searched and searched - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 09-10-2011, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
searched and searched

i have been doing some good reading, and have come to the conclusion i wanna run a mm or griggs k member in my car. one main thing though is that i see these units kinda force you to go to a coilover type setup. well this isnt an option for me as i like my air ride suspension on ol' girl. never an issue, like they say "if it aint broke dont fix it". by now some will say then why convert to a tubular k member, simple clearance issues. plus strengthening the front like the rear has been done. so now for my question, and hopefully it doesnt get moved... do any of you guys know of someone selling or have a mm or griggs unit sitting around for a fox that they may be wanting to sell? i can pretty much work with whatever, just gotta get it in hand. buying new isnt an option to cut up a perfectly good, new item. used i can bite the bullet and if what i wanna do doesnt work, oh well. so if anyone has a lead on one can you pm me or post up some info? id greatly appreciate it.

1990 LINCOLN MARK VII SE
OLD COMBO- STOCK 302 WITH 1500 KB ON TOP.

IN THE WORKS- D.S.S. 331, AFR 185'S(FULLY WORKED OVER), EXTRUDE HONE GT40 LOWER, 2200 KB, 75MM TB AND SPACER, 4IN AFM POWER PIPE, 80 MM MAF, FRPP 1 5/8 UNEQUAL LENGTH HEADERS, MAGNAFLOW X PIPE, MAGNAFLOW MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2 1/2 EXHAUST ALL THE BACK FROM X PIPE TO TAILS, MSD ELCTRONICS, AND AEROMOTIVE SYSTEM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-10-2011, 12:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
I usually always recommend the MAXI stuff (especially for the street), but other companies (like QA1, etc.) may have the tubular set-up with the provisions for the spring pocket etc. You may also want to post a AD in the classifieds section to find the set-up

post #3 of 22 Old 09-10-2011, 03:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Here's a write up on an installation of a QA1 K-member. The author is a member here, as he mentions "The Corral" a few times.
QA-1 K Member

According to QA1's website, spring perches were removed, so coil-overs are a must with them too....
Mustang Racing K-Member | K-Member | QA1

Sounds like all you would have to do is weld in new spring perches.... And the QA1's only run about $250 new...

Autosports Northwest
RGL Motorsports #129
1981 Coupe - Under Construction = C Prepared build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 09-10-2011, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwrath View Post
I usually always recommend the MAXI stuff (especially for the street), but other companies (like QA1, etc.) may have the tubular set-up with the provisions for the spring pocket etc. You may also want to post a AD in the classifieds section to find the set-up
yeah im dead set on either the mm or griggs stuff. from various posters here, and other site, i think those two options are where i wanna be. plus this car will be all-around event car. im going to try and hit alot of venues with it. and i did post a wtb ad before i posted this one up. just thought i may get a few more eyes going this route too.

1990 LINCOLN MARK VII SE

IN THE WORKS- D.S.S. 331, AFR 185'S(FULLY WORKED OVER), EXTRUDE HONE GT40 LOWER, 2200 KB, 75MM TB AND SPACER, 4IN AFM POWER PIPE, 80 MM MAF, FRPP 1 5/8 UNEQUAL LENGTH HEADERS, MAGNAFLOW X PIPE, MAGNAFLOW MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2 1/2 EXHAUST ALL THE BACK FROM X PIPE TO TAILS, MSD ELCTRONICS, AND AEROMOTIVE SYSTEM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 Old 09-10-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav129 View Post
Here's a write up on an installation of a QA1 K-member. The author is a member here, as he mentions "The Corral" a few times.
QA-1 K Member

According to QA1's website, spring perches were removed, so coil-overs are a must with them too....
Mustang Racing K-Member | K-Member | QA1

Sounds like all you would have to do is weld in new spring perches.... And the QA1's only run about $250 new...
appreciate the links Gustav129. in the main body of the second link it states in bold black letters not for street use. and when i do the power tour and various "distant" events, i wanna be sure i dont have to worry as much about the k memer. i know guys here use them, but piece of mind goes a long way too.

1990 LINCOLN MARK VII SE

post #6 of 22 Old 09-10-2011, 11:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I hate to say this but you can try a GMS K member. They arent the best company in the world to deal with but I would actually trust their new platinum series K on the street over a qa-1 or a upr piece. At least the GMS K is a copy of the MM K and actually has better bracing on the LCA tabs and in other areas. They can be had for cheap too. A used MM or Griggs piece will still cost you a nice chunk of change because they dont come up for sale often enough for the price to substantially drop. Last MM K I saw went for 450.
post #7 of 22 Old 09-11-2011, 10:32 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside03gt View Post
At least the GMS K is a copy of the MM K...
...a perfect reason to NOT buy from them
post #8 of 22 Old 09-11-2011, 12:00 PM

AJE makes spring perches that will bolt to ANY tubular K-member using the existing forward K-member bolts. They also manufacture tubular A-arms with spring perches in both FOX and SN95 lengths (your Lincoln is FOX). I mention this as you are wanting to stay air ride and I wanted to stay conventional spring for wheel clearance; and being your air-ride sits in the same location as my conventional springs........

"Speed doesn't kill people, stupid people who can't handle speed kill people."
post #9 of 22 Old 09-11-2011, 01:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86GT2go View Post
AJE makes spring perches that will bolt to ANY tubular K-member using the existing forward K-member bolts. They also manufacture tubular A-arms with spring perches in both FOX and SN95 lengths (your Lincoln is FOX). I mention this as you are wanting to stay air ride and I wanted to stay conventional spring for wheel clearance; and being your air-ride sits in the same location as my conventional springs........
Good info there. That means no cutting and hacking any K-Member the O decides to get.

Autosports Northwest
RGL Motorsports #129
1981 Coupe - Under Construction = C Prepared build
post #10 of 22 Old 09-11-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlanoux View Post
its funny you say that, because ive been offered some gms k members already, and when i state that there were issues, im told that it was on the older units. not the platinum series, or anything new. i just read a local thread from a guy here in houston that couldnt even get the right arms with his gms k. when the arms finally came in he had already purchased a mm k, and already had it installed.

1990 LINCOLN MARK VII SE

post #11 of 22 Old 09-11-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
definitely good info. i skimmed over the AJE site, and did see those perches, but was thinking they were strictly for their product. i will re-read it carefully. thanks again.

1990 LINCOLN MARK VII SE

post #12 of 22 Old 09-11-2011, 05:37 PM

I have a set fit to my Maximum Motorsports K-Member, and I didn't have to do any drilling/cutting/fitting to get them to work. Being that most Tube K-members use similar mounting geometry (considering that the mounting bolt holes do not change on the chassis), the perches SHOULD fit most, if not all aftermarket K-Members.

post #13 of 22 Old 09-11-2011, 06:55 PM

Garage
so if i wanted a MM k member AND wanted to keep the stock spring set up..I could use the AJE front arms with spring perches? everything would work together?
post #14 of 22 Old 09-12-2011, 12:26 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlanoux View Post
Sorry but to me if a person is considering chopping up a K member for STREET use I sure as hell wouldnt use a drag race style K like QA-1 or UPR. Both have the bare minimum amount of metal and ZERO bracing on the control arm mounting tabs where it is most important IMOP because that is probably the highest load point on the K. I would not be one bit supprised to find cracked welds via some NDI on some of these K's that have seen extended street use. Lighter is not always better.
post #15 of 22 Old 09-12-2011, 02:07 PM

kreg90, if you wanted to run your MM K-member and keep stock spring location, you would need both the AJE control arms with spring perches AND the AJE bolt-in upper perches for the k-member.

post #16 of 22 Old 09-12-2011, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

with the MM k member, what kinda issues are we looking at when using stock arms? was reading on modded mustang forums that a user there was able to integrate 03 arms on the mm unit with no issues. the thread was from 08, but seemed to relate somewhat. joined the forum, but the used hasnt been on since early 2010.

1990 LINCOLN MARK VII SE

post #17 of 22 Old 09-13-2011, 05:00 AM

That I can't tell you, as I have aftermarket arms. BUT (I make an assumption here) being that all aftermarket Tube K-members are based on (mostly) factory geometry (mounting points and space between control arm mounting flanges) I would say you should be able to run stock arms. The only thing that I see causing problems fit-wise is the fact that the stock arms are bigger around at the bushing/mounting hole, and may rub on the k-member as they cycle up and down.

post #18 of 22 Old 10-10-2011, 07:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
Note near the end of the MM K-member description - stock a-arms will NOT work due to the larger bushing material. MM K-member for Mustang, 1979-95 [MMKM-1] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!
post #19 of 22 Old 10-11-2011, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
Note near the end of the MM K-member description - stock a-arms will NOT work due to the larger bushing material. MM K-member for Mustang, 1979-95 [MMKM-1] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!
with that said, what about the redsigned 03-04 cobra arms? the arms are very different where the bushing and metal are. would anyone happen to have a set of 03-04 arms that can measure from the center of the bushing hole to the outer most edge of where the bushing rides(measure towards the k member)? it just seems these arms might be the exception on a MM k member. they dont look as beefy or have the high shoulder where the bushing is.

1990 LINCOLN MARK VII SE

post #20 of 22 Old 10-13-2011, 08:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark007 View Post
with that said, what about the redsigned 03-04 cobra arms? the arms are very different where the bushing and metal are. would anyone happen to have a set of 03-04 arms that can measure from the center of the bushing hole to the outer most edge of where the bushing rides(measure towards the k member)? it just seems these arms might be the exception on a MM k member. they dont look as beefy or have the high shoulder where the bushing is.
I have 04 Mach 1 arms and they seem no different in the bushing area than any other sn95 arm (save for the bushing itself being a higher durometer rating). Now the back side has a deeper stamping designed for more clearance for the wider wheels, but that is all of a redesign that I am aware of. One other thing about the MM K-member; it is designed with the front wheelbase moved forward .75". You can buy their a-arms in three configurations: .75" forward offset (when combined with the K'soffset = 1.5" forward); zero offset (similar to stock but when combined with the k's offset stil .75" forward); .75" reverse offset (puts the wheelbase back to stock with the MM K-member). So, if you use another brand a-arm with the MM K in order to keep the air-ride, you will still be faced with the forward offset and perhaps a misalignment of your spring perches.
post #21 of 22 Old 12-24-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
just re-read this an even though the mark is on a fox platform it uses sn-95 length A arms. but since this thread i have bought a MM K member, and MM sn-95 A arms. im no welder by any means, but had some work done on the to make what i wanted. hope to have pics up by the new year.

1990 LINCOLN MARK VII SE

post #22 of 22 Old 12-25-2011, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

with alil more research time and talking to a few individuals i decided to go with MaximumMotorsports tubular K-member and their tubular sn-95 A arms. their product is truly topnotch. also for what i have planned to do in this car, i couldnt have gone any other route. let me know what you guys think and see. especially jack hidley if you see this.

i have more pics and info here if interested at the bottom of page 4.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/206373...ark-vii/page-4

1990 LINCOLN MARK VII SE

Last edited by mark007; 12-30-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement