Torque Arm and LSD - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-25-2011, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: winston salem
Posts: 1,382
Torque Arm and LSD

I am getting closer to pulling the trigger on a Torque Arm and it seems that no matter what you do to a car there is always one or more unintended consequences. The most recent thing that I have thought of is that I wonder if the increased rear grip caused the LSD to go out quicker and need rebuilt more often. Any thoughts or experience out there?


2003 Azure mach1 5 speed with IUP
Maximum Motorsports R&T Box with Torque Arm
2012 Candy Red Metalic Premium Brembo GT w/373
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 07-25-2011, 10:35 AM
MFE
Super Moderator
 
MFE's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (9)
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 27,649
Not a concern.

MFE is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 07-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Registered User
 
aurdraco's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (9)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,614
It's actually LESS of a concern if your PHB connects to the axle on the passenger side.
aurdraco is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 07-25-2011, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: winston salem
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurdraco View Post
It's actually LESS of a concern if your PHB connects to the axle on the passenger side.
I believe that my MM PHB connects on the DS.

2003 Azure mach1 5 speed with IUP
Maximum Motorsports R&T Box with Torque Arm
2012 Candy Red Metalic Premium Brembo GT w/373
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 07-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Registered User
 
That89GTGuy's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 49
Blog Entries: 9
The MM torque arm connects to where the vibration dampener on the axle housing is, more or less. Not sure about the diff, but why not get a Torsen diff? No clutches to rebuild.

1989 Mustang GT: 5.0, 5spd --- Sold. SVO brakes, MM suspension bits, 331ci, X pipe.

2012 Mustang V6PP 6spd MT --- Daily Driver, D Stock auto crosser, maybe track days some time...
That89GTGuy is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 07-26-2011, 06:53 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (8)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 730
This is a first for me to hear, but I think it wouldnt have anything to do with the placement of the TA or even how the PHB mounts (driver or passenger sides). Are you sure that the both rear tires have the same roll out's? Are you doing John Force burn outs every stop light or Are you driving in circles all day long? How much and how soon are you rebuilding the LSD units? If the PHB or TA is causing the LSD to wear out, then they must be doing their intended jobs (by making the LSD slip, and not causing either tire to break loose). And if it is actually just the fact that the LSD are wearing out prematurally then look into doing a TrueTrac (the units that have the worm gears).
And I think that for the street, nothing beats a good and properly installed TA and PHB from Maxi.
Also, is the oil level in the diff correct?

Last edited by wizwrath; 07-26-2011 at 06:57 AM.
wizwrath is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 07-26-2011, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: winston salem
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwrath View Post
This is a first for me to hear, but I think it wouldnt have anything to do with the placement of the TA or even how the PHB mounts (driver or passenger sides). Are you sure that the both rear tires have the same roll out's? Are you doing John Force burn outs every stop light or Are you driving in circles all day long? How much and how soon are you rebuilding the LSD units? If the PHB or TA is causing the LSD to wear out, then they must be doing their intended jobs (by making the LSD slip, and not causing either tire to break loose). And if it is actually just the fact that the LSD are wearing out prematurally then look into doing a TrueTrac (the units that have the worm gears).
And I think that for the street, nothing beats a good and properly installed TA and PHB from Maxi.
Also, is the oil level in the diff correct?
I guess my thought is that with soooo much more rear grip the clutches would experience more abuse because the tires are less likely to lose grip and spin. It's the same idea that sticky rear tires cause trans/clutch abuse.

2003 Azure mach1 5 speed with IUP
Maximum Motorsports R&T Box with Torque Arm
2012 Candy Red Metalic Premium Brembo GT w/373
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 07-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Registered User
 
2k2GT's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lenoir City, TN
Posts: 6,493
If the clutches in the LSD aren't slipping/spinning....then there is less wear. Kind of like a slipping trans produces more heat/quicker death.
2k2GT is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 07-28-2011, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: winston salem
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT View Post
If the clutches in the LSD aren't slipping/spinning....then there is less wear. Kind of like a slipping trans produces more heat/quicker death.
More rear grip could make them slip where before the tires would just spin.

2003 Azure mach1 5 speed with IUP
Maximum Motorsports R&T Box with Torque Arm
2012 Candy Red Metalic Premium Brembo GT w/373
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 07-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Registered User
 
2k2GT's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lenoir City, TN
Posts: 6,493
The only way the clutches wear out is when one wheel is turning faster than the other. When both wheels are turning the same speed(pure grip), the whole unit is rotating as one with zero friction between the plats/discs.

Maybe i'm failing to see your ideology on this subject...

2k2GT is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 07-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Registered User
 
dpspeed's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 354
I think he is just wondering if MORE rear grip will cause the LSD to wear out faster, therefore, while he's got the car at the shop getting the TA welding done, should he get a new or repack the LSD.

I think most people just wait til it wears out, then do it. I'm also thinking that I don't remember anyone saying they put a TA in and now it's blowing through LSDs...

96 Maximum Motorsports Cobra + AST 4200s
DD 10 VW GTI DSG | OZ Superturismo GT
dpspeed is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 07-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Registered User
 
2k2GT's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lenoir City, TN
Posts: 6,493
The TA articulates better and puts down power better than the OE setup. I don't see how a faster wearing clutch type LSD would even be in the equation. Hell, i'd say a plain old open rear diff would put power down BETTER with the added grip of the TA.
2k2GT is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 07-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Registered User
 
dpspeed's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT View Post
The TA articulates better and puts down power better than the OE setup. I don't see how a faster wearing clutch type LSD would even be in the equation. Hell, i'd say a plain old open rear diff would put power down BETTER with the added grip of the TA.
I wish he would just go ahead and buy it, I'm ready to drive it

96 Maximum Motorsports Cobra + AST 4200s
DD 10 VW GTI DSG | OZ Superturismo GT
dpspeed is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 07-28-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: winston salem
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpspeed View Post
I wish he would just go ahead and buy it, I'm ready to drive it
Yeah,yeah,yeah.It's getting done next Friday.

2003 Azure mach1 5 speed with IUP
Maximum Motorsports R&T Box with Torque Arm
2012 Candy Red Metalic Premium Brembo GT w/373
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome