Please help identify this k-member/A-arm setup - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old 10-09-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Please help identify this k-member/A-arm setup

Sorry in advance for the bad pictures...its all i was able to get.

Can anyone help me identify this K-member and A-arm setup? There are also coilovers (silver in color) but I couldn't see a brand or markings on them.

This is on a 99/01 Cobra. The paint/powder coating looks like the Grigg's finish (gray and textured), but the design of the A-arms look more like Maximum Motorsports Could this be a cheap knock-off like AJE, D&D, etc??? If anyone has any input please let me know! thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 10-09-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydewaysix View Post

Can anyone help me identify this K-member and A-arm setup?
K member looks like some kind of MM clone. The gussets and tubes are positioned just like an MM unit, but the quality of the welds are definitely not MM.

I'm guessing maybe Granatelli??

'87 Fox C-Prepared Mustang
2013, 2015 Pacific NW Regional Champ
Car has trophied at 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 SCCA Nationals
Zero scrub SLA front end
post #3 of 47 Old 10-09-2011, 09:07 PM

Garage
kinda looks like an old Kenny Brown k member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 10-09-2011, 11:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Garage
Looks like one of Granatelli's Platinum series K-member and a-arms.

'90 GT, 331ci, AFR 185's, S-Trim, Cobra brakes, Torsen T-2R, Koni's, Fays2 watts, MM goodies, K-member, Torque-arm, control arms, coil-overs, 18x10" wheels.
My Fox GT Build-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CAM-C www.sbrscca.org
post #5 of 47 Old 10-09-2011, 11:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
GMS platinum series K. Hands down. The thick welds, the color, and the bracing that is extremely similar to MM gives it away.
post #6 of 47 Old 10-10-2011, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Assuming it is a GMS kit, are they any good??
post #7 of 47 Old 10-10-2011, 02:04 AM

Honestly it depends on who you talk to. A lot of people wont put a GMS part on their cars let alone a K member due to some rear lower control arm failures a long time ago.
post #8 of 47 Old 10-10-2011, 08:55 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Holy ****, what happened to that right side tie rod?
post #9 of 47 Old 10-10-2011, 08:59 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Also looks like someone towed your car by the passengers side inner tie rod.

1979 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car
Modified Mustangs Aug 2006 Feature Car
post #10 of 47 Old 10-10-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
I was thinking the same thing. That's a good 30* bend there.

Autosports Northwest
RGL Motorsports #129
1981 Coupe - Under Construction = C Prepared build
post #11 of 47 Old 10-10-2011, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

It's actually not my car. I was thinking about buying the K and control arms if I could find out the brand. It being a GMS kit, I'm not going to buy it.

The car did havesomee front end damage and the tie rod is bent badly. It looks like the rest of the parts are fine, but it doesn't really matter now that I'm not buying the parts. Thanks for the help guys!!
post #12 of 47 Old 10-10-2011, 11:16 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav129 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. That's a good 30* bend there.
Good eye guys, I saw that too

Ian,
Stay away from that stuff. Looking at the damage (bent tierod, broken swaybar link) that car has sustained, there's no telling what other hidden gremlins (read bends, cracks, etc.) might be in there.

Justin
FYI: Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left!
SOLD - 91LX Couper track bitch

Last edited by straightliner1; 10-10-2011 at 11:19 AM.
post #13 of 47 Old 10-10-2011, 11:00 PM

Hmmm. I expected Granatelli himself to jump in on this one. Havent seen him stiring the pot on the forums lately.
post #14 of 47 Old 10-11-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Bumpsteer delete kit

1993 GT 310rwhp / 351rwtq
AFR FTI EDEL Combo. MM, T-56 3.73, Brembo, 275s on 03 Cobras all around
post #15 of 47 Old 10-11-2011, 07:39 AM

bwahahahahahaha
post #16 of 47 Old 10-15-2011, 02:34 AM

If that tie rod took a hit that was bad enough to bend it then those welds as sloppy as they are held up pretty darn well. Honestly I would expect to see some additional damage on the A-arm but there seems to be none. I guess thats props to GMS in a way.
post #17 of 47 Old 10-19-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside03gt View Post
If that tie rod took a hit that was bad enough to bend it then those welds as sloppy as they are held up pretty darn well. Honestly I would expect to see some additional damage on the A-arm but there seems to be none. I guess thats props to GMS in a way.
I agree. I've had a similar situation where I broke a wheel lip off, bent a tie rod, bent the upper shaft of an MM Bilstein damper and taco'd a C/C plate.

The GMS K-member was perfectly fine, not even a torn bushing or messed up balljoint. Replaced the damper, C/C plate and tie rod and it drove straight down the road with camber/caster still correct.

I think there is a thread about all that somewhere on here.
post #18 of 47 Old 10-20-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT View Post
I agree. I've had a similar situation where I broke a wheel lip off, bent a tie rod, bent the upper shaft of an MM Bilstein damper and taco'd a C/C plate.

The GMS K-member was perfectly fine, not even a torn bushing or messed up balljoint. Replaced the damper, C/C plate and tie rod and it drove straight down the road with camber/caster still correct.

I think there is a thread about all that somewhere on here.
I have actually gone through your entire thread at least 3 times. I agree that the GMS K-member seems to be strong.

However I cant seem to get past the fact that it seems like GMS copied MM. The bracing, the main loop, the angle of the LCA tabs all seem exactly like MM. Granted it is more then possible for two companys to come up with the exact same geometry but for them to both come up with the same bracing and location of gussets is a little far fetched. I also dont like the thin inner LCA mount tabs. I have also read the quotes from Jack H saying that the GMS K is a VERY good copy of MM's K.

I also would like to see GMS provide a little more info on their durability testing and design process but they are either un-willing to or do not know because they may have not designed it.

When the time comes I'll make my decision but GMS is only being considered due to price point and the fact that there seems to be a handfull of auto x and open track guys doing well with them. The platinum series does seem to have nicer welds then the regular K too. However I know that price point is rarely a good basis for suspenion product choice.

Last edited by darkside03gt; 10-20-2011 at 01:07 AM.
post #19 of 47 Old 10-20-2011, 01:16 AM

Quote:
I have actually gone through your entire thread at least 3 times. I agree that the GMS K-member seems to be strong.

However I cant seem to get past the fact that it seems like GMS copied MM. The bracing, the main loop, the angle of the LCA tabs all seem exactly like MM. Granted it is more then possible for two companys to come up with the exact same geometry but for them to both come up with the same bracing and location of gussets is a little far fetched. I also dont like the thin inner LCA mount tabs. I have also read the quotes from Jack H saying that the GMS K is a VERY good copy of MM's K.

I also would like to see GMS provide a little more info on their durability testing and design process but they are either un-willing to or do not know because they may have not designed it.

When the time comes I'll make my decision but GMS is only being considered due to price point and the fact that there seems to be a handfull of auto x and open track guys doing well with them. The platinum series does seem to have nicer welds then the regular K too. However I know that price point is rarely a good basis for suspenion product choice.
Lol oh my

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

1993 GT 310rwhp / 351rwtq
AFR FTI EDEL Combo. MM, T-56 3.73, Brembo, 275s on 03 Cobras all around
post #20 of 47 Old 10-20-2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanger_Matt View Post
Lol oh my

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
What is so funny?

I guess Iam missing something here.
post #21 of 47 Old 10-20-2011, 03:10 AM

Quote:
What is so funny?

I guess Iam missing something here.
Just the potential for a whole new flame-fest.

Sent from my Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop using my Keyboard
post #22 of 47 Old 11-17-2011, 09:43 PM

Here we go.
post #23 of 47 Old 11-18-2011, 04:49 PM

I owned a Granatelli K Member and A arms years ago on my 95 GT. Installed in the driveway of a friend. Since JR donated it to me for testing, we hammered the crap out of it. It worked fine for several years.

The unit did end up dying, the tabs and gussets rusted out. This was after well over 100 autocross runs and God knows how many miles. JR was honest and up front with me, and Fish, Highlander, JGayle, John Gross and others hammered it at autocrosses from Houston, to Austin, at The Texas A&M SCC and at PCA and BMW CC events.

I went over to the darkside (2 Corvettes, a 96 and a 08) after replacing the unit with a MM and sold the car. My friend Chuck still owns it. The MM unit has lasted since 2003, the GMS unit lasted about 3 years or so.

If you are buying by price point, then do so knowing you will eventually have to replace it. You get what you pay for. Since JR GAVE me the unit, I had nothing to bitch about.

I give props to JR - he's a pretty decent fellow that I talked to over the years.

And if you are wondering why a Vette guy is on a Mustang board, I used to be the RRAX Moderator on here for a number of years.

LLAP

Oh, and guys - don't bitch too much about the price of parts for Mustangs. The Corvette tax is un-freaking-believable. I spent damn near 1600 bucks for shocks, used Z06 springs and swaybars. And that's me installing everything. You can get coil overs and Koni's and whatever sway bars you want for less than that.

Murphy's Laws of Combat
6. Your weapon was built by the lowest bidder

Last edited by KBoltz; 11-18-2011 at 04:54 PM.
post #24 of 47 Old 11-18-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBoltz View Post
You can get coil overs and Koni's and whatever sway bars you want for less than that.
But even then, it still won't beat a stock C5 vette. [/begin hi-jacking NEW THREAD rant]
post #25 of 47 Old 11-18-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT View Post
But even then, it still won't beat a stock C5 vette. [/begin hi-jacking NEW THREAD rant]
Or a stock C6 - especially if the driver knows WTF he/she is doing.

But remember, Mustangs are in a different price point. And quite honestly, I miss the hell out of my old 95GT.

There are days I miss my 96 C4 - it FELT like a sports car, rattles and all. My C6 is SOOOO civilized in comparison. I was at an HPDE down in Port Isabel a number of years ago, the C6 was BONE STOCK (except I had the calipers powder coated red - if you consider that a mod), and I was lapping faster after my first couple of times around the course than a buddy's prepared Shelby GT. And when I mean BONE STOCK, I mean I was still using the stock F1 Supercar Run Craps that the car came with.

The Mustang has so much to offer people. I would own a Mustang, but I have three cars and the Sancha (the Vette) is a very well prepared and sorted out car. 50/50 weight balance, good power (LS3), wider wheels (TSW Nurburgrings with 275/40/18's up front and 305/35/18's on 18x9.5 and 18x11's) but it is not forgiving of ham-fisted driving. My wife has been able to beat me three times this year. She drives like she is wielding a scalpel, I drive like I am wielding a chainsaw. The old adage, smooth is fast, definitely applies.

Enjoy the Stangs guys. When I get relocated next year, i hope to be able to Race with the Spokane, Wa racing club.

Murphy's Laws of Combat
post #26 of 47 Old 11-18-2011, 08:30 PM
Banned

---

Last edited by J.R. Granatelli; 11-18-2011 at 08:59 PM.
post #27 of 47 Old 11-18-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Granatelli View Post
The smart thing to do is stay out of this.
Is this a thinly veiled threat of some kind? Please, elucidate.

Quote:
However
I will be polite here. I could be like the old days when Park and Provost ran roughshod over people here. Ah, the good old days of everyone with half a brain bashing on Jan Morgan?

Quote:
I wanted to thank the people for the kind words.
I believe I gave you props, actually saying you were a decent enough person. If I was being included, then you are very welcome. If not, well.....

Quote:
I just got this thread send to me yesterday and figured it was dead. I see the flames are getting fanned again.
I happened to be on here looking for an exhaust for a young friend of mine for his 2011 5.0 Mustang. I noticed the thread and saw the K-Member in question and it reminded me of the one you sent to me for testing.

Quote:
The parts KBOLTZ received are not the same as what are pictured, we actually sent him our drag race k-member to test.
I corrected the spelling of my name and of received, sorry. If you can't spell or say someones name correctly, it just seems rude. Don't you agree? So. In actuality you told me that it was for road racing/autocrossing. I can count on 1 finger how many drag racing passes I ever made. So, does this mean you lied to me then, by saying it was for rr/ax or not? I am understandably curious.

Quote:
If parts rusted out we did a bad job painting the metal not designing the part - right?
Actually, there were holes in the K-Member that looked like they were designed to drain water out. These were directly behind the tabs that held the bolts for rear of the a-arm. The paint was actually very nice. I realize that powder coating would have been the way to go, but that is a rather expensive and difficult process, when done correctly. And those costs must be passed on to the consumer. When shopping parts by price point, that tosses it into a different area.

Murphy's Laws of Combat

Last edited by KBoltz; 11-18-2011 at 09:09 PM.
post #28 of 47 Old 11-18-2011, 09:00 PM

post #29 of 47 Old 11-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Banned

You totally misread what I was saying - I was directing the comments at me - not telling you to stay out of it - You 100% read me wrong

When I said thanks for the kind words - that was directed at you and 2K2GT

Your part was powder coated black - right? We never sold K-members that were just paint like car paint. As for Drag Race, you said it yourself, the part was robust and lasted 100 events. 2K2GT claims to have to problems and nothing is rusting off.

As for spelling your name wrong or any other word - I did not intentionally spell your name wrong. As for received or recieved - I get that wrong all the time.

My point is simple - I can't win - heck I can't even break even

Hope we are cool

Last edited by J.R. Granatelli; 11-18-2011 at 09:27 PM.
post #30 of 47 Old 11-18-2011, 09:44 PM

JR,

We're cool. No sweat, Bro. Spelling and typographical errors are one of my pet peeves. Too many people rely on spell check. It's as though people have forgotten how to use correct spelling, grammar and syntax these days.

The k-member (even if it was a drag racing piece) was pretty robust. And it was NOT powder coated, but painted. I do remember that clearly. The paint was black and quite glossy, but it did not have the feel of powder coating.

I don't know if Highlander is around, but we installed the unit in his garage Eons ago.

Like I said, we (meaning a whole lot of people, including my wife) made a ton of runs on it. The mounting ears where the a-arm bolted on rusted off, due no doubt, to that drain hole.

As to the OP, call GMS and see if you can get the exact dimensions and measure the one the guy has for sale. If it is straight and corresponds to the measurements given, then double check the welds, and if all is good, offer him a price. Used parts are the life blood of anyone who races. Not many people can just go out and buy new parts all the damn time. No one who actually WORKS for a living can afford to do that.

Good luck with it. And here is what I have been tossing around the track:

Those pics are before the TSW wheels and Toyo R888's but with Z06 repros and Hoosier A6's. And the wife beat me at that event. It all went downhill after that. The only upside is after she beat me she said, in public and in front of a bunch of people, that she wants a Z06.

Anyone want to throw a bone and recommend a good exhaust for a 2011 5.0 Mustang with no drone?

Murphy's Laws of Combat

Last edited by KBoltz; 11-18-2011 at 09:50 PM.
post #31 of 47 Old 11-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBoltz View Post
JR,

Anyone want to throw a bone and recommend a good exhaust for a 2011 5.0 Mustang with no drone?
We got that too

Ford Exhaust: Granatelli Motorsports

2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 Axle Back Exhaust Kit: Granatelli Motorsports

sound file as well in link

post #32 of 47 Old 11-18-2011, 09:55 PM
Banned

Here is the Vette system.

It s picture of a picture
post #33 of 47 Old 11-19-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Granatelli View Post
We never sold K-members that were just paint like car paint.
To be technical, you didn't actually sell KBoltz the K-member.
post #34 of 47 Old 11-19-2011, 11:08 AM
Banned

post #35 of 47 Old 11-20-2011, 02:17 AM

This is the third time I have read about GMS parts rusting out from the inside. One being the K member mentioned in this thread and the other two were weight jacker RLCA's. Do you guys do anything to protect the inside of the metal used to build the components? There are tons of different CPC's out there that would be more then up to the task and last more then a few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement