h&r super sport springs - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 09-18-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (18)
h&r super sport springs

i installed some h&r super springs in my 86 t-top car yesterday along with some other pieces. the only issue i have so far is the front sits about an inch higher than the back. any idea fixing this? or anyone else having this problem?

also maybe trying to squeeze this question in. my bilstien strut wouldnt fit because of the older spindle. for me to use my struts i have to switch to a 87-93 gt spindle correct?

87 Notch
carbed fox on a diet in the works......someday
90 hatch
5lug small diet and a little suspension turbo 4cyl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-18-2011, 04:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (115)
The most obvious question is, did you put the right springs front and back ?
Did you use isolators on one or both ends ?
Did you tighten suspension nuts and bolts while car was in the air ?

post #3 of 21 Old 09-18-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

isolators front and back. yes correct springs were placed in. yes tightened in the air

87 Notch
90 hatch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 09-18-2011, 07:21 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasperstang308 View Post
yes tightened in the air
That's one of the problems. You need to loosen the a-arm and rear control arm fasteners, allow the car to settle - bounce it a few times, then tighten to specs with the suspension loaded - i.e., with the car's weight on it.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-18-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

The back sits like it should and the a arms weren't loosened when we put the springs in. We just took the struts off and loosened everything else up. What part of the arm should I. Loosen and then let the car settle on the spring?

87 Notch
90 hatch
post #6 of 21 Old 09-18-2011, 08:29 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
The bolts that hold the A-arms to the K-member. And make sure the swaybar endlinks aren't hung up on the A-arms.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-18-2011, 09:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Are the isolators new or re-used? I know my old ones where squished down quite a bit. Replacing with new ones raised the car up a little.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #8 of 21 Old 09-18-2011, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

They are new from upr. Also what do you mean hung on the a arm when you were talking about the endlinks? They were installed the way they came off. The endlinks are new and came with my eibach sway bars that were put on also

87 Notch
90 hatch
post #9 of 21 Old 09-21-2011, 12:03 PM

I think what MFE is saying is that you need to torque the a-arm bolts and also the end link nuts with the front suspension loaded. If you do it in the air (not loaded), the car may sit higher and ruin your a-arm bushings.

88 LX Hatchback (100K Miles), Stock Engine, B&M Shifter, SFC, ST Brace, G-Load Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Tokico Illumina Adj, MM LCA, FRPP UCA, FRPP FCA, Mac EL Headers, Dynomax Super Turbos, Mark VII front disc, TC rear disc, ROH ZR6 16x8, Fuzion ZRi 225/50R16, Corbeau Forza DS
post #10 of 21 Old 09-21-2011, 03:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
But the OP is saying he did'nt loosen up the A-Arms in the first place, so he's saying "Why do I have to tighten them if they were'nt loosened?"

Maybe that's the problem, they weren't loosened in the first place......

Autosports Northwest
RGL Motorsports #129
1981 Coupe - Under Construction = C Prepared build
post #11 of 21 Old 09-21-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav129 View Post
But the OP is saying he did'nt loosen up the A-Arms in the first place, so he's saying "Why do I have to tighten them if they were'nt loosened?"

Maybe that's the problem, they weren't loosened in the first place......
Well when asked if he tightend eveythig back up while in the air the OP said he did. That implies that he loosened stuff.

Be that as it may the stock rubber bushings on both the front and back do not freely rotate in the shells. In fact they are bonded to the shells. In addition, when they torqued to specs the serrated end of the bushing bites into the k-member, arm and/or chassis, as the case may be, preventing any rotation on that end. Thus, the rubber bushing "twists" as the suspension articulates, but "springs back" to the original, static position, which is generally ride height (these bushings also add wheel rate and in the rear can cause snap-oversteer when pushed to bind - i.e., no more twist). Now, if the OP simply took hios stock springs out and put the H&R SS springs in, which results in a 1" or more lower ride height, the a-arm bushings are currently twisted to perhaps max tollerance and are near bind. Hince, the front appears high; it probably rides like crap too. As for the rear, I speculate that the bushings are broken or otherwise able to rotate in their shells making the rear appear normal height.

The suggested solution, loosen all the arms, set to ride height with full weight on the car, retighten the fasteners, is a sound solution, given what we know of this installation.

Last edited by qtrracer; 09-21-2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: added stuff
post #12 of 21 Old 09-22-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
Well when asked if he tightend eveythig back up while in the air the OP said he did. That implies that he loosened stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasperstang308 View Post
The back sits like it should and the a arms weren't loosened when we put the springs in. We just took the struts off and loosened everything else up. What part of the arm should I. Loosen and then let the car settle on the spring?
Kind of shuts the door on that implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
Be that as it may the stock rubber bushings on both the front and back do not freely rotate in the shells. In fact they are bonded to the shells. In addition, when they torqued to specs the serrated end of the bushing bites into the k-member, arm and/or chassis, as the case may be, preventing any rotation on that end. Thus, the rubber bushing "twists" as the suspension articulates, but "springs back" to the original, static position, which is generally ride height (these bushings also add wheel rate and in the rear can cause snap-oversteer when pushed to bind - i.e., no more twist). Now, if the OP simply took hios stock springs out and put the H&R SS springs in, which results in a 1" or more lower ride height, the a-arm bushings are currently twisted to perhaps max tollerance and are near bind. Hince, the front appears high; it probably rides like crap too. As for the rear, I speculate that the bushings are broken or otherwise able to rotate in their shells making the rear appear normal height.

The suggested solution, loosen all the arms, set to ride height with full weight on the car, retighten the fasteners, is a sound solution, given what we know of this installation.
That's what I was saying. The problem is really from the fact that he didn't loosen the A-Arm bolts, and now they are bound up.

Autosports Northwest
RGL Motorsports #129
1981 Coupe - Under Construction = C Prepared build
post #13 of 21 Old 09-22-2011, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

The back of the car sits like should with the lowering springs. Its the front that is sitting higher then what I believe it should. So if I'm reading everything correctly; I need to loosen the a-arms, and endlinks sit it back on the ground then retighten it?

87 Notch
90 hatch
post #14 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 06:09 AM

The A-arm bolts weren't loosened on my car when we changed the springs. No problems after. Are the pigtails in the correct location?

1993 GT 310rwhp / 351rwtq
AFR FTI EDEL Combo. MM, T-56 3.73, Brembo, 275s on 03 Cobras all around
post #15 of 21 Old 09-23-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Kind of shuts the door on that implication
Yes, but a little after "we" were led to believe that stuff was loosened. Perhaps we should just assume incomplete answers before trying to help.

Quote:
That's what I was saying. The problem is really from the fact that he didn't loosen the A-Arm bolts, and now they are bound up.
Yes you were - and FIRST I might add.
post #16 of 21 Old 09-27-2011, 02:47 PM
USAF retired

Trader Feedback: (41)
Did you have it at ride height when you tightened the front sway bar? When I first put the SS springs in my car the rear was a little lower as well, but not an inch. I contacted H&R and told them what I wanted, they sent me new rear springs that were a little taller, problem solved.

1985 LTD LX, small truck motor, painted axle tubes, various mustang stuff.
1990 LX, junkyard explorer motor, ported explorer heads and intakes, weenie cam, 1.7s, 4.30s, stock T5 living on borrowed time. [email protected] so far
1984 LTD station wagon (Former Dugan Racing wagon) in work
post #17 of 21 Old 09-27-2011, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

David it was tightened when the car wason jackstands and the front was hanging

87 Notch
90 hatch
post #18 of 21 Old 09-28-2011, 09:12 AM

When I installed the H&R SS Springs on my '01 Cobra, the front dropped into the weeds (stock rubber isos and Bilsteins). It's actually too low; so low the K-member is about 3" off the ground. As a result, the K has hit high spots in the road such as repairs and ridge-peaks; I have to watch for debris and rocks and have to be careful of those manhole covers if they are set high. Really diffficult to see this stuff at speed especially at night. Major PITA, but I still love the look; 10 years on the car now. My point is that the front should not be high.
post #19 of 21 Old 10-08-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

just thought id update this.

i loosened the a arms today sat it on the ground and bounced it. the height still remains the same with it an 1in or so high in the front. anymore suggestions?

could it have to do anything with the stock struts?

87 Notch
90 hatch
post #20 of 21 Old 11-07-2011, 01:12 AM

Are the pigtails aligned right, covering the first hole but not the second? You could pull the isos to lower it some or if you don't want to do that you can use a cutoff wheel and cut about 1/2 a coil off the bottom of the front springs. If you cut them you might want to take less than 1/2 a coil at first as once you cut it off you can't add it back, but if it is 1" higher I don't think 1/2 a coil would be too much.

2000 GT
4R70W, J-Mod, spoiler moved back 2 3/4", smoked headlights, CDC sequential taillights, Steeda sport springs, C/C plates, alum. lca's, Bullitt front brakes, Russell stainless lines, KB Super Subs, MAC pro-chamber & cat-back, BBK CAI, Accufab 75MM TB/plenum, FMS 4.10's
post #21 of 21 Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserRed View Post
Are the pigtails aligned right, covering the first hole but not the second? You could pull the isos to lower it some or if you don't want to do that you can use a cutoff wheel and cut about 1/2 a coil off the bottom of the front springs. If you cut them you might want to take less than 1/2 a coil at first as once you cut it off you can't add it back, but if it is 1" higher I don't think 1/2 a coil would be too much.
The H&R SS springs are progressive. The "dead" coils are usually at the top. If you cut coils, it might be better at that end and then use a grinder to flatten the end of the coil (similar to the flat on the original) so that it doesn't put an odd angle on the spring once mounted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement