MM K-member or Koni shock revalve? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 08-22-2011, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
MM K-member or Koni shock revalve?

Trying to figure out my next plan of attack. The car has all the of the MM pieces except for K-member, and adjustable rear bar. I've got roughly a grand to spend, so I'm trying to see what would be more beneficial. I know that the choices are a bit different, but both would help the overall performance of the vehicle, so here goes.

1. MM K-member. Supposed to really improve front end grip of the Mustang. Just how much? I have no idea, and I don't know anyone personally who ran it on their car, so I have no first hand experience on how much traction it provides over stock. If it's anything like torque arm transformation was, I'd be very interested.

2. Revalved Koni shocks and struts. I've got MM coil over setup front and back. Running 350 / 250 springs rates, still on stock Koni SA. On quick transitions the car feels a little loose, which is a bit weird with the springs rates at stiff as they are. I'm thinking that the shocks are just not keeping up as well as they should, and I've reached the limits of what SAs will valve. It's not bouncy yet, and I'm not getting wheel hop, but valving could definitely be more aggressive.

So, which way should I go? I'm leaning more toward K-member, just because it would seem like a better mod at this point, since I'm not going stiffer on springs for a while, and it's weight off the car, not to mention better weight distribution. If anyone has any first hand experience with MM k-member, your input would be great.

94 Mustang GT. Stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-22-2011, 11:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (17)
i run MM bilstein race valved 3 their best set up. I have 550 up front and 700lb rear (IRS) but let me tell you. when i did the K-member with delrin bushings rack bushings and all supporting mods I was skeptical at first but man when i drive the car its telepathic. it turns before i know it. crazy improvement over stock k-member. make sure you take your time to adjust your caster camber toe and especially bumpsteer.

RACE CAR IN PROGRESS 01 COBRA,MM Race 3Valved bilsteins with front/rear Coilovers,ARH LT's,ACT Flywheel,SFI UDP's,EGR Delete,3.55's, JLT RAI. Dyno Tune302RWHP 298TorqueDD02 GT,Flowmasters,4.10,K&N RAI, 75mmTB/Plenum,MM rear LCA,Front LCA,Panhard Bar,Subframes,CC Plates.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-22-2011, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
I figure I'll probably set bumpsteer as close to 0 as I can, like it is right now, but how should I get around the alignment? Right now I'm at -2.3 degrees of camber and around 5.5 caster, and it seems to be working well.

94 Mustang GT. Stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-23-2011, 04:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicaR View Post
2. Revalved Koni shocks and struts. I've got MM coil over setup front and back. Running 350 / 250 springs rates, still on stock Koni SA. On quick transitions the car feels a little loose, which is a bit weird with the springs rates at stiff as they are. I'm thinking that the shocks are just not keeping up as well as they should, and I've reached the limits of what SAs will valve. It's not bouncy yet, and I'm not getting wheel hop, but valving could definitely be more aggressive.
Unless you are getting a "pogo" effect, there is no need to revalve the Koni's for those low spring rates. Sounds like you have too much rebound damping.

Decreasing the rebound damping in the rear will improve rear grip especially during transitions.

'87 Fox C-Prepared Mustang
2013, 2015 Pacific NW Regional Champ
Car has trophied at 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 SCCA Nationals
Zero scrub SLA front end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement