Does exhaust matter? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-30-2011, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
Does exhaust matter?

I am in the process of putting the car back together and was wondering should I go with headers on it. It will see some track time as in road course but not really drag racing. It is a 96 Cobra. Should I go with the stock manifolds for the road racing or long tubes or JBA shorties for it. I am just getting into the road racing. I am going with Maximum Motorsports suspension on it.

96 Cobra, Hooker LT's & off road x, worked heads, boral mufflers,3:73's,H&R race springs. SCT Tune
96 Tangerine GTS, 03 4V Avaitor Motor, H&R Race springs,Tokico adjustables, 2 Chamber flowmaster, Steeda Tri-Axe, SCT Custom Tune, SOLD
01 Zinc Yellow, auto, "THE WIFES CAR" SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-01-2011, 05:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Headers work the same whether you're drag or road racing. Their compromises are the same too. My personal belief is that long tubes are definately better but typically not worth the investment or hassle of install (some are harder to install than others, some brands are more expensive than others too) over shorties unless the rest of the engine is maximized for power and at specific RPMs where LTs give a more distinct advantage.

Stock manifolds were always designed as a compromise, the biggest problem is that the engineers who designed them needed them to be installed easily by an automated machine, thus they tend to be pinched off a bit where they meet the head. Many times they are also made of cast iron instead of other materials such as stainless steel also, making them heavier. I'm not well versed in the 4V engines and their manifolds so take my statement with a grain of salt.

Last edited by MJ91GT; 07-01-2011 at 05:57 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-02-2011, 09:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Before you start throwing parts on, what class are you looking to eventually run in? What is your budget? Etc? In my opinion, I'd invest my money in ALL the suspension and a good set of 17x10s before I added any power. I'd also have someone tune the car for the current mods just to make sure you don't have any lean spots (ask me how I know). Looks like you are in Raleigh, when is your next track day? I'm running with NASA at VIR in a few weeks.

96 Maximum Motorsports Cobra + AST 4200s
DD 10 VW GTI DSG | OZ Superturismo GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-03-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
I am still finishing the car. I have just gotten the heads back from the shop from getting a valve job and getting milled. I don't want to waste money or should I say spend money that is not needed right now and not be able to get the power to the ground. I am a firm believer on suspension then add power but having the heads off might be easier to get the headers on. But again funds are tight. Not sure of classes as I am just getting into this for the first time on a competition level. The car does not have a roll bar or anything as it will be my dd as well.

96 Cobra, Hooker LT's & off road x, worked heads, boral mufflers,3:73's,H&R race springs. SCT Tune
96 Tangerine GTS, 03 4V Avaitor Motor, H&R Race springs,Tokico adjustables, 2 Chamber flowmaster, Steeda Tri-Axe, SCT Custom Tune, SOLD
01 Zinc Yellow, auto, "THE WIFES CAR" SOLD
post #5 of 5 Old 07-04-2011, 01:13 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
With all you have invested in this upgrade, it is not worth going back to factory manifolds. Longtubes provide the best power, but JBA shorties have proven that they are not far behind. Get the ceramic coated headers if you can to minimize under hood heat. Since open tracking can be torture on a car, I like easy maintenance so I prefer shorties for a modular engine so that I can easily tear things down if I need to.

2012 Race Red GT
1998 Black GT (Open Track car) - TF 44cc Heads/Aviator SB, HP cams, BBK shorties, Delta Force tuning, MM Panhard LCA FCA Full subs CC plates coilovers, Koni Yellows, drop spindles, Brembo/Cobra brakes, 3.73 gears, truetrac diff
Track Videos - http://www.youtube.com/cxavier68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement