03-04 Cobra Coiloevrs in a 82 FOX - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-09-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
03-04 Cobra Coiloevrs in a 82 FOX

I saw some 03-04 Cobra Bilstein struts converted to coilovers on ebay but wanted to check that they will fit my application before I proceed any further. I've bought 94-95 spindles for the Cobra brake conversion already so that area is slightly updated. I've got an 82 Capri RS they will be going in. The rear shocks were for sale too. Anybody know the major difference between the Cobra rears and SLA rears. Are they shorted or do they have different ways of bolting on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-10-2011, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Does anybody know the answer to this or do I have to ask Maximum Motorsports?

post #3 of 8 Old 10-11-2011, 12:06 AM

Trader Feedback: (57)
fronts should work no problem, but you need cc plates. rears are different for irs.

1993 DOHC Project "Jessica" 2007 Shelby GT500
1968 351w Coupe "Athalia" 1969 Fastback 408w
2013 Focus "STacy"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-11-2011, 12:07 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I'm not sure if the rear shocks are any different length-wise, but I can almost guarantee that they are differently valved. There's a huge difference between the damping required for a 200lb iron girder and 60lbs of aluminum control arms and spindle. That alone will more than likely eliminate any possibility of using them.

1993 Mustang GT - Sloppy Horse - SOLD

1994 Mustang GT - Dedicated Racear - Full MM catalog with 03 Cobra IRS - Codename: Rigid horse
post #5 of 8 Old 10-11-2011, 01:44 AM

Rears are different. IRS shocks are different from live axle shocks. The front will fit if you install your new spindles. Post 2 could have been avoided had you searched or called MM. Since this is an ebay item, I would have called MM and gotten an answer and then decide whether or not to purchase the item before someone else does. Then again I'm from CA and probably retarded.

Axle weight won't matter. Unless the car is on it's roof. Better get a rollbar too

1993 GT 310rwhp / 351rwtq
AFR FTI EDEL Combo. MM, T-56 3.73, Brembo, 275s on 03 Cobras all around
post #6 of 8 Old 10-11-2011, 06:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I don't have any hard data. I do have these very struts installed on my 86 with CC plates and 96+ spindles. While I haven't driven on them, it appears that I have enough adjustment with the height of the CC plates and spacer bushings for the strut, to put the strut in an ideal position.

Neal
-86 coupe project sitting in my garage on a 5 lug conversion.. and the motor is in.. and it runs
-newspeak SUCKS
post #7 of 8 Old 10-11-2011, 06:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
I have MM's C/O for Bilsteins on my 86, with 94/95 spindles, 04 Mach 1 a-arms, MM CC plates and STB, MM bumpsteer kit and 96 Cobra 17x8s running 245/45/17s. The C/Os clear the wheels because (i) I'm using a 10" spring and (ii) I've moved the track out 1.25" per-side wider than the stock 86 (2.5" wider). As you may have read, the 86 and earlier k-members locate the a-arm pickups .5" per-side inboard of the later v8 cars (1" narrower front track). When this narrower k-member/stock a-arm is combinded with the sn95 spindle, you lose negative camber (top of the tire tilts outboard). Sometiimes, you can just correct this negative camber problem with CC plates alone to achieve a stock spec alignmment setting (CC plate is a minimum requirement) but you will probably not get a perforamance alignment setting. In my case, I had to go with the longer sn95 a-arms. Now because of the longer arms, the angle of the strut is just enough to clear the wheels (tower is in the same place; spindle strut mount is moved out which increases strut angle and negative camber). Depending on your wheel choice, you may have clearance problems if you retain the stock k-member and a-arms with your Bilstein C/O; you will have excessive positive camber.

As for the Cobra rear shocks, I also have an 01 Cobra. It's not the weight of the components; it's the elimination of bind. Similar to installing a T/A on a stick axle, there is very little bind in the IRS comperable to the converging 4-link of the standard Mustang. Hince, you need higher spring rates for the IRS (like the T/A) which requires a different damping rate to control them. The IRS shocks are not suitable for a stick axle even with a T/A; certainly not with a stock 4-link (I wish since I have IRS shocks).
post #8 of 8 Old 10-13-2011, 05:16 PM

IRS rear springs will make your SRA ride like crap. My friend did that and it was a harsh-bouncy ride. He finally took them out.. much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement