Harness bars? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-01-2011, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Harness bars?

I was wondering if anyone uses or has experience with harness bars for their mustang. I want to get a driver side harness but not ready to go full tilt with a roll bar/cage just yet. Auto Racing Safety Equipment, Bell, Pyrotect & Kirkey Driving & Racing Helmets, Suits, Books Gloves Shoes & Seats - I/O Port Racing carries them but not sure how well it'd work or if they're even legal to use for HPDE. Any input? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-01-2011, 07:24 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Stable Energies, the manufacturer of the guide bars, recommends that you may mount your harnesses directly to the guide bar only for low-speed events. For high-speed events, they recommend that you mount your harnesses to the rear lap belt mounting location and use H-style harnesses looped over the guide bar. The bar is not strong enough to directly withstand the forces of a high-speed crash.

I/O Port recommends that you use a roll bar if doing high-speed events. Racing harnesses will lock your body in an upright position making your head the tallest thing in the car. In a rollover accident, the harnesses do not allow you to move and if the roof collapses, you could be killed.
A harness guide bar will allow you to install harnesses at more or less the proper height but have proven illegal for some Solo II classes.

Some guide bar applications may require bending of the brackets to match your B-pillar angle. If you bend these brackets the guide bar will not be returnable.

post #3 of 6 Old 07-01-2011, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Thanks for that info! I guess it's not a wise choice afterall!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-01-2011, 12:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Hit it on the head

No roll bar = no 5 pt harness

Now, if you want a roll bar, get one custom bent that doesn't mount on the floorpan unless it is heavily reinforced to reduce the chance of punching through.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-05-2011, 02:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
post #6 of 6 Old 07-07-2011, 01:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
I got mine from I/O Port I think for less than 100. bolts to where the existing seat belts go on the upper driver/passenger frame, and i welded tabs to it for my 5 point harness

I have exact name of company I got it from 5yrs ago at home, i believe it was ebay i ordered it from, but i am at work till 6p eastern if u want more info or pics email me branthornton on yahoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement