Front brake pad backing plate failed, caliper bracket at fault? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-05-2011, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Front brake pad backing plate failed, caliper bracket at fault?

I've had Hawk HPS's on the car for around 2 years and at yesterday's autocross the driver side front brake started making a nasty scraping noise when I got on them hard and it rattled like crazy over bumps on the way home.

I pulled the caliper off tonight and found the problem...

The passenger side wasn't quite as bad but it still had the same thing going on.

I put the new pads on and when I put the pins in they really do sit on the spot where the old pads failed instead of sitting in the curved part where it looks like they're supposed to go. I'm wondering if my caliper brackets have opened up a bit from being beat on for so long (185,000+ miles) but I've never heard of that and I couldn't find anything in a few searches. Any ideas???

MM subs, springs, and cc plates, Koni SA's, Steeda x2's, front bar, and bumpsteer kit
DBA Rotors, Hawk HPS's, FRPP 3.73's, Eaton diff, and 17x9 Cobra R's with 285 Kuhmo XS's
2008 SJ SCCA Rookie of the Year and 2010/2011 SJ SCCA Solo Chair
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-06-2011, 06:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
new car time!! just playin ciotti. your idea about the caliper might be on the right idea, but i would think it would be the caliper cage that has maybe opened up a tad or something. Next time you stop by it would be easy enough to pop a wheel off and try the same pad in your caliper and mine and see how much room there is.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
facebook.com/rhrperformancellc/
2013, 2016-217 NASA Northeast American Iron Champion
post #3 of 8 Old 09-06-2011, 06:37 PM

Check your front spindles, especially if they are from RaceCraft. Brake pad problems can be an early sign of failure:

Spindle separation

'87 Fox C-Prepared Mustang
2013, 2015 Pacific NW Regional Champ
Car has trophied at 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 SCCA Nationals
Zero scrub SLA front end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-06-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks 87, there's something else for us to check AJ

MM subs, springs, and cc plates, Koni SA's, Steeda x2's, front bar, and bumpsteer kit
DBA Rotors, Hawk HPS's, FRPP 3.73's, Eaton diff, and 17x9 Cobra R's with 285 Kuhmo XS's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-07-2011, 08:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
Thought I read somewhere that the Cobra PBRs tend to "clamshell" with repeated, heavy use; something about the mounting system and design of the caliper. Hence, the switch to the Brembos on the Cobra R. Maybe that is what happened. Are the pads worn unevenly, say at an angle (can't see from the pics)?

Last edited by qtrracer; 09-07-2011 at 08:16 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-08-2011, 05:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
clamshelling is when the caliper opens up. usually the calliper is a nice U shape. Imagine the U opening up and looking like a V instead.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
facebook.com/rhrperformancellc/
2013, 2016-217 NASA Northeast American Iron Champion
post #7 of 8 Old 09-08-2011, 06:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudnslow98gt View Post
clamshelling is when the caliper opens up. usually the calliper is a nice U shape. Imagine the U opening up and looking like a V instead.
I know. So if clamshelling occurs, what happens to the locating pins? Think they might move around and damage the pads a little, perhaps like the pics above? Just offering a theory.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-08-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

The pads actually wore perfectly even other than the fact that the back of the rotors were being pushed upwards so the grooves in the pad face track upwards and off the top of the pads!

AJ, Al mentioned he thought it may be that the slots in my slotted rotors are pushing up on the caliper and that may be what caused this but I still feel like the bracket/cage has opened up because the pin just doesn't sit at all where it should with the new pads.

What I think I'm going to do is order one new bracket and new pins from Ford and see how that lines up, I can't imagine the bracket will be too expensive. While I have everything apart I'll check my stock spindle as well to make sure it's not cracked or anything odd.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement