. I've got two external fuel pumps, fuel lines, y block, etc all running around the area of the rear suspension. I found a picture of the MM panhard bard and torque arm. The panhard bar wont fit under any circumstance, the torque arm has a chance. I was hoping that somebody had done it. The only other turbo car I found with all of these parts ran a single exhaust. I'd just prefer to keep the duals and two mufflers, it's already loud enough.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-20-2011, 02:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Why not just run UNDER the axle? Get the parts installed (I'd do the Steeda 5 link, but that's just me), and lift the car so the rear is at full droop, and have the fab shop mock it up from there! I've seen this done on a few race cars that couldn't take the cabin noise from dumps.

2008 Bullitt - On Deck for Track Duty

1997 Cobra - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement