upgrading brakes - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-27-2011, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
upgrading brakes

ok...wtf!?!?!?! There are perfectly good OEM calipers out there available that will more than do the job and there are even aftermarket brake manufacturers out there that have adapter brackets to fit the SN95 front spindle. BUT, it seems that none of them will sell just the bracket....they want you to buy their whole setup for double the cost to put it together yourself. SSBC is not interested in just selling me calipers...they want me to buy the whole setup....I have a feeler out to Baer for an adapter mount for C6 Corvette calipers but from what I am reading even if I can get them to sell to me they will charge so much it may not even be worth it. Oh, and btw, the Baer kit IS the C6 PBR caliper (without the "corvette" lettering on the side)

I understand wanting to make a buck but give me a break!!!!! Does anyone know of a 13" rotor solution that is a step above the stock Cobra brakes using OEM parts (even though Cobra/C5/C6 are all PBR anyway)????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-27-2011, 07:48 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Uh, the Brembos off the 2000R or the Focus SVT?

post #3 of 9 Old 09-27-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

I am aware of those and if you have a pair laying around I would be interested in taking them off your hands. The C5 calipers are on par with the Cobra R Brembos....and for only $300 at that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-27-2011, 01:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Unless you're looking for the "gee-whiz look at me" factor I'd seriously reconsider the Cobra PBR and 13" rotor set up with good pads (PF01) and cooling ducts. This package took me many years into my open-track habbit with no issues.

Toys - gota have'm.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike Schneider

1982 Mustang GT - 408w and other super zoomy stuff...
Tracks driven: Mid-Ohio, Grattan, Putnam Park, Gingerman, Autobahn Country Club, Waterford Hills, Ford Proving Grounds, and Bondurant.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-27-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

that's my fall-back but I just wanted a little more brake than the stock Cobra brakes....one place where more is usually better. The C5 and some of the SSBC 4-piston calipers seemed to be a just that right up until the people with the brackets took their toys and went home....definitely thinking about making my own brackets at this point. Maybe going with the Cobra calipers for now and picking up a set of C5 calipers and making brackets when I have time.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-27-2011, 04:55 PM

Brembo Brakes - 2005

Darius Rudis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
post #7 of 9 Old 09-27-2011, 07:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (161)
not sure if you've seen this but i recalled this corvette caliper with 13x1.25" rotors subject from before and found the thread: https://forums.corral.net/forums/road...ra-rotors.html

'90 notch w/an "old school" cartech outlaw kit

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
post #8 of 9 Old 09-28-2011, 07:43 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys10 View Post
I am aware of those and if you have a pair laying around I would be interested in taking them off your hands. The C5 calipers are on par with the Cobra R Brembos....and for only $300 at that
Yes, they're cheap. There's a reason for that--they're only a twin-pot design. Are they significantly better than the Mustang Cobra/Mach/Bullitt calipers?
post #9 of 9 Old 09-28-2011, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

from what I understand they are....and you can use a 1.25" thick rotor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement