I don't want to spend a whole lot but I want the car to be fairly competitive.
Have to agree with 2k2GT.
You'll definitely have fun running a Fox in STX, but don't expect to be that competitive. Use it as an opportunity to learn how to autocross and improve your driving skills.
In near-stock trim (e.g. prepped to STX rules), the Fox is unfortunately an autocross slug compared to your typical STX Civics, BMW 32x's, RX-8's, WRX's, etc.
No amount of driving talent can make it competitive in STX, unless the competition is stoned, drunk, or out to lunch.
Sorry, hate to rain on your parade, but this is the stark reality.
And I LOVE the Fox, it is my favorite Mustang, it just needs a little help.
To be fast in autocross, Fox needs more HP, significant suspension modifications, and BIG race tires or slicks, all of which takes you out of STX. It could be competitive in CP, ESP, and maybe SM but then you're talking substantially more $$$$$.
FYI heres an interesting thread about how to make a SN95 competitive in ESP
. Some of these mods might
make a Fox competitive in ESP, too. YMMV.
Well, I just re-read the 2011 STX rules and they appear to have changed a lot since I last looked at them. The following are permitted:
- bigger brakes (Cobra front brakes), including rear disk conversion
- any LSD (e.g. Detroit TrueTrac or Eaton Posi but I'm not certain if a Detroit Locker would count as an "LSD"); 3.08 diff gears permitted as per 1993 Cobra R
- adjustable camber plates
- Panhard bar and Torque Arm
- 17x9 rims with tires up to 265mm wide
- substitution or removal of sway bars
- coil spring changes (e.g. stiffer, lower)
- under drive pulleys
- reprogrammed ECU (e.g. timing advance, air : fuel ratio adjustment)
- any shocks
- cold air intake
- high flow cats
- suspension bushing changes
- regarding solid axle lower arms, methods of attachment and attachment
are unrestricted (I take this to mean anti-squat can be altered - this is huge)
- AC delete, rear seat delete, 5-lug conversion as per 1993 Cobra R
- lightweight racing seats
- strut tower braces
- 70 mm MAF, 24# injectors, 1.7 pedestal rockers, 65 mm TB, GT40 heads, GT40 intake as per 1993 Cobra R
So. . . I take that back, maybe, just maybe
, with a highly skilled driver, a Fox could be competitive in STX if prepped to the maximum the rules allow
. So good luck, make us Fox owners proud!