Sprayed on track - somethign broke in the rear suspension... cannot figure out what - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-11-2011, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
Sprayed on track - somethign broke in the rear suspension... cannot figure out what

Greetings all. So yesterday I took my stock 5.0 with gears, exhaust, and Kenny Brown weld in subframes to the track. Tried launching on a about an 80 shot and something broke on the 1-2 shift. Felt like the whole car was like twisting or something. Caused me steering problems going down the track. Back end felt like it was swinging all over. I put my car on a lift and inspected the links for the lower control arms(MM weight jackers, just installed last week) and everything looked good. Uppers are still stockers with high millage but the fasteners on everything looked like they were all in the right place. Torque boxes seem OK. A small gap/seam on the bottom edge both of them in the same place but I think it might be factory. Car has a tko500 with poly mount. Motor mounts were bad as well, went to install poly's but I was sent to passenger side mounts. Installed that one and put the torn up stocker back in place on the drivers side, car did not have this issue prior to yesterday though and have had smoked motor mounts all year. Installing the one good motor mount did not seem to affect the situation at all though.

Anyone have any ideas wtf I did to my car? Whenever I get into torque the whole back end of the car likes swings sideways as it loads up. I'm at a total loss on this.

Any input appreciated, thanks Corral!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-11-2011, 03:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Is this a drag car or an autocross/road race car? "Launching on an 80 shot" makes it sound like a drag car.

I don't frequent the drag racing forum so I don't know. You posted this in the Road Racing/Auto-X forum.

Autosports Northwest
RGL Motorsports #129
1981 Coupe - Under Construction = C Prepared build
post #3 of 12 Old 10-11-2011, 03:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes87GT View Post
Greetings all. So yesterday I took my stock 5.0 with gears, exhaust, and Kenny Brown weld in subframes to the track. Tried launching on a about an 80 shot and something broke on the 1-2 shift. Felt like the whole car was like twisting or something. Caused me steering problems going down the track. Back end felt like it was swinging all over. I put my car on a lift and inspected the links for the lower control arms(MM weight jackers, just installed last week) and everything looked good. Uppers are still stockers with high millage but the fasteners on everything looked like they were all in the right place. Torque boxes seem OK. A small gap/seam on the bottom edge both of them in the same place but I think it might be factory. Car has a tko500 with poly mount. Motor mounts were bad as well, went to install poly's but I was sent to passenger side mounts. Installed that one and put the torn up stocker back in place on the drivers side, car did not have this issue prior to yesterday though and have had smoked motor mounts all year. Installing the one good motor mount did not seem to affect the situation at all though.

Anyone have any ideas wtf I did to my car? Whenever I get into torque the whole back end of the car likes swings sideways as it loads up. I'm at a total loss on this.

Any input appreciated, thanks Corral!
Possibly more help in the drag racing section, but my first thought is maybe torque boxes. Look for cracks/tears in the uppers and lowers.

Other than that, you might have a separated bushing somewhere (far less likely).

1993 Mustang GT - Sloppy Horse - SOLD

1994 Mustang GT - Dedicated Racear - Full MM catalog with 03 Cobra IRS - Codename: Rigid horse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-12-2011, 08:14 AM
CSG

Trader Feedback: (18)
Do the lower arms have bushings? If so that could be your culprit as they are not designed to handle launches like that.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-12-2011, 08:42 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I would look at UCA bushings.

2003 Azure mach1 5 speed with IUP
Maximum Motorsports R&T Box with Torque Arm
2012 Candy Red Metalic Premium Brembo GT w/373
HPDE Instructor
post #6 of 12 Old 11-17-2011, 02:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
How old are the bushings?Id replace them if there more then 10 years old...Btw im in waukesha WI lmk if you need any help.

Last edited by five5y; 11-17-2011 at 02:48 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-20-2011, 11:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
twist the bolts on bolth side. it may havebroke inside the bushing.

have fun, blow it up, and take pictures.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-26-2011, 10:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Upper torque boxes torn?
post #9 of 12 Old 06-09-2013, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Update, it did end up being the torque boxes. A buddy welded them up for me and it corrected the issue.

91GT 5spd- exhaust, coilovers, rims, Vortech SCi.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-10-2013, 10:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Good to hear. I know a lot of us have had a hard time sleeping for the past 18 months because we had never gotten closure from this thread.

I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight!

post #11 of 12 Old 06-10-2013, 12:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
Good to hear. I know a lot of us have had a hard time sleeping for the past 18 months because we had never gotten closure from this thread.

I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight!
post #12 of 12 Old 06-29-2013, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Hahaha, good one.

My reply was more for anyone searching on a similar issue.

91GT 5spd- exhaust, coilovers, rims, Vortech SCi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement