Stifflers Web Brace - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old 08-06-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Stifflers Web Brace

About to pick up a pair of their "stiffening rails" to make jacking up my car less of a pain. Read about the web brace in MM&FF a few weeks ago and found it somewhat interesting. Looks very similar to the KB Matrix setup, which I recall reading is useless, but I can't find much if any info on why. Anyone have some tech regarding why a matrix/web setup does or does not improve chassis rigidity in a meaningful way?

Web Brace 79-04 Mustang

2004 Mach 1
Maximum Motorsports TA/PHB, Coilovers, SFCs, Bilsteins, etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 08-06-2011, 08:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
I put the KB "Extreme Matrix" braces with jacking rails and SFCs on my 01 Cobra Vert. That addition (about 27lbs) really stiffened the car. For example, unlke my 86 Vert with just standard length SFCs, I can place a jack on the jacking rail about a third of the way from either the front or rear wheels, and raise three wheels off the ground. But what is impressive is that I can open and close the doors with it in the air and there is very little to no misalignment. However, this system is illegal for certain classes. On my vert that is a non-issue since it is a street car, but in my personal experience on a vert the system works as advertised.

post #3 of 46 Old 08-07-2011, 07:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I have been told having and not having the extra bracing is like the difference in having and not having subframe connectors. I plan on making my own when I move back home in a couple of months
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 Old 08-08-2011, 07:46 AM

You don't need 200$ worth of skeleton under your car to have a simple jack location.

Honestly, if you visit your local metal supplier/fab shop, you can purchase some thick-ish rectangle stock for about 40 bucks. Then just pay someone 20-40 bucks to tack it on the pinch weld.

If that "matrix" system was such a great invention, MM would've done it and perfected it long ago.

I have no matrix system on my car and have used the rockers(with tube)as a jacking point for over 5 years now.
post #5 of 46 Old 08-08-2011, 05:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT View Post
If that "matrix" system was such a great invention, MM would've done it and perfected it long ago.
It is a "great system", and illegal in all classes except perhaps full-zoot race cars. At that point, I'm sure there is something better. In any event, this is all academic. For a street car, especialy a vert, this matrix system is better than plain vanilla SFCs but come with an added weight penalty and the class limitation issue. I too have used the other jacking points on the 86 for over 15 years, and those points show the scars. Not so with the jacking rails (now about 10 years old).
post #6 of 46 Old 08-08-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You don't need 200$ worth of skeleton under your car to have a simple jack location.

Honestly, if you visit your local metal supplier/fab shop, you can purchase some thick-ish rectangle stock for about 40 bucks. Then just pay someone 20-40 bucks to tack it on the pinch weld.

I have no matrix system on my car and have used the rockers(with tube)as a jacking point for over 5 years now.
This is the logic I keep seeing. Makes sense to an extent, but where's the tech? And I never said I need "$200 worth of skeleton" to jack my car up. Was simply wondering if adding a matrix/web/ladder brace setup between jacking rails an SFCs has any meaningful effect on chassis rigidity.

2004 Mach 1
Maximum Motorsports TA/PHB, Coilovers, SFCs, Bilsteins, etc
post #7 of 46 Old 08-08-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcodeStang View Post
This is the logic I keep seeing. Makes sense to an extent, but where's the tech?
I don't ask MM for their shock dyno's on their Bilstein dampers....I just trust the people that build them, use them, win with them and sell them to me.
post #8 of 46 Old 08-09-2011, 01:51 AM

Come on, so you're going to tell me that SLA systems, watts links, third links, and PHBs with more adjustments than a single slot have no place in road racing?

MM doesn't make any of these, there are other Mustang suspension companies that do. They've also won a lot of races.

I can guarantee you that jacking rails have their place in my MM equipped Mustang. It's been a real bitch to jack that thing up without them and with the TA there and the ride height set to optimum levels (gotta drive up on boards to get the jack under the k-member). Does MM sell those? Nope. Do they sell SFCs that someone could make at home? Yup.

Those web thingies do tie the SFCs to the jacking rails along the same line as where the SFCs attach to the subframes as well as between them. If there's any flex in full length SFCs, these look like they could help. Is it enough to be worth the money and weight penalty or to be noticable to the driver? I have no idea but I'd hardly just discount it based on the fact that MM or whoever else doesn't do it.

I would require some tech for that decision. That being said, I will be doing jacking rails, I doubt I'd do the web braces without some convincing that they do actually work.

Last edited by MJ91GT; 08-09-2011 at 01:54 AM.
post #9 of 46 Old 08-09-2011, 03:11 AM

I think you're reading WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much into this.....

Also, I don't think one company or another can perfect a jacking rail. It'd be like one wheel company saying "Our wheels are the most round in the industry!!".
post #10 of 46 Old 08-09-2011, 03:56 AM

I'm just saying that there's no tech on either side of the argument of waste of money vs not.

There's not much tech in SFCs etiher to be honest. We all just know they work because it's common sense. If that were the case here (in either direction) the topic would be pointless.

...and your right about jacking rails as a standalone component, all they need to do is shore up the pinch seam from collapsing when you jack up the car. There doesn't need to be any tech in that either other than don't use too small a piece of square tube.

post #11 of 46 Old 08-09-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I think you're reading WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much into this.....

Also, I don't think one company or another can perfect a jacking rail. It'd be like one wheel company saying "Our wheels are the most round in the industry!!".

If you look on our website, no where will you find a product named "jacking rail". We never had the intention of using it as a "jacking rail". After performing our test it was very evident a "stiffening rail" was needed there to increase "stiffness", not just be a place to jack up the car. And yes, even after adding the stiffening rail, the car still had too much twist, thus the WEB brace and Spider brace were designed and produced.

In your own words ....I just trust the people that build them, use them, win with them and sell them to me.
Well ........

Last edited by Stifflers; 08-09-2011 at 01:13 PM.
post #12 of 46 Old 08-10-2011, 12:27 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ91GT View Post
I'm just saying that there's no tech on either side of the argument of waste of money vs not.

There's not much tech in SFCs etiher to be honest. We all just know they work because it's common sense. If that were the case here (in either direction) the topic would be pointless.

...and your right about jacking rails as a standalone component, all they need to do is shore up the pinch seam from collapsing when you jack up the car. There doesn't need to be any tech in that either other than don't use too small a piece of square tube.
There's LOTS of tech on subframe connectors. It's just not easily accessible, and even less so now that its main provider has been run off the forums for providing actual tech and people mistaking it as advertising. In the absence of mathematical tech, close your eyes and think deeeep thoughts about things like actual load paths and how much the x-bracing of something like a subframe connector can really affect the torsional rigidity of a car, and how much it can really add to the bending rigidity compared to a properly mounted standard beam.
post #13 of 46 Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
...and even less so now that its main provider has been run off the forums for providing actual tech and people mistaking it as advertising.
to whom are you referring?

Got Vic?
ESP Build Thread: corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=916068
post #14 of 46 Old 08-10-2011, 04:45 PM

I think maybe Mr. Hidley.
post #15 of 46 Old 08-10-2011, 05:04 PM

What makes me absolutely laugh is that by telling him he was advertising (which he wasn't, I read that thread) and running him off, there's less reason to come to this forum, which equals less clicks, which equals fewer advertisers.
post #16 of 46 Old 08-12-2011, 09:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (24)
Quote:
What makes me absolutely laugh is that by telling him he was advertising (which he wasn't, I read that thread) and running him off, there's less reason to come to this forum, which equals less clicks, which equals fewer advertisers.
I absolutely agree. What a shame.

One of the very best go to guys on this forum when it comes to mustang suspensions.

91 Road Racing Fox. N/A 383W. Full MM setup front and rear with Bilstein coil-overs. 14x1.25 Wilwood 6 piston fronts with Wilwood 13x1 single piston rears.
486rwhp/ 430rwtq
post #17 of 46 Old 08-15-2011, 02:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Quote:
I think maybe Mr. Hidley.
That sucks!

He is an asset to the Mustang community.

-Eric
post #18 of 46 Old 08-16-2011, 10:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (17)
Quote:
Wait, really?? what happen, which was the thread? was it a FTBR thread?

RACE CAR IN PROGRESS 01 COBRA,MM Race 3Valved bilsteins with front/rear Coilovers,ARH LT's,ACT Flywheel,SFI UDP's,EGR Delete,3.55's, JLT RAI. Dyno Tune302RWHP 298TorqueDD02 GT,Flowmasters,4.10,K&N RAI, 75mmTB/Plenum,MM rear LCA,Front LCA,Panhard Bar,Subframes,CC Plates.
post #19 of 46 Old 08-24-2011, 11:22 AM
USAF retired

Trader Feedback: (41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsvo View Post
That sucks!

He is an asset to the Mustang community.

-Eric
Indeed, sucks to hear that, I guess Dave Z, Woody and Ed Curtis should be pulling out too if the tech they provide in other forums is advertising. Or, did this have something to do with MM not being a paid advertiser?

1985 LTD LX, small truck motor, painted axle tubes, various mustang stuff.
1990 LX, junkyard explorer motor, ported explorer heads and intakes, weenie cam, 1.7s, 4.30s, stock T5 living on borrowed time. [email protected]X so far
1984 LTD station wagon (Former Dugan Racing wagon) in work
post #20 of 46 Old 08-24-2011, 12:36 PM
CSG

Trader Feedback: (18)
Mr. Hidley helped me imensely with my race car setup and street car misc. If he starts posting on a different forum someone please let me know as my "go-to entertainment site" may well change. Hell corral should have been paying him for what he provided to this forum.
post #21 of 46 Old 08-25-2011, 09:33 AM

I don't think I've seen Strano post in a while either.

Got Vic?
post #22 of 46 Old 08-25-2011, 09:57 AM
CSG

we ran strano off not the powers that be...
post #23 of 46 Old 08-25-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
we ran strano off not the powers that be...
Strano's been busy setting up and driving a Corvette GS. I'm sure he's active on some Corvette forum. Will be interesting to see how he does at Nationals end of this month.

'87 Fox C-Prepared Mustang
2013, 2015 Pacific NW Regional Champ
Car has trophied at 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 SCCA Nationals
Zero scrub SLA front end
post #24 of 46 Old 08-28-2011, 01:51 PM

Looks like Madarash came out ahead of him in the ProSolo (ESP):

2011 ProSolo ESP Preliminary Results

Trans Am > Mustang.

Zero scrub SLA front end
post #25 of 46 Old 08-28-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Fox5.0 View Post
Trans Am > Mustang.
Wonder how Sam would have done had he the newer hardware (Boss)...

Word is that TA has a Firehawk spec L98 - Formula Firehawk

Got Vic?
post #26 of 46 Old 08-28-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicbaby View Post
Word is that TA has a Firehawk spec L98 - Formula Firehawk
That is impressive.. would it be legal for ESP?

Zero scrub SLA front end
post #27 of 46 Old 08-28-2011, 07:21 PM

It's been a looooong time since I looked into all that. But I seem to remember there were 2 engine options available in the Firehawk, and the standard version is what's legal. I think there was also a 366 or something like that, and it wasn't legal. The trick is getting the engine specs documented.

That TA has been run at the national level for years now, so it's legal and well documented.

On Edit:
Maybe it was the cam that was hard to document? I don't remember, it was a long time ago now.

Got Vic?

Last edited by vicbaby; 08-28-2011 at 07:25 PM.
post #28 of 46 Old 08-28-2011, 08:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Madarash has been racing that car since at least the 90s, when I used to auto-x in Texas with some frequency. The car started off as a 350 auto, iirc, and one of his first major mods was to throw in a 5-speed. It's an incredibly well-sorted 3rd gen with a driver who knows it in and out. IIRC, Madarash cut his teeth auto-x'ing fox bodies.
post #29 of 46 Old 08-28-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurdraco View Post
It's an incredibly well-sorted 3rd gen with a driver who knows it in and out. IIRC, Madarash cut his teeth auto-x'ing fox bodies.
The guy's a legend nothing short of surgical with that car. Found a vid of him on google:

Madarash ESP Car

I'd be surprised if he didn't win ESP again this year.

Zero scrub SLA front end
post #30 of 46 Old 08-29-2011, 07:12 AM

Strano was probably running a solid swaybar instead of the weight saving hollow swaybar. That's worth .5 right there.
post #31 of 46 Old 08-30-2011, 11:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
So if I add two more bars to my four point swing set it will make it more stable. But the swingset is fine without the two bars. That is like saying a toilet has 1 gallon flush so you add 1 more gallon so it flushes the poo even better. But the 1 gallon flush did the job to begin with.

Look at the platform you dealing with it is a wet noodle. You can add all the xtra bracing you want and go lift a front corner and the thing will flex somewhere. Foxbodys are light for a reason, sheetmetal with occasional welded sheetmetal, not a lot of bracing. The idea way back in the day was to make a economical mid size sedan for dad to go to work and mom to get grocerys. Hence why in 2005 those mustangs were design with structure first, but with it comes weight. But suspension companys will make a bunch of stiffening braces for something that doesn't require it, because it was common on the previous models so it must be ok.

Anyone with SFC's usually will jack on the SFC and it if it is good quality it will lift on side of the car.

Take a fox convertible and take out the back seat and roof parts. From the window to the rear sheetmetal tail panel the only crossbracing is that thin sheetmetal decoration between the trunk lid and the convertible top.

Just because one company does somthing that nobody else does, doesn't make it wrong. Everyone has there own ideas and tested methods on the track and in theory.

I thought MM was the best also, but I have dealt with some of their stuff and found it was ok. Like now love full tilt boogies IRS stuff. I also like Griggs thru the floor subframes, but don't care to straddle a bar either.

As long as the company selling the product knows what they are doing and what they are talking about, that is what matters.

2014 Camaro 1LE
2001 Cobra White SOLD
1989 Mustang GT "F0xR0d" SOLD
12.49 @ 116.8 mph (BFG KDW Street tire)

Last edited by carrew; 08-30-2011 at 11:55 PM.
post #32 of 46 Old 08-31-2011, 08:24 AM
CSG

Just to add something that I find interesting. My 98 does not have connectors. It does have a full cage with double bars on each side but just a basic cage overall. You can jack the car up and put one jackstand at opposite corners of the car. While it is balancing on these two stands the doors open/shut 95% normal.
post #33 of 46 Old 08-31-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Strano was probably running a solid swaybar instead of the weight saving hollow swaybar. That's worth .5 right there.
Got beat out by the Lotus Elise, by 1.4 sec. That's about 7 car lengths.

http://sololive.scca.com/SS.html

Zero scrub SLA front end
post #34 of 46 Old 08-31-2011, 02:09 PM

I give the guy credit, he's an incredible driver. Puttin' .5 on the guy is down right impressive...... 1.4 seconds and you gotta wonder how badly classed that car actually is!
post #35 of 46 Old 08-31-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I give the guy credit, he's an incredible driver. Puttin' .5 on the guy is down right impressive...... 1.4 seconds and you gotta wonder how badly classed that car actually is!
Word is it was a very narrow course (more suited to Lotus's, Miatas, and that ilk) so the Vette was at a disadvantage. No wonder the CP times seemed relatively slow.

Also, the dude in the Lotus Elise had 3 sets of tires and was actually changing tires after each run. Unfair advantage IMHO.

There ought to be a rule, stick with the same tires all three runs, unless changing from dry's to wet's or vice versa. Else it's just another money game - who could afford the most tires and who could afford to pay a pit crew. Some crazy $h!t.

Zero scrub SLA front end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement