Koni/bilstein vs penske/moton - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-20-2011, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
CSG

Trader Feedback: (18)
Koni/bilstein vs penske/moton

I am wondering if anyone has experience comparing the usual shock/strut packages vs something like a penske or moton. I have read that penske has a strut for out cars (have not seen one) I do not know if moton has a strut for our cars. The Porsche guys have claimed a two second improvement when switching from koni's to moton at our local track 1.2x lap times. I have read the same by an AI racer discussing swapping from Bilsteins to penske's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-20-2011, 12:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I don't think Penske makes shocks that are direct bolt-in to a Fox Mustang; I've searched and didn't find them either. (Anyone, correct me on this if I am wrong.... and please provide the part number.)

I think you have to provide specs and have them custom made.

'87 Fox C-Prepared Mustang
2013, 2015 Pacific NW Regional Champ
Car has trophied at 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 SCCA Nationals
Zero scrub SLA front end

Last edited by 87Fox5.0; 07-20-2011 at 12:59 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-20-2011, 02:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Fox5.0 View Post
I don't think Penske makes shocks that are direct bolt-in to a Fox Mustang; I've searched and didn't find them either. (Anyone, correct me on this if I am wrong.... and please provide the part number.)

I think you have to provide specs and have them custom made.
I think this is correct too.

Moton has been bought by AST Suspension. See more

AST actually does the dampers for Roush Performance in the Grand Am Continental Tire Challenge series. They are 5220s (2 way adjustable)

I know that CMC2 National Champ, Jeremy Kellam ran AST 4100s (singles) last year...maybe try contacting him or just call AST and ask for Brian or Stuart.

AST's aren't THAT much of a step up from a full MM Bilstein coilover kit and you get more 'custom' service.

I'd be interested to see if anyone is running them around here and after I get my car sorted, this is the direction I am moving in...

96 Maximum Motorsports Cobra + AST 4200s
DD 10 VW GTI DSG | OZ Superturismo GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-20-2011, 03:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Lots more auto-x'ers and CMC guys in Texas are going to ASTs. Brian Hanchey, the USA AST rep, is an old friend of mine and top-level auto-x'er from the Texas A&M Sports Car Club. I know that Hanchey recently brought his crew to College Station for an AST test n' tune day where various AST users took a ton of runs while Hanchey tweaked their shocks (Kent Kroll, Terry Fair of Vorschlag, Todd Farris, Doug Willie, etc.). Kellam also races in CMC2 in Texas, often at Texas World Speedway in College Station. I wouldn't be surprised if Hanchey had provided hands on tech and setting help for him as Hanchey is dedicated to doing whatever it takes to get AST users in the winning circle. I wouldn't be surprised if we soon hear that Maximum Motorsports is selling ASTs.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-22-2011, 06:05 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Kind of OT, but Agent47 uses Penskes on their SLA. They have a different attachment though than the factory setup.

1993 GT 310rwhp / 351rwtq
AFR FTI EDEL Combo. MM, T-56 3.73, Brembo, 275s on 03 Cobras all around
post #6 of 12 Old 07-22-2011, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
CSG

I have emailed for more information on the AST offerings. I have mounted "circle track" style shocks on the rear and it is fairly easy. Struts are where we need a specific piece. I will update when I have more info.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-26-2011, 09:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
I have emailed for more information on the AST offerings. I have mounted "circle track" style shocks on the rear and it is fairly easy. Struts are where we need a specific piece. I will update when I have more info.
Any updates on this from AST?

'87 Fox C-Prepared Mustang
2013, 2015 Pacific NW Regional Champ
Car has trophied at 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 SCCA Nationals
Zero scrub SLA front end
post #8 of 12 Old 07-26-2011, 11:31 PM
US Army Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (34)
Quote:
Can't ears be welded onto cartridges that are the correct length? IIRC that's how MM series Bilsteins are constructed.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 07:22 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
The Bilsteins are easy; because of the inverted design the actual strut can be easily removed to allow welding on the tube. Not sure about standard struts.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTCobra347 View Post
Can't ears be welded onto cartridges that are the correct length? IIRC that's how MM series Bilsteins are constructed.
Here is a picture of the CMC shocks/struts on their website. From my understanding, these are the 4100s, which are single adjustable monotubes. I would be more interested in a 5100, which is also a single adjustable monotube, BUT, it could be upgraded to a 2 way or 3 way dampers over time, without having to ditch the setup and buy something else. They can also revalve just about anything.

In the BMW world (check out bimmerforums.com), lots of people run ASTs and it sounds like you could really fine tune your damper package (autocross/road racing/time trial) over time with ASTs direction and guidance. They've really dominated this year vs. Koni in the Grand Am Continental Tire series. I'd love to have a set for my bimmer, but it would really make more sense to get some for my track car, but I'm just not there yet...still sorting out things, but this is probably where I plan to end up...

Last edited by dpspeed; 07-27-2011 at 09:01 AM.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
CSG

I did get a reply from AST but to be honest dpspeed's posts have provided more information then the reply I received. My fault as I asked a vague question. I would really like a full sales pitch of what AST has to offer. The reply did state that they can do pretty much anything, but I am still left to wonder exactly what I can buy and what it would cost other then the 4100 series stuff. Also not sure what a fully complete coilover setup based off the 4100 would cost.

This is what I received:

Scott,
WE can do just about anything. We have a 4100 kit for CMC that is a scaled down version of the typical 4100 kit that we'd usually add springs, etc to. Shocks only would be $1598. Springs are $75 each.

Brian
post #12 of 12 Old 07-28-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I did get a reply from AST but to be honest dpspeed's posts have provided more information then the reply I received. My fault as I asked a vague question. I would really like a full sales pitch of what AST has to offer. The reply did state that they can do pretty much anything, but I am still left to wonder exactly what I can buy and what it would cost other then the 4100 series stuff. Also not sure what a fully complete coilover setup based off the 4100 would cost.

This is what I received:

Scott,
WE can do just about anything. We have a 4100 kit for CMC that is a scaled down version of the typical 4100 kit that we'd usually add springs, etc to. Shocks only would be $1598. Springs are $75 each.

Brian
I'm guessing the set of dampers is around $1800.

I think what isn't included is the top hat portion. I'm pretty sure CMC HAS to run conventional springs front and rear, thus, AST hasn't had to figure out the coilover part yet.

I just really want some adjustability and would prefer monotubes. Right now, the only off the shelf option is Koni DA, but they are twin tubes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement